Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 22:37   #106
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: v darlington match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
It has been mentioned here before that our players movement "off the ball" is very poor. The only options for our man in possession is to pass to a closely marked colleague or beat a man before releasing the ball, except that very few of our players have the confidence to take an opponent on. Too often it's a case of the big, hopeful punt, usually easily dealt with by the opposition's defenders. Is this down to lack of coaching, or just lack of confidence? Grimsby's quick "give and go" interchanges, with players creating angles which took our defenders out of the game, was a joy to watch (through gritted teeth). Why can we not seem to adopt this style of play?
its gotta be one or the other IMHO, confidence or coaching? i agree about Grimsby, they have had a crap season, but their play was superior.
Old 11-04-2010, 00:04   #107
bdc

I cannot believe that Chris Turner did not make it into the final 18 today, to put McConville in ahead of him is absolutely crazy. Also playing Jimmy Ryan on the right wing is playing our best attacking minded midfielder out of position and this reduces his ability to score the important goals that he did last season. The full backs are part of the reason why our passing game has disintegrated, Lees and especially Winnard seem intent on hoofing the ball as much as possible and in the process completely bypass our midfield.

Today's performance was pretty poor in truth, we had a few chances but overall the quality of play from both sides was rubbish. Darlington and Grimsby are the sort of teams that we should be beating and comfortably but there seems to be something not quite right, I have noticed since January that Symes doesn't seem to put in the same effort as he did before. Some of his play today was either lazy or lethargic, there was a couple of times when he could of chased the ball but he seemed completely uninterested.

To have Chris Turner on the bench would've meant that we had a decent option to bring on who could offer something different and put in the crosses that would create chances. I cannot work out why he is being treat so shabby, McConville is too lightweight and doesn't offer the same skill as Chris. Is it a case that JC cannot motivate the players anymore and has took the club as far as he can? I hope I am wrong but I think that it could be the case.
bdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:21   #108
God Member

The most amusing and pointless excercise was Bobby Grant running after imaginery balls hoofed up front, no idea where it was going to land looking at defenders for clues

I just can't understand why we can't play the simple on the ground pass & move stuff, when we play it we look decent and create chances

Simple possession football, control & dictate the play

We have a midfield play through it not bypass it for it to come straight back at us putting us on the back foot.

I want to enthuse about the quality of our football not be constantly critical

This Season has been difficult through the early season off field goings on but the football on the pitch served up at that time was delicious and brought us some great performances in League & Cups which was probably as good as we have played in any of our time in the Football League.

Since late January it has gone downhill with numerous chances to readdress the problems but on the whole it has proved fruitless for whatever reason?

We still have six games to gather 18 points all of which are winnable and secure what our football early on promised.

Four games at home to promote ourselves to the wider public with some clever ticket prices and help to try to push up the Season Ticket sales

Push On Stanley On

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:11   #109
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
The most amusing and pointless excercise was Bobby Grant running after imaginery balls hoofed up front, no idea where it was going to land looking at defenders for clues

I just can't understand why we can't play the simple on the ground pass & move stuff, when we play it we look decent and create chances

Simple possession football, control & dictate the play

We have a midfield play through it not bypass it for it to come straight back at us putting us on the back foot.
Our problem summed up perfectly. As Google Page Ranking has said, we have proved ourselves capable of playing it on the ground and we've got results from it.

So why aren't we doing it now?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:12   #110

thought symesy played well today as did most of our lads should have won really but will take a draw. anything away from home is a bonus,thats the first time in a while that the defence have not leaked,but also didnt manage to net,cant always have it both ways, heres to tuesday.
vicburdett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:23   #111
Senior Member+

Whats the difference between hoffing the ball and a great 40 yard pass ? answer ; If the forward brings it down and retains possession in the last third.Why dont all prem teams not try and play the Aresnal way ? and what have they won in the last 4 years playing that way.
The truth is players play to instructions,if they dont agree they move on , most coaching theories are backed up with facts --- charlie hughes is to blame !!! games know are all about points not performances unfortunately
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:46   #112
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Whats the difference between hoffing the ball and a great 40 yard pass ? answer ; If the forward brings it down and retains possession in the last third.Why dont all prem teams not try and play the Aresnal way ? and what have they won in the last 4 years playing that way.
The truth is players play to instructions,if they dont agree they move on , most coaching theories are backed up with facts --- charlie hughes is to blame !!! games know are all about points not performances unfortunately
I don't deny players play to instruction, but there has to be room for common sense, if you look at the whole back four as a whole before they make the pass you can pretty much decipher which way it is going.

