Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2010, 16:32   #1
Resting in Peace

We need a coach

A FOOTBALLING coach. What on earth do they do all week in training - give prizes for anyone who can get volcanic ash on the ball? We need someone to drill into the players the need to keep the ****** ball, treat it like a lover, not a hot potato. You can't give the ball away like we do and expect to come out on top.
OK, we were a little bit better in the second half, but I hope Coley doesn't come out with the old "We were the better team in the second half", like he did v. Port vale - because we were not better than Hereford in doing the things that matter - using possession to draw defenders out of position and putting the ball in the net. They were unlucky not to score 2 goals in the second half even before their late winner. A flag happy liner may have denied us a goal to make it 2-1, but in truth we didn't really play well enough to get the win. It hurts to see lower teams in the league(and I won't disrespect them by calling them inferior teams) continually showing us the way to get results. If the second half had been as horrible as the first, I was ready to walk out before the end for the very first time in my 60 years of watching football.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-04-2010, 16:49   #2

Re: We need a coach

We are not good enough at keeping the ball for long enough... dont think kempson has passed the ball on the floor since last september and other players such as proccy even though he wears his heart on his sleeve is not good at keeping posession and passes sideways and backwards more than he passes forwards. Being the home side today we should have kept the ball for longer and we would have ripped them apart, but instead, a home defeat to the mighty hereford, and no win in 8! great...

AccyAggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 16:58   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Agree Redraine, its if one can be afforded, given our budget, we also need a "Keeper" Desperately, the pantomime season was oer just after christmas.
Old 17-04-2010, 17:04   #4
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyAggro View Post
We are not good enough at keeping the ball for long enough... dont think kempson has passed the ball on the floor since last september and other players such as proccy even though he wears his heart on his sleeve is not good at keeping posession and passes sideways and backwards more than he passes forwards. Being the home side today we should have kept the ball for longer and we would have ripped them apart, but instead, a home defeat to the mighty hereford, and no win in 8! great...
Perhaps if Coley spent as much time actually coaching the team from the sideline as he does blowing his top and whinging to referees, things May be different. Simply not good enough to fail to win in 8, and especially to opposition lower than us on the table. Someone must be answerable for that.
redder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 17:06   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

remember the owd saying- ya can polish a turd, but its still a turd.
Old 17-04-2010, 17:16   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
remember the owd saying- ya can polish a turd, but its still a turd.
Yes, but it was a turd smelling of roses before the wheels came off. Wheels on a turd? What am I on about?
Old 17-04-2010, 17:27   #7

call time it . now get new man in hot seat . let him get all coachs in keeper ground football .. not up to the tip and back .that smells
Grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 17:35   #8
God Member

Lets have a look more closely where it all went wrong, this is purely my point of view as somebody watching the game Today:

Bull's Left Back was there for the taking did we have a right sided midfielder playing there no we had a central midfielder.

Coley say's we don't hoof well I lost count of how many times the ball dissappeared out of my eyeline over the top of the Clayton End Roof.

Ball from centre of defence goes like a boommerang sideways and like a boomerang it usually comes straight back at us.

I made a point of watching basic player movement today just to see if I can fathom out positional play and I have to say we don't look difficult to suss out or break down, the centre of midfield just dosn't work often going for the same ball, when one goes the other should sit, the back four usually bypass the middle of the park looking for the long ball and Symes to hold it up.

The wide players usually have to check back to revert to their natural positions and playing styles rather than skinning the full backs and getting to the bye line and pinging the ball in.

Keeper now that is a problem area positionally poor, not strong enough shouts for the defence at times, shotstopping is strong, distribution is usually poor not often do we throw out and go straight on the counter attack, kicks tend to be one sided just look at the position of players from kicks out of hands.

When we did get the ball down and passed it around and kept a little possession Today we looked decent and created a threat, that was as far as I can remember of how we put that great run together earlier in the Season.

Then we worked as a unit from front to back with chasing back, good distribution, the front two were almost telepahthic in their understanding of each other but now even the basics of trying to string four or five passes together without losing posession through either over hitting it or playing it into the wrong area, it's hurting we are better than that!

