Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 17:27   #1
God Member

The Green Green Grass of Home

The past four days have seen me cover a broad spectrum of footballing delights which started Saturday as a spectator at Anfield for the visit of Aston Villa and before a ball was kicked I predicted a 1-1 draw, There was the usual colourful display per-match from the Kop and the rousing anthem which even now after many visits still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

The game itself is what PL is all about with exquisite pass and move on show but I found myself more than before listening to those around me and what was going wrong at LFC and how it should be corrected and these were tinged with the famous scouse humour mixed in but what I think hit me hardest is what I will come to later.

Last night a few of us went to watch Fleetwood v Wrexham and I could not fail to be impressed by the off the field facilities which were probably as good as some teams two Leagues higher than the Cod Army are at present, the game itself I thoroughly enjoyed with some excellent football from both sides in the end perhaps cancelling each other out but they both play the game the right way, the atmosphere from both sets of fans was electric at times.

Sandwiched in between was Stanley v Hereford and it's perhaps only now when I look back on all three games that it really hits me how much Stanley holds to me as a connoisseur of the beautiful game.

Passion was around in all these games from all the fans, facilities greatly varied, from sitting to standing, from players who are household names to players I have never even heard of, to being in a crowd of over forty thousand to being in one with over eighteen hundred.

I have thoroughly enjoyed all the games but it has also reminded me once again why Stanley?

It's where you are close to the action, you get to know fellow supporters quickly, the passion for their team is the most fervent, you can aknowledge the players, management and staff before and after the game as they pass by or in the bar and there is a real sense of belonging whilst the hills behind the away end provide the perfect backdrop to my footballing home.

On Stanley On

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-04-2012, 18:37   #2
God Member

Re: The Green Green Grass of Home

Nice..very nice Pendle.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 19:21   #3

I also went to Fleetwood last night. Great night's entertainment, and the quality of football was better than any I've seen in League 2 this season. Although to be honest i have been watching most of Macclesfield's games

Like you say the facilites at Fleetwood are 1st class and certainly League 1 standard. I fully expect that's where they will be as well by the end of next season.
Larry Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 22:35   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lobster View Post
I also went to Fleetwood last night. Great night's entertainment, and the quality of football was better than any I've seen in League 2 this season. Although to be honest i have been watching most of Macclesfield's games

Like you say the facilites at Fleetwood are 1st class and certainly League 1 standard. I fully expect that's where they will be as well by the end of next season.
larry hope Macc and your lad stay up if not love to see him back here next season
Old 14-04-2012, 08:56   #5
Junior Member+

Stanley is what it's all about - standing up if you want- get served in the pub/ bar quickly- park near the ground- proper fans- close to the action

The PL matches I've been to - park 20 mins walk from ground- pay £7 to park- 30 odd quid per ticket- overpriced refreshments- stuck in traffic for ages to get home- players on tens of thousands a week who can't be arsed- poor atmosphere- moody fans

stanley for me- proper footy- friendly fans - great for the kids- and not ripped off
stewthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 10:12   #6
Senior Member+

Nice post Pendle.

I dont know what it is about this club.

Magic
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 11:34   #7
God Member

It's a good mixture of lots of things at the Club which makes it special including
hardship, adversity, friendliness, endevour, proper footy as it was before all seater stadiums which has contributed to the ruination of atmosphere at some modern stadia, never say die attitude, genuine affection and proudness that everyone connected with the Club has for the name Accrinton Stanley.

Sure there are things that can be improved and should be improved but there is within all of this a great little marketing Opportunity that dosn't have to cost a lot if anything it's just a case of tying things together but would hopefully take the message further out than those who already get it.

"Football still true to it's roots" it's a simple message.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 11:39   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewthered View Post
The PL matches I've been to - park 20 mins walk from ground- pay £7 to park- 30 odd quid per ticket- overpriced refreshments- stuck in traffic for ages to get home- players on tens of thousands a week who can't be arsed- poor atmosphere- moody fans
Apart from the ticket price which is slightly less it's not to different in the Championship. More hassle than enjoyment

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..