Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2021, 07:28   #31
God Member

Re: Sunderland match thread.

When their keeper hasn't a save to make the problem lies in creativity Smyth did everything right bar hit the target Rodgers header in between the posts and it's a goal different outcome, can't keep blaming injuries but they do have an impact on any team. Morgan has been asked after jumping the league's to run midfield missing Pritchard, Conneelly, Butcher and Uwakawe big ask showed glimpses of what he can do with a couple of decent through passes and his link up with Rodgers when he broke into the box and shot again off target. So it's easy to criticize players especially those coming in but upto the gifted goal we matched Sunderland apart from working the keeper, maybe a slight change to formation going forward might help and more use of the channels.
AccyMad likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-03-2021, 07:42   #32

I only hope young Toby Savin doesn't bother visiting the forum after last nights defeat to Sunderland.
The attempts by some to blame him for the result are both unfair & ludicrous.
Funny, but I always thought there were 10 other players in the team?
Where were they when the goals went in, having tea-break perhaps?
The first goal - a freakishly high header, would have evaded a giant octopus.
On the second, he was clearly impeded by one of their players.
None of our attempts were on target. Had they been, the result might have been different.
Last nights result was not the fault of one individual, the reason was simple.
THE BEST TEAM WON!
It happens more often than you think...... Lets get used to it!
AccyMad, cashman, Chimer and 3 others like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 08:54   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
I only hope young Toby Savin doesn't bother visiting the forum after last nights defeat to Sunderland.
The attempts by some to blame him for the result are both unfair & ludicrous.
Funny, but I always thought there were 10 other players in the team?
Where were they when the goals went in, having tea-break perhaps?
The first goal - a freakishly high header, would have evaded a giant octopus.
On the second, he was clearly impeded by one of their players.
None of our attempts were on target. Had they been, the result might have been different.
Last nights result was not the fault of one individual, the reason was simple.
THE BEST TEAM WON!
It happens more often than you think...... Lets get used to it!
Don't think anyone is blaming Toby for the defeat but to say it wasn't saveable when he tipped an almost identical back header over is daft it was a mistake one of numerous made last night by players on both sides, goalie errors usually cost you a goal we didn't work their keeper if we had the result could have been different we move on losing like winning is a habit we need to turn it around, nobody knows apart from medical staff when any player from the casualty list will be back and when they are no guarantees they hit the form button straight away the lads that are picked need a result to boost them and us.
Old 18-03-2021, 09:12   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Rodgers, Nottingham, Hughes, Burgess, Barclay, McConville, Smyth, Charles and Butcher who came on would all get in the 18 so I presume Morgan, Phillips and Savin must be the " passengers "
do not rate rodgers, morgan or phillips for that matter. at the moment savin is a second choice keeper. in fact you could see the first 3 quite easily playing for someone like southport or altrincham sooner rather than later. its not their fault, they are what they are and you cannot expect em to be part of a team that constantly wins games againt sides in division 1.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 09:22   #35
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
do not rate rodgers, morgan or phillips for that matter. at the moment savin is a second choice keeper. in fact you could see the first 3 quite easily playing for someone like southport or altrincham sooner rather than later. its not their fault, they are what they are and you cannot expect em to be part of a team that constantly wins games againt sides in division 1.
Rodgers is a good enough utility player and Morgan has done well in my view.
Phillips has been poor.

We can't have a squad of 25 who are all first choice league 1 players.
The cost would be unaffordable, the dynamics wouldn't work and the morale would cause divisions within the squad which could undermine what ASFC is all about.
AccyMad and pifco like this.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 09:32   #36
God Member

Phillips is a strange one youth carreer at Blackburn then Liverpool been at Norwich now at Burnley, also represented England at under 16, and 17 level plenty must see something in him another that's come into a side that isn't performing.
Old 18-03-2021, 10:06   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJosh View Post
Rodgers is a good enough utility player and Morgan has done well in my view.
Phillips has been poor.

