Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2013, 16:16   #16
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Torquay thread

Well, the dust has settled & the Lads have put in another good performance, keep it up Lads, pleased for you all.
Old 23-11-2013, 16:27   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Well only 10pts off a play off position now. Fair play to Torquay they came to win the game, Bottom line though is 3 or 4 fer us was not unrealistic.
Old 23-11-2013, 16:43   #18
Resting in Peace

A fine team performance gave us a deserved win with every man jack working his socks off and really playing for each other. Really difficult to pick a man of the match but you can't argue with the sponsor's choice of Mingioia. He was terrific, terrorising the Torquay defence down the left and producing some amazing dribbles and superb crosses. He has really blossomed with getting an extended run in the side, and it was great to see us getting joy down both flanks.
I have to say Joyce and Murphy really impressed me today for the very first time. Keep it up, boys!
Torquay played some nice stuff and to be honest they could have snatched a draw or even in win near the end if they had been steadier in front of goal.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 16:54   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Murph put oer a peach of a cross fer the winner. only neg fer me was a couple of our players more than once, broke down the wing, ball goes out fer throw in to us, n both were still walking away when throw was taken, giving us less options, J.B. i hope noticed n addresses it.
Old 23-11-2013, 17:04   #20
Senior Member+

Thought it wouldn't be easy and it wasn't !!
Both teams went for it from the first whistle which made for an exciting game.
To be fair ,although we had enough chances to win two games,I was impressed with Torquay,and they had bags of pace throughout the team.
Difference for me was confidence,we had it,they didn't.
Lot of good performances,but for me Aldred was top of the pile,never put a foot wrong,and stood firm when they thro the kitchen sink at us
baldy likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 17:35   #21
Senior Member+

TBH its a game that the result could have gone either way, only 2 weeks left on the original loan spell of Kayode (anyone know if we are getting an extension on that loan)
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 17:56   #22
Junior Member+

I thought Liddle was cracking today. Never stopped running up and down the left wing.
baldy likes this.
jenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 18:12   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Was a good game i thought, 2 sides wanting it was nice to see. My thoughts on Div 2 this season, There is NO stand out side. Think anyone can beat anyone on there day, What i have seen of us this season there aint many better than us,if any.Of course the doom mongers are as blind as Ray Charles.
carpon likes this.
Old 23-11-2013, 20:39   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
A fine team performance gave us a deserved win with every man jack working his socks off and really playing for each other. Really difficult to pick a man of the match but you can't argue with the sponsor's choice of Mingioia. He was terrific, terrorising the Torquay defence down the left and producing some amazing dribbles and superb crosses. He has really blossomed with getting an extended run in the side, and it was great to see us getting joy down both flanks.
I have to say Joyce and Murphy really impressed me today for the very first time. Keep it up, boys!
Torquay played some nice stuff and to be honest they could have snatched a draw or even in win near the end if they had been steadier in front of goal.
Cheers RR - The usual honest, frank, unbiased match report for us exiles. Expect nothing else from a fellow bottom-ender.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 23:29   #25
Full Member+

For me.....a good honest and reasonably solid performance. Hit early with a sucker punch ( albeit a cracking finish ) against the run of play, but showed more than enough resilience and character to grind out a win.

Don't get me wrong....I'm not getting giddy with seven unbeaten, but for me at least, in recent weeks and since the upturn in form and fortunes, we've shown enough to suggest that we'll be able to put the worry beads away a long time before the season comes to it's business end.

The lads are beginning to really tick. Early doors..... before the sucker punch, I don't think Torquay could live with our pace and movement. With no cup distractions and a few more positive results, this team could really make a concerted drive to get into the upper reaches of League 2.

That said, all it takes is a couple of defeats and we're looking over our shoulders again.....although it's wonderful to be now looking down at a few rather than up at the rest !!!

Big Odejayi is a wonderful and powerful focal point, Bowerman looks like a reasonable foil, at times we can move the ball around quickly and get the ball wide and get in behind full backs.

Plenty of reasons for optimism and to look forward to the rest of this season.

One personal wish.....James Beattie..... get on the phone to Peter Taylor at Gillingham and persuade him to let Linganzi come back North.... either on loan or permanently......

With a powerful player like him in midfield we could really kick on up the league !

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 01:20   #26
God Member

Isn't life just WONDERFUL.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 07:33   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile View Post
Cheers RR - The usual honest, frank, unbiased match report for us exiles. Expect nothing else from a fellow bottom-ender.
No problem, Smobile. Aye, they don't come much more bottom-ender than me. Living only two or three hundred yards from the Great Harwood boundary fence I hasten to add, just in case nobody gets the wrong idea!
smobile likes this.
Old 24-11-2013, 07:40   #28
Senior Member+

An interesting read from Torquay's site for anyone who couldn't make it:
ACCRINGTON 2 UNITED 1
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 09:24   #29
Senior Member+

Yes, I agree with earlier comments... a good all round performance. New attitude was typified by George Bowerman's willingness to chase a totally lost cause up the left touchline to win the throw in that led to our first goal. Pierro and "Lids" also had great combative games working their socks off. In fact all the team played really well.Two most pleasing aspects for me were Murphy's great run to get to the crucial position on the goal line, from which the pull back takes the opposing keeper and centre halves out of the move. The second was the much improved performance by Luke Joyce. He played a true captain's match, continuously harrasing opponents and tackling higher up the pitch.
Well done lads!
ON STANLEY ON
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 18:30   #30
Resting in Peace

Shows a bit more than BBC's Football League show did:-

Accrington 2-1 Torquay | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..