I can only call it as I see it

I am no expert but I think I watch enough footie live to have a basic knowledge of how teams operate.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 17:44   #9

pendle thats spot on .. we are not good anymore ... do not think we could win a game untill the start of next season . hope we do im going to crewe next week too
Grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 17:50   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimps View Post
pendle thats spot on .. we are not good anymore ... do not think we could win a game untill the start of next season . hope we do im going to crewe next week too
Maybe part of it is just confidence like all things once you get into a cycle it can be difficult to break it?

I would like to think any kind of win at the moment would just lift the spirits and get the monkey off the back so too speak.

It is painful to watch at the moment though

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 18:22   #11
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
Lets have a look more closely where it all went wrong, this is purely my point of view as somebody watching the game Today:

Bull's Left Back was there for the taking did we have a right sided midfielder playing there no we had a central midfielder.

Coley say's we don't hoof well I lost count of how many times the ball dissappeared out of my eyeline over the top of the Clayton End Roof.

Ball from centre of defence goes like a boommerang sideways and like a boomerang it usually comes straight back at us.

I made a point of watching basic player movement today just to see if I can fathom out positional play and I have to say we don't look difficult to suss out or break down, the centre of midfield just dosn't work often going for the same ball, when one goes the other should sit, the back four usually bypass the middle of the park looking for the long ball and Symes to hold it up.

The wide players usually have to check back to revert to their natural positions and playing styles rather than skinning the full backs and getting to the bye line and pinging the ball in.

Keeper now that is a problem area positionally poor, not strong enough shouts for the defence at times, shotstopping is strong, distribution is usually poor not often do we throw out and go straight on the counter attack, kicks tend to be one sided just look at the position of players from kicks out of hands.

When we did get the ball down and passed it around and kept a little possession Today we looked decent and created a threat, that was as far as I can remember of how we put that great run together earlier in the Season.

Then we worked as a unit from front to back with chasing back, good distribution, the front two were almost telepahthic in their understanding of each other but now even the basics of trying to string four or five passes together without losing posession through either over hitting it or playing it into the wrong area, it's hurting we are better than that!

I can only call it as I see it

I am no expert but I think I watch enough footie live to have a basic knowledge of how teams operate.
Pendle, you have my vote for coach. You read the game better than others.
redder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 18:32   #12
Resting in Peace

"No one on here is saying that they expect Arsenal or Barcelona to turn up next season, but just keep the ball, at least against the non-top teams, and give ourselves a better chance. I think the main cause of most goals we let in is simply the amount of time we hand the ball back to the other team by hitting it forward. We have decent defenders, but you can't ask them to do 60 minutes of solid defending every week and not expect the odd mistake or the odd piece of genius from the other teams. The problem is that we are in the premier league and even the sides at the very bottom are too good to do that to."
The above is taken from the Rovers messageboard today - seems we are not alone!
Old 17-04-2010, 18:40   #13
Resting in Peace

"kicks tend to be one sided just look at the position of players from kicks out of hands."
Every time Bavs did this all 20 outfield players were crammed into a box about one eighth of the total area of the pitch - surreal! Of course this resulted in interminable bouts of head tennis, usually ending with the ball bouncing off Proccy's head and into touch.
Old 17-04-2010, 20:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimps View Post
Pendlered for coach then. lol
huncoatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 21:06   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Yes, but it was a turd smelling of roses before the wheels came off. Wheels on a turd? What am I on about?
Red !...I drove my first car...a Ford Anglia circa 1960 and coloured 'Mocha Brown ' up to my door on the day I, bought it,and my next-door neighbour broke off from watering his Hydrangeas to shout over the fence to me...
'What's that Lad...a turd on wheels ??'.
So that makes your question seem not quite as unreasonable as you might have thought !.
(This is but a brief attempt at diverting our collective thoughts away from the 'End of Season Blues' which we are witnessing in our Team on each occasion we visit The Crown Ground.).
Better Team, Better Pitch, Better Times with IK...
waiting for us just around the corner !.
(Red-Coloured Glasses again?)..'ON STANLEY!..ON !!!.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..