Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By shakermaker
  • 1 Post By yonmon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2013, 13:19   #1
God Member

Stop the Queen

No, not that one.

This one:

This is a request - nay, a desperate clamour for the playing of 'We Will Rock You' as the Accrington Stanley players enter the field to cease.

I absolutely believe that it was meant in good faith to inspire our eleven men in red as well as the fans, all the while striking fear into hearts of the opposition.

However what the playing of this song represents is a tacky gimmick, typical of a tinpot club. The music does not fill the stadium with anticipation as was intended, rather it swirls around the empty seats and drowns out the vocal efforts of the people who have attended.

I have nothing against the music of Queen or any kind of stadium rock for that matter, but the playing of such music as the players enter the field of play represents a gap between the club and the fans.

'Swords of a Thousand Men' was played during the era of Coleman & Bell to a level which allowed the fans to applaud over it, not be silenced by an over-bearing drum beat. The music from The Omen was utter cheese, this is just bad. It's not that the existence of any track is the problem; what we're seeing here is a severe lack in taste.

What's more, playing music after we score is a gigantic mistake. There is nothing better than the noise of a crowd screaming in utter glee at the one goal we've managed to settle in the onion bag for the first time in weeks. Why drown out the appreciation that the fans show their team?

These choices completely miss the value of our unique selling point - an old fashioned football ground with real, down-to-earth football and an all round 'proper football' experience.

Please, let it end. Keep the badly edited pre-match playlist if you like, just let us have our noise back.
AccyMad, sparkie, Redash and 4 others like this.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2013, 13:54   #2
God Member

Re: Stop the Queen

totally agree, if you must play music after a goal play it on your Ipod, with you headphones in, and a pair of ear muffs over the top of those, and in a tent, on Thorneyholme Road.

Its rubbish
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 14:30   #3
God Member

Totally agree with the above.
Would also question the use of the word 'music' and 'Queen' in the same sentence.
Fake Americanised fan fervour that falls flat.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 14:44   #4

I don't like it when stadiums play music at the time when the crowd is loudest - kick off, just after a goal. I went to St Marys earlier in the season and their PA system was so loud it drowned out the sounds of a 25,000 crowd!
Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 15:21   #5
Senior Member+

My worst moment of the Season ??....hearing the Theme from 'Captain Pugwash' blaring out at Fleetwood Town.
Worse still the Cod Army were actually enjoying the expereience.....UGH !!.
Kiwi John likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 18:14   #6

A night at the Opera is sublime. One of the best pseudo-prog albums ever made. Queen were superb before "middle of the road syndrome" kicked in.

However on the footballing side I totally agree. There is no need for it at any club at any level....least of all at the hallowed Store First Stadium.

If we must run out to something it has to be "Lancashire Leads The Way" by the Houghton Weavers or the "Accrington Go" song.
Old 15-03-2013, 19:00   #7
Senior Member+

Agree with the above, the queen music is a missed opportunity and helps no one but the opposition.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 00:49   #8
Full Member+

Bring it back!!
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 07:39   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Music during a game has always bugged me, especially after we have scored,I reckon the players would rather hear the crowd n it may well then inspire further, then i'm just a silly owd fart.
Old 16-03-2013, 10:29   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Music during a game has always bugged me, especially after we have scored,I reckon the players would rather hear the crowd n it may well then inspire further, then i'm just a silly owd fart.
Aren't we all Cashy...aren't we all ?.... but here once again you have proved that sometimes we wrinklies do talk a bit of sense !!..so go on, what's your take on this afternoon's game and result ??.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 10:36   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I can only apologise fer talking sense. Me take on today is its one i'm really looking forward to. seeing the Barnet player/Manager perform, n leave disappointed cos its a long way back wi sod all.
Old 16-03-2013, 10:47   #12
Senior Member+

First thing ive ever agreed with shaker on.

STOP THE MUSIC ! Its crap !
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 12:09   #13
God Member

In some stadia the music Clubs walk out to does inspire and gels players & crowd as one but unfortunately "We Will Rock You" doesn't!

Goal Music itself is like the worst nightmare the celebration of the crowd is the most uplift any player can aspire to.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 17:12   #14
God Member

Thank you
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 18:22   #15
Senior Member+

here here

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..