Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2010, 16:06   #1
Dan
Senior Member+

Stanley v Formby - August 1970: HELP!

Hi all
I'm in need of assistance!

Were you (or was somebody you know) at Stanley's first game after the reformation against Formby in the Lancashire Combination in August 1970?

I'm looking for memories, reflections, pictures, newspaper cuttings etc. from the day to help form part of a celebration of the 40th anniversary of the game.

I'm particularly keen to hear stories of people who were there - what it was like to see a team representing the town again, how the goals were celebrated, what the Crown was like at the time.

Also, if anybody has pictures of the game or knows someone who does and would be willing to let the club copy them that'd be superb.

We can do something based on the facts and figures of the day, but it'd be much nicer to get some personal views. Post on this thread, PM me or email [email protected] and I'll get back to you ASAP.

ALSO
On a similar but not quite the same note, is anybody in contact with any notable Stanley players of the past? I'm hoping to do a where are they know sort of thing with names from the past (both recent and further back) so any contact details and suggestions would be much appreciated. Same ways to get in touch as above.

As always your help is much appreciated
Dan

P.S - If you happen to know someone that played in the Formby game in 70 that would be killing two birds with the proverbial stone!

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore

Last edited by Dan; 22-07-2010 at 16:08. Reason: So much information, so little time!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-07-2010, 16:16   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Stanley v Formby - August 1970: HELP!

Worth having a read of the match report by Steve Moore in the first post of this thread.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...fan-34312.html

If Steve was still around, I'm sure he would've been able to help you with some excellent reminiscences, Dan, but sadly he passed away a few years ago.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 17:59   #3
Super Moderator

Wasn't there, as you all know I'm a "jonny come lately" guy.

Haven't seen Jimmy Hinksman for ages, but think he's still around.

Sure (Sir) Jack Barrett would have some pearls of wisdom from the day.

Did Dave Baron play?? or was this before his time?? If so I know he IS still around!!
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 12:26   #4
Dan
Senior Member+

Okay - update time.
Many thanks to those that have already emailed me with some very useful information.
Mr. T - Dave Baron did play - are you in touch with him?

To expand that, I'm grateful to Phil Whalley who has sent a team line up picture.
It is as follows:
John Nuttal, Mel Widdup, Dave Baron, Benny Newell, Dick Hartley, Jimmy Hinksman, Franny Franks, Stuart Illingworth, Dave Bywater, Tom Beard, Bryan Pemberton.

If anyone has anything on any of the names above (or maybe the people themselves are reading this!) please get in touch. [email protected] or post on this thread.

Thanks again
Dan

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..