It's easy meat for most defenders in League Two they mop it up and then pass and go and put us straight on the back foot from an Accrington attack!

Possession allows you to dictate the pattern of play whether that's with a fast counter attack or to slow it down and pass the ball around creating chances.

I would imagine Coley & Jimmy must be somewhere up the UEFA Coaching ladder so they must have some ideas of how to rectify our performances of late?

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:17   #113
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
I don't deny players play to instruction, but there has to be room for common sense, if you look at the whole back four as a whole before they make the pass you can pretty much decipher which way it is going.

It's easy meat for most defenders in League Two they mop it up and then pass and go and put us straight on the back foot from an Accrington attack!

Possession allows you to dictate the pattern of play whether that's with a fast counter attack or to slow it down and pass the ball around creating chances.

I would imagine Coley & Jimmy must be somewhere up the UEFA Coaching ladder so they must have some ideas of how to rectify our performances of late?
Possesion football is the only type to attract more people to watch football IMHO. folk certainly won't spend "Hard Earned" to watch constant "Hoofing" thats a knocking bet.
Old 11-04-2010, 15:37   #114
Senior Member+

Well after the diabolical defending we have seen in the last couple of games it was nice to keep a clean sheet for once.

Bavs made a good stop in the 2nd half, fair play to him.

Obviously 2 teams very low on confidence and didnt want to give anything away, which is understandable in the circumstances.

Grant looks a different player up front and must start there with Symes on Tuesday night.

Maybe put Billy back on the bench.

As for no Turner on the bench, agreed its an absolute joke, no doubt in my mind he will be off to Morecambe or Rochdale come the end of the season.

I simply cannot see how Coley rates Mcconville or Miles higher than him?????

Other than that I must admit as bad as it sounds I wasnt THAT disappointed with a point.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 15:45   #115
Senior Member+

Oh and agree the most exciting thing was the banter with the Darlo fans lol
Old 11-04-2010, 16:00   #116
God Member

Exclamation Re: v darlington match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Well after the diabolical defending ............

.......As for no Turner on the bench, agreed its an absolute joke, no doubt in my mind he will be off to Morecambe or Rochdale come the end of the season.

I simply cannot see how Coley rates Mcconville or Miles higher than him?????
If he does go, at least unlike Symes we should get some cash for him!!! Small consolation, I know! The mind numbing thing about all this is, we paid money for McConville and Chris would play for us for free, he just loves Stanley, strange that to me

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 16:05   #117
Senior Member+

Baffles me I must admit
Old 11-04-2010, 18:12   #118

Chris turner must play!

Not one fan iv ever spoke to even rates mcconville in the slightest but yet he plays or involved every week in some way.. yet everybody likes chris turner not just because hes a local lad but cause he is easily a better player and our best crosser of the ball...

As for yesterday, not many chances but the better chances was for the stanley. a point and a clean sheet away from home even against bottom of the league isnt that bad, especially after 5 defeats i think

AccyAggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:07   #119
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
It has been mentioned here before that our players movement "off the ball" is very poor. The only options for our man in possession is to pass to a closely marked colleague or beat a man before releasing the ball, except that very few of our players have the confidence to take an opponent on.
Spot on. Players are usually taught to 'pass and move', but our players seem to 'pass and stand still'
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 20:55   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Whats the difference between hoffing the ball and a great 40 yard pass ? answer ;

wrong the difference is playing the ball so it is more likely to be controlled. a great 40 yard pass is one that is weighted in the forwards favour maybe 75/25%. dropping it short or below waist height or away from the defender. our defenders play it around symes and grants neck or above, this for me is hoofing with no thought. if any ball is more than 50/50 surely a shorter pass would be a better option imho
rude-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..