We can't have a squad of 25 who are all first choice league 1 players.
The cost would be unaffordable, the dynamics wouldn't work and the morale would cause divisions within the squad which could undermine what ASFC is all about.
but we could have a 20 man squad though. ok you might have to put kids on the bench or play em in a dire emergency. would they be any worse than some of the squad who would never get into another division 1 side or in fact division 2 for that matter. even some out injured like sama you could put in that catogary also.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 10:33   #38
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
but we could have a 20 man squad though. ok you might have to put kids on the bench or play em in a dire emergency. would they be any worse than some of the squad who would never get into another division 1 side or in fact division 2 for that matter. even some out injured like sama you could put in that catogary also.
Thing is we have that.
I'm confident majority of our '2nd string' would comfortably fill in a scenario where it's one or 2 of them.
Problem we have is it's 6 players having to step in at once.
cashman, Chimer and pifco like this.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 11:11   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJosh View Post
Thing is we have that.
I'm confident majority of our '2nd string' would comfortably fill in a scenario where it's one or 2 of them.
Problem we have is it's 6 players having to step in at once.
Well said Josh my point exactly about Morgan throw in at the deep end, been here before about squad depth doesn't change budget , to have a Magready in our squad we would have 19 players on a pittance, hard job to pick players at the bargain basement end Coley does it time and again.
Old 18-03-2021, 11:17   #40
Senior Member+

Toby Savin was having a great season up to the point where he was replaced by Baxter, which was inevitably going to happen soon after the latter joined us. Since then he's had virtually no proper game time, which you must need to keep sharp. And when the call came again, he had to step up and step in behind a defence which is, shall we charitably say, beginning to show the strains of a long hard season. As an ex-member of the goalkeepers' union, I have nothing but sympathy for him.
MikeA, AccyMad, cashman and 5 others like this.
Old 18-03-2021, 12:04   #41
Full Member+

Im on my own here but I think Accrington Stanley gave Sunderland a run for their money . We stuck to it and never gave up .I thoroughly enjoyed it and keep it up lads . You can hold your heads up high despite coming second in the game.
andyd likes this.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 12:11   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

sorry greeny but we did not have one shot on target thats not a run for their money to me. its simply down to too many injuries of our squad in my eyes.
Old 18-03-2021, 13:39   #43
God Member

Smile You took the words right out of my mouth.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
‘ Passengers ‘ Joe ?..
Is that a euphemism for ‘ not fit for purpose ‘..
Never seen as many aimless passes which caused the ball to come straight back at our defenders for a long time !.
Some in this team are devoid of talent and skill and will just not do .
The result was inevitable.

( in my humble opinion of course ! ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd;2 out of 3 ain't bad1251730
Rodgers, Nottingham, Hughes, Burgess, Barclay, McConville, Smyth, Charles and Butcher who came on would all get in the 18 so I presume Morgan, Phillips and Savin must be the " passengers "
It is at times like this that I wish I had the literary skills of Yonmon, which would allow me to make quotes and references to Jim Steinman

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 13:40   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Toby Savin was having a great season up to the point where he was replaced by Baxter, which was inevitably going to happen soon after the latter joined us. Since then he's had virtually no proper game time, which you must need to keep sharp. And when the call came again, he had to step up and step in behind a defence which is, shall we charitably say, beginning to show the strains of a long hard season. As an ex-member of the goalkeepers' union, I have nothing but sympathy for him.
And just to clarify, I agree with this chap

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 16:41   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
Im on my own here but I think Accrington Stanley gave Sunderland a run for their money . We stuck to it and never gave up .I thoroughly enjoyed it and keep it up lads . You can hold your heads up high despite coming second in the game.
A crippling injury list, lowest budget in league 1 50 points with 12 games to go missing chances that at this level you pay the price but Sunderland looked anything but special ordinary in fact we can certainly hold our heads high.
AccyMad and cashman like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..