Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 18:32   #1
God Member

then I'll be the first to get giddy

whilst everybody else is denying ( but secretly hoping for) the play-offs, I've still got my eye on the title! and I remember the Unibond 1st division run in!

so, just to amuse myself whilst drunk, if al the top teams had played the same amount of games (assuming games in hand are wins)

Rochdale played 29, points 59
Notts County played 29, points 58
Accrington played 29, points 54
Bury played 29, points 54
Rotherham played 29, points 54
Bournemouth played 29 points 53
Chesterfield played 29,points 48
Shrewsbury played 29, points 45

and we gotta play Rochdale, County and Rotherham at home yet!!!

and yes Valarian, I pressed send a bit early!!!

Last edited by maccawozzagod; 06-02-2010 at 18:39.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-02-2010, 18:36   #2
God Member

Smile Re: then I'll be the first to get giddy

Macca, you have obviously missed a bit?? Hope you can edit it in time

And you did!!!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 18:43   #3
God Member

Re: then I'll be the first to get giddy

Thought u would be the 1st to muse the theory lol. Personally it would be great for an automatic place but that would be assuming a lot for the team, playoff's places would be more achievable and with it more excitment, even a trip to wembley as said to gerbil, my stanley scarf went with me to the very new wembley the1st competitive match cos thought i'd never see stanley at wembley. Now a possible reality - thats amazing and would love to hear the ultra's there with those accoustics be a dream to be there!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Stanleymad; 06-02-2010 at 19:00.
Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 19:03   #4
God Member

what I forgot to post a link to was that Betfair still have 132-1 on Stanley to win the league! somebody else still had 125-1, most of the high streets still had 66-1!

as daft as it sounds those prices are ridiculous
Old 06-02-2010, 19:06   #5
God Member

I have said for a while now this team on it's day is good enough to win automatic promotion and no I ain't giddy

The play-offs is a lottery in terms of being a massive money spinner and grabbing loads of attention bringing in possibly six figure sums, possibly biggest day out ever for the Reds on the hallowed turf.

The flip-side to that them begs the question how would we be affected if we lost in the play-offs, possible break up of the team, do we have the infrastructure at the Club to cope with what possibly a play-off final would bring?

That's all superficial at the moment

The bigger question at the moment is the higher we go:

Can the Management & Players go from being underdogs & written off in many quarters to becoming prize scalps that Clubs will want as we have done in the past?

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 19:15   #6

I said a while back if we have about 60 ish points with about 6 or 7 games left we will have a chance off the playoffs.I will now revise that because i honestly believe this set of lads can go all the way, we might have the smallest support in the league but we dont half make up for it with the passion shown week in week out.
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 20:01   #7

myself i think 3rd ... places with the games in and with 20men only
Grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 23:16   #8

Just give me top half of the table
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 23:22   #9
Senior Member+

Top half would do me fine, on coral at start of the season we were 250/1 for promotion, now we are 5/1 wish i had stuck a £10er on at the start of the season!

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:19   #10
God Member

Top half at beginning of the season and after all the early season fiascos would have been beyond expectation as would still having a football club.

But things on the field have kicked on so to speak, It may be a season or two early for us to get promoted in terms of budgets, infrastrucure etc, but we missed the boat in terms of failing to capatilise when promotion to the Football League was achieved.

If this Club is to continue to grow now is the optimum time for putting plans and actions into place, it may come to nothing but it will throw up ideas and possibilities that may have been staring us in the face without us knowing it, while also becoming best practice?

There is a definate Buzz around the Crown and that will only continue to grow the further we stride and continue to defy

On Stanley On

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS

Last edited by Pendle Red; 07-02-2010 at 08:23.
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:17   #11

If we go up this season, what is the seating needed to satisfy league 1.
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:22   #12
Full Member+

Exeter had large standing terrace on fls this morning. I suppose you get time to make the improvements tho
Old 07-02-2010, 09:56   #13

Talking Re: then I'll be the first to get giddy

Top half will do me fine. This season we have had:

* Furthest ever Carling Cup run - battering QPR at their own ground and being unlukcy to lose 2-1.

* FA Cup 4th round proper for the first time since 1958.

*Riding high in the table with games in hand.

I think we need to stay at this level for a few years and keep winning, as that will breed new fans. The sad thing is people love to see a winning team, and dont take the level of the team into account. IE winning the Conference isnt as good as being in the league, but more people turned out then then our struggling league seasons.

We need to keep flirting with the play-offs for a few years and keep winning before we go up.

At the end of the day IMO if we lose every game to come and finish 22nd, that would still be a monumental effort for a club with our support, our wage bill, our facilities, not to mention all the other troubles this season.

Lets just keep under the radar, keep our fingers crossed and enjoy this magical ride that Sir John and Sir Jimmy (they should be knighted) are taking us on!!

From Frickley to Fulham!!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:27   #14
God Member

Smile Re: then I'll be the first to get giddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob249 View Post
If we go up this season, what is the seating needed to satisfy league 1.
Spoke to Dave O'Neill about this before the Bury game, he tells me that FL1 is the same as FL2!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:40   #15
Senior Member+

I like the idea of promotion, the reality is scary!

How about out on penalties at Wembley in a blaze of glory.... Add 500 to the gate then have a real go......

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..