Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2006, 19:46   #1
Resting in Peace

Todays game

A good, exciting game today, which started like the Darlington game with Stanley dominating, then falling behind to a soft goal due to ball watching by all the defence. Rochdale gave their good support plenty to shout about after that but Stanley should have won it on good chances created. Rommy blasted one in which was agonisingly cleared off the line before Mullin's disallowed "winner", presumably offside, although I thought the ball was cut back to him? Mangan was terrific when he came on and surely must start on Friday with Boco away on international duty. I would also play Proctor in place of Jay Harris and find room for our most classy defender, Phil Edwards. Gary Roberts hasn't really clicked yet in this league, and I think we'll fly when he finally gets into gear. Superb penalty from him, though, which needed to be good to beat their huge, dominant goalie who would surely have got to it had he guessed the right way for a less than perfectly hit one.
Who's going to handle 4 goal Jamie Forrester at Lincoln??
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-08-2006, 20:36   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Todays game

I think what today emphasised, is the fact that the team is screaming out for a striker who can score goals at this level.

Where we get one from is another matter.
Old 26-08-2006, 20:43   #3

Harris didnt seem to touch the ball today, give me Proccy anytime, also thought that when Doherty was brought on as sub he was like a rabbit in car headlights, seemed frightened to death, had a few chances to go in but stepped back at the last minute, lacks confidence !
Old 26-08-2006, 20:53   #4
Senior Member+

Quite agree about Doherty, Denise. Like Roberts, they are both like bunnies when they are jumping out of challenges all the time.

Roberts was like that 2 seasons ago, then didn't seem as bad last year. However, he seems to have gone back to his cottontail ways again.

Actually my mate summed Doherty up today when he said, "Doherty is causing all kinds of problems. He's standing in front of Coleman, so he can't see that game."

Last edited by Tin Monkey; 26-08-2006 at 21:02.
Tin Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2006, 20:59   #5
Senior Member+

Jay Haris had one average game, why drop him? He was awesome Monday night...I thought we were unlucky not to win the game today, dale keeper Gilks made three good saves, one from Mullins header 20 seconds in, although he may have not known to much about that one he did well keeping welchy low drive out and that Boco half volley. I thought Boco was very very good today and we will miss him come Friday but Mangy looked impressive when he came on. I also don't like to moan about the officials but what warranted a red card? For me John Doolan had to go for that high tackle on Leam Richardson, who was very good today, he got the ball then i think followed through purposely. Then penalty must have surely been a red card? Craney was denied a clear goal scoring opportunity by the last man..All in all this should have been a win but we just lacked that bit extra which i hope we find, a very bad goal to concede. We just now need the bit of luck in games which turns 1 point into 3..Come on Stanley...........
Old 26-08-2006, 21:09   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by zayno14
Jay Haris had one average game, why drop him? He was awesome Monday night.....
I just think we lack a bit of midfield muscle against div 2 sides who all seem strong in that department and Proccy would provide that, especially in a difficult away fixture where we will probably have more defending to do. I think Jay is a great aquisition and we are lucky to have options in midfield - more of a rotation than a dropping!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2006, 22:03   #7
Senior Member+

From what I saw today, I was deeply disappointed.Roberts to me and Craney to a point, were showboating and losing the ball every time. I have said this before, they should keep it simple and stop trying to beat the opposition on their own.Yes we started like we meant business, but after conceding a soft goal, the team went to sleep and allowed 'Dale the upper hand for the next 40 minutes or so. Then we came awake again when Mangan and Doherty came on and looked more purposeful leading up to the penalty and there-on until the end of the match. The referee in my book truly spoiled the game by not knowing the rules. Unfortunately it wasn't Mullin who was offside, it was the player who passed him the ball who was off (Mangan?). Agree with others who have said we need a proven goalscorer to help the team out.
My team for Friday would be Dunbavin, Edwards, Richardson, Welch, Rocky (not a fan of his, but he is playing well at the moment) Brown, Cavanagh, Proctor, Doherty, Mangan and Mullin - subs Roberts, Harris, Craney, Foyle and hopefully Elliot or Ventre if Robbie not fit.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 08:20   #8
God Member

Roberts and Craney have not turned up for a league game yet this year although they were both excellent against Forest. When they get a grip on proceedings we shold be rocketing. I was surpirsed that Todd came off for Doherty, surely Gary should have been subbed yesterday? Anyways, a big proven striker will change things in the box. We have had a lot of good build up play this year but the final ball has never got to anybody.

Boco in midfield please, he was awesome yesterday. This lad is really on top of his game at the moment and is going to earn us a healthy transfer fee.
Old 27-08-2006, 10:09   #9

when Sean Doherty and andy Magan came on the team started to play alot better. Much more pace and six attacking players... Do you not think we should play with six attacking players agaist the easier opposition???
I also think that stanley need to start putting away chances. They are playig well but not putting away any of the chances. Perhaps a new striker? might even put a pressure because of competition for mullin, Boco and Magan.

Last edited by stanleyfan; 27-08-2006 at 10:12.
stanleyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 10:14   #10
Senior Member+

thought stanley totally outplayed dale and were unlucky not to come away with 3 points, coulple of blatant pens turned down adn the goal in the last few mins....the ref was a shambles i wouldnt even let him ref the kids.....enjoyed my day though

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 10:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod

Boco in midfield please, he was awesome yesterday. This lad is really on top of his game at the moment and is going to earn us a healthy transfer fee.
Bocco's passing is class, but for me the centre was very light after Harris came off. Neither Bocco nor Craney do the 'bite your ankles' job needed to break up play.

I see what Coley means about the centre halfs' positional sense in the interview after the Forest game - got caught out a few times, but looking good apart from that.

People round me blamed the keeper for the goal - any thoughts?
Arkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 15:13   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkwright
People round me blamed the keeper for the goal - any thoughts?
Definitely agree. Dunbavin is a very good 'shot stopper', but he never commands his area. The ball landed inside the six yard box and I would expect a goalkeeper to control the area that close to goal.

The knock on effect is that defenders aren't sure what to do when the ball is played in like that. It causes hesitation and indecision, which is what happened yesterday. A good 'keeper controls the area and that gives confidence to the defence.
Old 27-08-2006, 15:17   #13
God Member

Personally I thought Ian Craney had another dismal game yesterday, one or two flashes of what he can do but he's just not doing it often enough. Maybe he's trying too hard but the way he's playing at the moment maybe it would do him good to be benched and play Procky and Harris in the middle. Wasn't too impressed with Doherty either, he looked like the new boy at school who's not too sure if he'd be welcome if he asked to join in, maybe he'll settle in time but couldn't see the sense in taking Toddy off for him. Rommy as usual had a good game and Andy Mangan looked a lot more assured than last season and tried for every ball, poor lad took a battering for his efforts though.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 20:58   #14

Andy Mangan is only good for the last 20mins, dont get me wrong i like him but is only good as a last minute sub to speed the game up a bit. Wouldn't play him for the full 90mins
Old 29-08-2006, 09:07   #15

i agree that he dosent last long but he lasted 45 mins. tell him to play like he did agaist Roachdale then bring someone on at half time for him. He makes a big difference, i think, to the pace of the game. did anybody notice that even though he was agaist the smaller centre half he was winning alot of headers?

Last edited by stanleyfan; 29-08-2006 at 09:09.
stanleyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..