Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2005, 01:37   #1
I am Banned

Stanley v. York - The Positives

It was a unique opportunity to judge the fitness and commitment of our players, and I can honestly say that I was impressed by their performance over 120 minutes.

Paul Mullin always gives his all over the 90, and it was no surprise that he found it impossible to do extra time as well . Howarth proved an excellent sub ; sharp, eager.

Rory is clearly back to full fitness ; he never, ever stopped. Great crosses as usual, of course, but it seems to me that a season of 4-5-1 has caused him to start looking for Mullin as soon as he gets to the half-way line ! Even when he puts in a determined attack down the left wing he's still not reaching the bye line at that critical point half-way between the penalty area and the goal area ; closest he came was 4 yards from it in the second half, I think. And I don't criticise him, because it's obviously the way they're being told to play. His crosses will really count if he can get to that position. (Some of us can remember Dave Thomas, of QPR and England, in the Home Internationals under Joe Mercer. Perfect wing play - albeit on the right - which any player today can watch and learn from.) I know that I can be very boring on this subject, but I don't intend to apologise.

Steve Flitcroft has acquired a lot of confidence recently and is playing well, but he is physically vulnerable and the York guys muscled him off the ball too often.

Lee McEvilly was my MOTM by a long way. Those days of doubt about his fitness are now dispelled forever. His commitment is beyond criticism. He kept control of his feelings really well in the face of several rather unpleasant tackles and one particularly nasty one. He played wide, played close, tackled back, and scored a winning goal, all with remarkable skill and strength. It was clear to everyone present that if anyone was going to win this one for Stanley it would be the Evil one. Everyone at the IES had resigned themselves to a penalty shoot-out. Everyone except Mr & Mrs McEvilly's boy Lee, that is. And so it came to pass, in the 120th minute, that he blew everyone away with an amazing break fuelled by some sort of energy which no-one else on the pitch still possessed. Yes, football is a team game. Sometimes, though, it's all about individuals.

And tonight that individual was Lee McEvilly . . . a credit to Accrington Stanley Football Club.
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-01-2005, 08:27   #2
Wez

Re: Stanley v. York - The Positives

I wanted to go last night but alas I was working too late

Top summary there mate, you da man!
Old 26-01-2005, 11:42   #3

Had to give it a miss, also, due to work commitments, so thanks a lot, Henry, for your post.
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2005, 14:12   #4

Great report!

I, unlike others, missed last night out of choice!!

...........well, me and another 800 or so, according to reports!
Old 26-01-2005, 15:00   #5

Well good for you ! Do come again when we are winning. By the way, you missed what will probably turn out to be the goal of the season.
Sweet.F.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2005, 15:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet.F.A.
Well good for you ! Do come again when we are winning. By the way, you missed what will probably turn out to be the goal of the season.
Winning is not the issue, it's about pride and passion and a mickey mouse trophy. Why do you think the gate was so low?
Old 26-01-2005, 15:58   #7
Senior Member+

Because it was cold......

and some 'fans' would rather sit by the fire and watch Coranation Street with a cup of cocoa

Last edited by Smiffy16; 26-01-2005 at 16:00.
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2005, 16:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiffy16
Because it was cold and some 'fans' would rather sit by the fire and watch Corantation Street with a cup of cocoa
I concur, just shows how fickle the paying public is, when it comes to handing over their money!
Old 27-01-2005, 10:09   #9

Quote:
Winning is not the issue, it's about pride and passion and a mickey mouse trophy. Why do you think the gate was so low?

Because fairweather fans like you prefer to sit at home instead of supporting their club.
Sweet.F.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 12:23   #10

Wink Re: Stanley v. York - The Positives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet.F.A.
Because fairweather fans like you prefer to sit at home instead of supporting their club.
As a moderator I think that your response violates the forum guidelines, could I suggest that you review.

And secondly, I am so glad that you are an unofficial representative of ASFC!
Old 27-01-2005, 12:24   #11
Resting In Peace

Will all you people who missed the game through "work committments" still have "work commitments" when we play Halifax on a Tuesday night in the league ?
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2005, 12:26   #12
God Member

Redskin missed it by choice. not work... something about it being a bit cold

Bless
Old 27-01-2005, 12:26   #13

Wink Re: Stanley v. York - The Positives

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF
Will all you people who missed the game through "work committments" still have "work commitments" when we play Halifax on a Tuesday night in the league ?
I shall attend through choice..........whatever the weather!!
Old 27-01-2005, 12:32   #14

Red face Re: Stanley v. York - The Positives

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Redskin missed it by choice. not work... something about it being a bit cold

Bless
The one person that I always believed understood the balanced arguement!

I never said anything about the weather, what so ever, I decided not to go due to the way we have been playing, and the fact that it counts for nothing. I assume everyone else that didn't turn-up were working??

I do more for Stanley than you will ever know, and will continue to do so, but at this moment in time I am disgusted with attitudes that are critical just because someone has the b*ll*cks to speak their mind!!
Old 27-01-2005, 12:33   #15
God Member

Smile going too fast was it?

Calm down

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..