Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2010, 11:44   #1
Senior Member+

Ultras & Flag Poles

As many of you saw yesterday, there were no banners on the railings & no flags flying from the Ultras section. Many know the reasons, because I bored most fans I know with the tale before the game.

Basically, somebody had decided that flag poles were a safety hazard & therefore could only be waved before the game. Then they had to be handed over to stewards. Obviously some of the flags will get waved after goals etc etc. Some of the youngsters had the poles confiscated even though they were bought in the club shop!

When we refused then the stewards said the would "steam" into the crowd & remove them if we wouldn't comply. Which I thought would be fun tbh

But they decided, probably best, to confiscate them before the game. So we took the decision to remove all banners too. To be honest, I nearly went home!!!

The stewards also broke one of the £15 long poles & never even said sorry!

When I consulted Rob Heys, he never knew anything about the new rule.....

Stanley Ultras have spent 5 years decorating the Clayton End in colour & we are proud of our actions. The club won't stop us supporting "our" way & the fans I talked too like the flags & the colour in the Clayton End.

I hope that fan pressure will bring about a change in how the Clayton End is stewarded. We have been all over the country this year & seen better stewarding everywhere......

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-02-2010, 12:30   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Ultras & Flag Poles

Id have to agree mate was an absolute joke.

Does Mick Schultz know about it????
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 12:32   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

This is safety gone mad the banners n flags are part of stanley, stewards are probably doing what they been instructed willie, thats were the main FLAK should go, IMHO.
Old 21-02-2010, 12:35   #4
Senior Member+

A total load of Balls to be frank!!!
This saga is going on now for far too long, it needs sorting out and so do the stewards aswell!! They have no respect for fans, especially the older generation and there power mad and think they can say and do what they want. What happened to cooperation especially with the home fans!!!

What really annoyed me of what you have just said Jay is the kids who have spend their money on a flag from the CLUBSHOP and then had it confiscated because they are waving it , trying to support our team!!! They are putting money into OUR club and being treated , well like...rubbish to be honest!! That really gets on my nerves! Some of them kids thankfully keep coming back but i bet they wont be putting any more money into the club for flags, scarves etc?
Whats going to be next, banning scarves as they might take someone's eye out??

Its getting beyond the joke, we need to do something about this and fast!!

FANS NOT CRIMINALS!!!!!

Last edited by Stanleymad; 22-02-2010 at 11:07. Reason: obvious swearing language - family site!
fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 12:55   #5

Removing flag poles from the fans, wot a joke thats is, muppet stewarding at its best
did'nt even move a bunch of bradford fans, who abused tom lees with a vile taunt, (and we told the stewards what was said), hope we never have any real trouble at the ground (rant over) ta ta
ddevil2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 13:06   #6
Senior Member+

Don't worry DD.

If there is any trouble in the away end, the stewards will be on the Clayton End telling 8 year olds to sit down!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Old 21-02-2010, 13:07   #7
God Member

The flags and general display by the Ultras are superb, definately the Twelth Man!

When you are actually in the Clayton End itself you don't always see and appreciate what a spectacle it helps to create, after spending a couple of games in hospitality this season I can tell you it does make a difference especially when the two teams take to the pitch to be greeted by a Sea of Red & White.

Please somebody at the Club help sort it out, the Crown will be a poorer place without the injection of colour that this provides for the Supporters & Team Alike.

We are One we are Stanley

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 13:08   #8

hmmmm its taken this long to decide poles are H&S risk?

were flag poles removed from the away fans does anyone know?

and will the club meet the cost of damaged caused by their staff?
katei77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 13:11   #9
God Member

IF this directive has come from the top of the club then the top of the club (again) dont deserve our support.

Glad the stewards didn't have to 'steam' into the crowd because I would like to be there when they try that one on.
Old 21-02-2010, 13:26   #10
Resting in Peace

Never thought our stewarding would stoop to the lows of the crackpot Leeds levels. Game and country has gone completely mad. I'm emigrating again.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 14:41   #11
Full Member+

Whilst I totally agree, Willie, that the stewards would rather deal with 8-year-olds on the Clayton End than with away fans, the worst thing about what happened in the case of DD's post is that the group of Bradford fans had somehow got in with the home fans on the Whinney Hill terrrace!! The foul-mouthed abuse of Tom Lees, when he came to take a throw-in, was appalling but, what was worse is that it would appear to him to be coming from home fans!! The stewards were informed about the presence of these yobs on several occasions but chose to take no action, other than "a quiet word". Now, I have no objection in principle to a few Bradford fans getting in the wrong area. Indeed, I feel that segregation at grounds has destroyed much of the friendly banter which used to exist. However, those fans' abuse of Tom Lees yesterday was outrageous, as were the loud shouts, referring to the Clayton Enders as a load of c***s who needed shutting up! Stewards - where were they? No doubt busy confiscating children's flagpoles from the Clayton End! Mick Schultz please take note!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 14:46   #12
Senior Member+

Well said......
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 14:54   #13
Senior Member+

Yep, their priorities are very very wrong....

The stewards on the home end should be relaxed & polite & should smile once in a while. If one stewards attitude stops fans attending then the club are ****ing in the wind with season ticket deals, advertising, better facilities....

When it comes to the away fans (especially for teams with "reputation") then the stewarding should be firmer. OldGobbin's tale is a sad one & reminds me of York years ago when the stewards just gave up & stood pitchside....

Like we have said, much easier concentrating on 8 year olds who are stood up then grown men acting like hooligans

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Old 21-02-2010, 14:56   #14
God Member

There are rules from FA, FL, LCC or the boys in blue that we'll have to put up with now that we're in the Football League. Most won't have a problem with these as we know things will change as success comes. But there's a way to do things, a way to treat fans - nay, a way to treat people - that doesn't make them feel like criminals. Unfortunately the stewards mentioned in the opening post obviously lack any modicum of sense/decency. This is just one of a few recent incidents that leaves a sour taste in the mouth and a sad reflection upin the club itself. The fans will do their best keep to the rules, it's just a lot easier to do so when they aren't being alienated by the actions of representatives of the club they've come to cheer on.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 14:59   #15

the bradford fans were in the home end, near the coppice fence
ddevil2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..