Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2008, 08:35   #1
Senior Member+

The cost of our poor home record?

I was looking at some statistics the other day and they do make some interesting reading.

Last season we averaged gates of 2260, which we considered ok I'm sure. However, this season the average gate has dropped to 1623, which is a decrease of 28.2%.

Not only is that a lot of missing fans, but that is also a serious amount of money to lose. I know we haven't had to same numbers of away fans coming as we did last season (new ground syndrome), but surely it's also the cost of our poor home record and performances?
Old 29-03-2008, 08:43   #2
Senior Member+

Re: The cost of our poor home record?

Not only that.

Can we rely on having a pretty good away record like we have had this season next season and each season? I do not think so.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 09:03   #3
Super Moderator

Surely the last season's average is boosted by the 4000+ for the free Torquay match? If that fixture had been all pay, the gate would have been around 1500-1600, thus reducing the average quite considerably?
Old 29-03-2008, 09:19   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Surely the last season's average is boosted by the 4000+ for the free Torquay match? If that fixture had been all pay, the gate would have been around 1500-1600, thus reducing the average quite considerably?
Good point. But the reduction would only have been about 100 per match which means that TM's observations are still valid.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 09:51   #5
Super Moderator

Is that all? I thought it would be more than that but I couldn't work it out, as I'm innumerate! Quite worrying really.
Old 29-03-2008, 10:04   #6
Senior Member+

You're quite right Wynonie I hadn't taken the large Torquay gate into account, but as Mike says, it doesn't make an enormous amount of difference (less than 120 per match).

We aren't the only ones to be losing out of course, although L2 attendances are up on average by 2.2% compare to last year. See here for the full figures:
http://www.tonykempster.co.uk/attcomp.htm
Old 29-03-2008, 10:43   #7

Out of all relegated teams only these have increased gates.
Leeds up 20.6%
Bradford up 58.1%
Torquay up 25.9%

And out of all promoted teams only these have dropped gates.
Swindon down 2.7%
Hartlepool down 11.7%

I think we can assume that ticket prices do play a big part in the numbers that will or will not go to a game.

Teams in our area
Blackburn up 9.8%
Burnley up 4.6%
Rochdale up 2.2%
Bury down 6.1%
Accy down 28.2%

We seem to be way outside the average, and seeing as our prices didn`t go up you can only assume that the poor home form has had a lot to do with poor numbers.

Old 29-03-2008, 11:57   #8

The figure's are very dissapointing for everyone concerned...

But the fact remains "we dont have a marketing department" or a commercial department...

We wont win back old fans to watch us lose..

We wont attract new fans if we dont work at it...
Give us the old gree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 12:07   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz66 View Post
Teams in our area
Blackburn up 9.8%
Burnley up 4.6%
Rochdale up 2.2%
Bury down 6.1%
Accy down 28.2%

We seem to be way outside the average, and seeing as our prices didn`t go up you can only assume that the poor home form has had a lot to do with poor numbers.

Looks good on paper for the top 2 but in reality Blackburn were boosted by cheap season ticket prices subsidised by Sky and Burnley had 3 games where the attendance was several thousand up on what it should have been due to all season ticket holders being given 2 free tickets each for each game.
Old 29-03-2008, 12:16   #10
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Last season we won 10 home L2 games and had some good home cup wins.....
Old 29-03-2008, 12:48   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Give us the old gree View Post
The figure's are very dissapointing for everyone concerned...

But the fact remains "we dont have a marketing department" or a commercial department...

We wont win back old fans to watch us lose..

We wont attract new fans if we dont work at it...
I think TM is correct in saying that Home performances have had an adverse effect on the Home gates!

We do have a Commercial Department with David and one that work's very hard to maximise what can be done on very limited resources.

Maybe with the advent of the New Season Ticket prices which will bring new people coming on to watch and more importantly money coming into the Club at the right time which is before the Season starts, New people on the Board , a new Stand to come which can open up lots more avenues of revenue there is perhaps an awakening of the sense that things don't just drop into your lap, resource has to be put in to maximise every department within the Club from Top to Bottom at this level to net back success on & off the field.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 13:20   #12
God Member

The Wrexham game was the classic example of good gates going bad with the bad display on the pitch, killed the friday night thing too, think thats the one that sticks the most on the floater/new fans mind after that night

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 14:19   #13
God Member

the 'commercial' dept runs reasonably well and puts in a lot of effort with only limited reward. However we do not have marketing budget Pendle therefore have no department.

The new season ticket prices are excellent but what if anything will be done about pushing those prices during the April only offer?

£60 for students is a gimme and we should make a bit via the bars from them but has anybody been to the student union to put up a poster? or in the various mosher bars they tend to go in?

you can't rely on people reading it in the paper.

Again, thats not a knock per se but a general observation of how it is.
Old 29-03-2008, 16:53   #14
God Member

I note that despite the 'zillions' of owners,EBBSFLEET UNITEDs average is down by over 10%
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 17:22   #15
God Member

[quote=maccawozzagod;553691]the 'commercial' dept runs reasonably well and puts in a lot of effort with only limited reward. However we do not have marketing budget Pendle therefore have no department.

Hence Why in my comments I put "resource has to be put in to maximise every department within the Club from Top to Bottom at this level to net back success on & off the field. "

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..