Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2004, 15:10   #1

Todays Game

Nick Burton "SENT OFF" "Professional Foul"

Ged Brannan - 1-1 Penalty 51st minute.
Mik Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-10-2004, 15:15   #2

Re: Todays Game

Tony Taggart - Penalty 55th Minute 2-1
Mik Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 20:38   #3

As one of the Accy based fans I stood with said - thats the first time the team haven't come to the fans at the end of the game to acknowledge the time & brass spent to cheer them on. They didn't dare - outclassed by 10 man Farnborough and left hoping a shot launched on the wind might penetrate their defence. The only time we penetrated was early on when PM got thru 1 on 1 and instead of shooting from the edge of the area, decided to take it to the byline and square to a recovered defence. One point from the last 3 games - will we be in the top half of the table after the Oct / Nov fixtures ? The Stanley fans felt let down by an unacceptable performance today. Bring back Lutel !
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:37   #4
Senior Member+

Discraceful performance today.......Not happy
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:46   #5

Unhappy Re: Todays Game

The manager has gone into his shell like a frightened tortoise. The teams selected and systems used are blatantly defensive and give the initiative away to the opposition before a ball is kicked. There is no width without Rory or Lutel in the side. Why haven't we sent for Carvill who looked pretty good pre-season? This, plus the wretched situation re the excellent Jonathan Smith, are eroding our chances of a successful season. How many more games must Williams be picked to play before it's recognised he's an impostor at centre back?
qualtrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:37   #6
Senior Member+

Williams never played at CB yesterday..........
Old 03-10-2004, 12:44   #7
Senior Member+

I say, sub Robbie, with Smithy and give him an extended run in the side IMHO a far better player. But there again JC will decide, lets hope he reads this and other threads re JavaScript

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 17:24   #8

I didnt go to the game yesterday, but its frustrating to see Paul Mullin, game after game on his own up front. Why not play 2 up front? Last weeks game against Gravesend we started off with that formation. I agree it has been successful upto a point with the excellent Craney feeding off Mullen, but what if Mullen gets injured? Evil in that position maybe? I think he should play Evil and Mullen up front together at home at least. The defence seems so unsettled lately with loan players coming in and out. I dont see the lads training so I cannot comment on their committment in training, but why not, Cavanagh, Flynn, Smith, Howson? (I thought Bimson played well up to a point before he left). Midfield I would play: Lutel on the wing, with Brannan, Craney and Jagielka in there also. I would play a fit and interested Rory possibly but i dont know who i would drop. Up front Evil and Mullen. Why doesnt Evil play up front these days? (maybe he played there yesterday, I dont know)

I think that we have excellent potential and we will do well this season. I just worry if we get any injuries to key players we might struggle..
RossendaleRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 17:42   #9
Senior Member+

I agree with Rossendale Red on the formation, maybe not the line-up, but the formation and tactics at home and against weak away sides,e.g. Farnborough yesterday,

We have got to attack more at home and against the poorer teams in the league because we have players in the team who can score bags and bags of goals so why not use this and play 4-4-2 in these games.

Against tougher teams the 4-5-1 formation works a treat but when we play this against lower sides and at home this could be a disadvantage........As proved yesterday.
Old 03-10-2004, 17:58   #10
Junior Member+

the 4-5-1 formation is good but Coley is playing the wrong players it should be:
Jon Kennedy Cav Flynn Smithy Howson Jaggers Brannon
Craney Rocky/Howarth Carvill Lutel

Mullin needs a rest he can't manage upfront on his own all the time he needs somebody with him to play his best game.
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 18:09   #11
Senior Member+

If your playing 4-5-1 you can't play a defender in midfield as provern yesterday or play Lutel up front on his own.

The whole point of a 4-5-1 formation is for the striker to hold the ball up for midfielders making attacking runs. Lutel unfortunately cannot hold the ball up.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:51   #12
Resting In Peace

What's all this moaning for, we are in sixth place.

When I made bad comments after the Stevenage game I was told to stop moaning - we are second in the league - what more do you want.

Well we are now sixth in the league. Are people starting to agree with me - I don't believe it.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:09   #13
Senior Member+

Stop moaning and looking for support Jeff. If we had a defence we'd be dangerous!
Old 04-10-2004, 11:03   #14
Resting In Peace

Tin Monkey - If you can't find anything constructive to say then please don't post sarcastic comments aimed at me. It's not me that is looking for support. If it's raining tomorrow we will be lucky to have 1000 at the match.

Anybody know what was wrong with Lutel on Saturday ?
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 12:01   #15
Senior Member+

Jeff - if I didn't post sarcastic comments then I wouldn't have anything to post at all!

P.S Due to lack of smilies I wasn't sure if you were joking or not, so I'll assume you were. My post was very much tongue-in-cheek, just in case you missed the wink.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..