Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2017, 15:51   #1
God Member

Terrace chants

In lieu of the other thread getting closed just as it raised debateable points ...

One of the unfortunate aspects of having any sizeable groups of people singing in public is that you may not always agree with the subject matter.

At Stanley we are blessed with THE FACT that our fans are well behaved. Statistics produced over our 11 year FL tenure will prove us to be the best behaved. Sure, there are the occasional near the knuckle songs such as the Jim Harvey one (I hate it too Diane), and the Turkey song, but really they are just harmless fun.

I personally would bracket homophobia alongside racism. We all know it goes on but it's not acceptable to publically discuss/announce/declare/chant. We dont chant racist songs and I dont believe we chant homophobic songs neither. Inviting someone to insert something, be it a tower, a zoo or something with hairs on its neck weighing a quarter of a pound, is akin to something we've all said at some point or other " you can shove it up ..." It's got no further connotations than that. If it had then Tony Roberts should have been charged with incitement or something homophobia related for his "dancing"

Football triballistic chanting serves the purpose of;
1. Intimidation - to try to gain the upperhand by mentally defeating the opposition.
2. Encouragement - your own team can see that you are trying to influence the tempo of the game and may respond accordingly.
3. Unification - we're in this together. Be that just the fans or the whole club. ASFC punch way above their weight and I think our pitiful numbers have always done so as well. How many times have we shamed significant clubs on and off the pitch?

There's also the enjoyment factor.

One thing we do better than the majority of clubs is consistent singing. 90 minutes consecutive is the aim every time. You have to try to keep changing the tune to maintain interest and momentum. This does mean that the occasional inproprietary sneaks in though (wrong tune at the wrong time included).

On the whole though we have to accept that there are a cross section group of people who sing, and probably a wider cross section who listen. You cant satisfy everyone so I think we do a damn good job of achieving a happy medium :-)

Ps Jim Taggart has only been a maggot for some time now
AccyMad, KiTChener, yonmon and 1 others like this.

Last edited by maccawozzagod; 16-04-2017 at 15:53.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-04-2017, 17:40   #2

Re: Terrace chants

Discussions over terracing chants are usually a pointless exercise since those who sing them will always justify them and those offended by them will be offended by them regardless.

The only way to test them is for someone to complain and then we will see what is and isn't acceptable. Perhaps someone from the club should give their perspective on those two?

As I say I am neither offended nor would I sing them at games these days as I think they are relics that belong in the past and that is probably be how they will be seen in the future.

I have sung far worse in the past but have grown up now. I can't even remember why I hated Jimmy Hill at Wembley all those years ago, perhaps it was because "he's a poof" ?
monkey hanger likes this.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 18:52   #3
Full Member+

Stanley fans have a good record especially at away games as hardly any turn up, but a lot of the fans are a bit behind the times.

Most away games there is hardy a peep out of the crowd, but that is preferable to a drum.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 20:25   #4

Cheery songs, a big drum....marvellous.
I've never really seen the point of insulting or booing the opposition or antagonising the ref when there's no end of good songs about yer own team.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 21:20   #5

I would agree with that, we have plenty of good songs supporting the team. And that Norwegian chant we do now and again are all good stuff.
chevyfire likes this.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 08:44   #6
God Member

As I say I am neither offended nor would I sing them at games these days as I think they are relics that belong in the past and that is probably be how they will be seen in the future.

I have sung far worse in the past but have grown up now. I can't even remember why I hated Jimmy Hill at Wembley all those years ago, perhaps it was because "he's a poof" ? [/QUOTE]

thats the way i see it also, probebly an age thing. its probebly an age thing also that oldies like myself don,t seem to be offended as easily as younger people who are more likely to be part of the PC brigade. you might not be able to spout everything you,d like to say on any subject but they can,t stop us having our thoughts YET.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 09:58   #7
Senior Member+

I think in the main that fans don't actually mean any malice in the songs that get sung, just as Macca says, it's to try and mentally gain the upper hand on your opponent...That song is always aimed at normally the oppositions best player or someone that's known to react (Kevin Ellison, Tony Roberts etc)

Far worse songs have and will been sung in future around the country than that song by fans of other clubs!
Old 17-04-2017, 10:41   #8

I think that's right Baldy.... however, does an antagonistic atmosphere put some people off? Weren't many non-whites went to the footy in 70s/80s when racist chanting was rife.

MonkeyHanger - I also agree. There's a lot of people go out of their way to be offended about things....often pouncing on mistakes and even the mildest of insults. The perpetrators never forgiven.
cashman likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 10:52   #9
God Member

Far worse songs have and will been sung in future around the country than that song by fans of other clubs![/QUOTE]

like all the stick lee hughes still gets years after he,s done the crime and served his time and have never heard of anyone getting a banning order from a club for it. but if he,d been- well i,ll leave it there.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 10:56   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I think that's right Baldy.... however, does an antagonistic atmosphere put some people off? Weren't many non-whites went to the footy in 70s/80s when racist chanting was rife.

MonkeyHanger - I also agree. There's a lot of people go out of their way to be offended about things....often pouncing on mistakes and even the mildest of insults. The perpetrators never forgiven.
In the main i think the singing,chanting is banter not malicious, also i think people that get offended by it, a football match is not really a place for them, i could think of a place for em, but i'll leave it at that.
Old 17-04-2017, 12:25   #11

Can someone please post a list of songs I'm allowed to sing today as I don't want to offend anyone.
AccyMad likes this.
sausage butty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 12:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausage butty View Post
Can someone please post a list of songs I'm allowed to sing today as I don't want to offend anyone.
I got one, that stupid woke up this morning nicked from the rags of Manchester, thanks
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 12:49   #13

Is there any more , it'll be a bit boring singing one song all game ?
sausage butty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 13:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausage butty View Post
Is there any more , it'll be a bit boring singing one song all game ?
Read your post wrong, please don't chant that annoying ****e, apart from that as you where
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 13:16   #15
Full Member+

O, Accrington is wonderful, can anyone tell me,what sounds like Padiham Stanley is all about. Me thinks, it's full of Beer, Drugs and Brandy fit's in just as well and more apt
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..