Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-05-2007, 08:25   #46

Re: Whats happened to the Crown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay View Post
I've heard off four different people tonight (& a member of ASFC staff two weeks ago) that the Crown re-opens next Wednesday. Rumour has it that Eric Whalley has bought it, & that the Sportmans bar at the club will be used solely for corporate hospitality & the ASFC fans can drink in the pub. Like I said this is what i've heard. It may be wrong.

Punch inns very rarely sell local pubs, so this more likely is a rumour unless eric has took the lease on, but it is still on punch taverns website!
I have ran a pubs off punch inns and they do put managers in till someone takes the lease,
The trouble with they give you good deals for say 6 months then every thing shoots up in price once you get the pubs running, i know been there done that! so good luck who takes the pub! like beni said "i would not have another pub tied to a brewery", only way i would take a pub is free house so i better win the lottery!

'The views expressed here are my own and are not necessarily those of the site'
Traceyb37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-05-2007, 09:40   #47
God Member

if, as Davo quoted, the lease is £27500 for five years, does that not tie the rent up for five years as well?
Old 17-05-2007, 09:49   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay View Post
I've heard off four different people tonight (& a member of ASFC staff two weeks ago) that the Crown re-opens next Wednesday. Rumour has it that Eric Whalley has bought it, & that the Sportmans bar at the club will be used solely for corporate hospitality & the ASFC fans can drink in the pub. Like I said this is what i've heard. It may be wrong.

Would this not be a bit strange given the recent events in Ribchester or is EW's business separate to EW ?
Old 17-05-2007, 10:23   #49
God Member

recent events in Ribchester were nowt to do with Eric or his business portfolio. It was an inherited problem.
Old 17-05-2007, 10:30   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
recent events in Ribchester were nowt to do with Eric or his business portfolio. It was an inherited problem.

Ah right. I read about it in the telegraph which is probably why it's nothing like the truth then
Old 17-05-2007, 11:09   #51
God Member

I think the problem was that it was not announced when and why he bought into it as it was nothing to do with Accrington Stanley as such. If it had been announced that EW Whatever had spent xyz then the inevitable questions would have come from the Whalley Out brigade that he can buy this that and t'other for himself but not for the club!!! You know what people are like.

I dont know the ins and outs of the deal and very few people will, but when the Telegraph heard that he was involved with a company that had unpaid debts they made it sound bad. They didn't tell any lies but the chronology of events was represented and neither was Erics version of the story until later.

Most people having read something closer to the truth will realise that it was nowt to do with him at all and that he has actually lost money on the deal.

As with most things though, people will prefer their own version that makes him out to be the villain rather than somebody who was trying to do the right thing and Stanley would have profited from it as well in quite a big way.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..