Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2007, 12:43   #1

Yeti Pentathlon Champion!
Cash Beast Champion!

Where are the moaners?

Just wondered why it is so quiet on here at the moment.Why is it when Stanley are playing badly,the forum is full of people whinging about how bad things are,but now things have turned around these people are nowhere to be seen? Obviously this is not aimed at the vast majority of you.
norwich stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-04-2007, 13:00   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Where are the moaners?

While some people see it as 'moaning', it's actually called caring. It comes from years of supporting a team and 'investing' hours of your life (and not an inconsiderable amount of money) into that past-time.

If people didn't care, they wouldn't waste their time. Of course, all the Johnny-Come-Lately's will see it differently.
Old 15-04-2007, 13:10   #3

Well said Tin

e: [email protected]
w: accrington.vitalfootball.co.uk
VitalStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 13:35   #4

all out enjoying the nice wheather
Old 15-04-2007, 14:42   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_ASFC View Post
all out enjoying the nice wheather
Either that or learning to spell correctly .........lol

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 20:44   #6

Well, I'll stick to what I said previously despite our likely survival in league 2. I still believe changes at the top are absolutely vital in the medium/long-term interests of the club. If they don't happen expect the worst.
qualtrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 20:59   #7
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

There is a time and a place to raise questions or to just have a good moan and it's not now. When the season is over I expect a full inquiry as to how things can be improved for next season but I will repeat what I've said all season that Eric Whalley must go before he takes us back down, while you're leaving Eric take that Russell (you're not on the list) son with you.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 21:03   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I will repeat what I've said all season that Eric Whalley must go before he takes us back down, while you're leaving Eric take that Russell (you're not on the list) son with you.
But, Bagpuss, if Eric were to go, who would you be expecting to take up the reins?
Old 15-04-2007, 21:19   #9
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
But, Bagpuss, if Eric were to go, who would you be expecting to take up the reins?
I haven't got any names except myself if I win the lottery but whoever it may be would have to be more professional when running the club as a business and be able to work with the local council amongst other things.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 21:37   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
I haven't got any names except myself if I win the lottery
That's the whole point. Whatever his faults, Eric is the guy who's prepared to do what must be quite a difficult job - run a professional football league club with a support base of 1,000-1,300. I don't see many other parties rushing in with takeover offers.

I agree, though, the club really needs to sharpen up its act in various areas such as admin, merchandising etc.
Old 16-04-2007, 15:19   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
I haven't got any names except myself if I win the lottery but whoever it may be would have to be more professional when running the club as a business and be able to work with the local council amongst other things.
Managers and players have got max levels at which they can perform. There's been a lot of muttering about JC not being able to cut it in Div 4 but imho if we survive this season given the resources he's had to work with, he's proved he can. But returning to the Chairman ...

Bagpuss' signature says it all - "Directors have nothing to do with it, they only sign the cheques". What EW's critics are really saying is that he doesn't write big enough cheques. If improvements are to be made (whether it's buying players, building a roo or putting in whizzy commercial staff), he has to bankroll them at least until they start to show a return - and like everybody else, he's probably got a weekly budget for spending on footy.

I an only think of 3 reasons for wanting the job - 1) Make money - and the Glazers own the only club in the country for which that's a likely possibility; 2) Massage one's ego - and being Chairman of Stanley is unlikely to get you into the trough with the movers and shakers of football, or even the town come to that, though undoubtedly this drives Abramovich and his ilk; 3) Loving a football club and having a bit (well a lot) of spare cash to put into it with no hope of return.

I put EW in 3 (though I'm sure he's got some ego and it sounds as though the lovely Russell has plenty to spare). He's spent enought to get us out of oblivion back into the League where we us old gits think we belong (though the town in general doesn't seen to give a carrot despite Macca's heroic efforts) and that was what he set out to achieve. It's a bit much to slag him off now on a regular basis for not bankrupting himself to try and drag us to even higher levels without the necessary support.

I'm sure if someone turned up with an offer and oodles of cash (and one lottery win ouldn't be enough) EW would happily let 'em get on with it. But until they do, we'd best just hope he doesn't jump ship (as we say here in Pompey), 'cos if he does, we'll be back where we've been pdq.

End of rant. Better apply to show I'm actually very happy after Saturday !
Old 18-04-2007, 17:47   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post

I'm sure if someone turned up with an offer and oodles of cash (and one lottery win ouldn't be enough) EW would happily let 'em get on with it. But until they do, we'd best just hope he doesn't jump ship (as we say here in Pompey), 'cos if he does, we'll be back where we've been pdq.
Trouble is, someone has offered him the cash - one Ilyas Khan - EW turned it down flat. It led to a falling out that has only just recently got back on the rails and they now tolerate each other. I believe that if EW was offered somewhere in the region of £1 million he would go, so that puts potential lottery winners straight to the top of the list. Have you bought your ticket yet?

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 21:07   #13
God Member

the maths of running a football club are pretty simple

approx 20 players on average of £27k per year is £540k divided by 52 weeks in the year equates to £10 384 per week. I would assume that to be the biggest outgoing.

average crowd this year of 2226 (vastly swelled by a freebie and good away crowds for this season only) x £13 (top side - not allowing for kids and concessions and discounted season tickets) is £28 938 x 23 games (665k) divided by 52 weeks (for a weekly income) is £12 799.

The weekly income (largest) barely covers the weekly expenditure (largest) and that is without factoring in the wages of the admin and management and coaching staff, the utility bills and National Insurance contributions for around 30 staff, matchday policing and stewarding.

There are other revenue streams such as sponsorships etc but it is blatantly obvious that very little cash is spare to update any of the main things such as the team, the ground and the infrastructure. I personally would like to see somebody come in and buy an almost equal with Eric share in the club. Leave Eric on charge and running the business in the shrewd manner that he has, but let some whizzkid put in some muscle that would allow us to compete off the field that would in return allow us to compete higher up the league on the field.

But until such time as the town starts to put its heart into the club then it is very unlikely we will ever get any higher. We all have a part to play in doing this as the town will not do it by themselves. I'm sure you are all aware that the OSC has got off its arse and started putting plans in motion that will increase our standing and finances - you can help to sustain this growth by ensuring you are a member (and next season you will all get your moneysworth out of it), by supporting our events even if it is not quite your cup of tea, by ###### our ****** next season, by offering your services now and again, by just making sure you wear your colours around town as often as possible. If the club cannot change, then we must change and make the club follow us. By showing the club what we can do and what help we can give then maybe we will be taken more seriously and respected as a body of clientele.

I predict that there is still a long way to go yet in the rise of Accrington Stanley BEFORE any fall that would naturally occur. I predict that in three years time you would not recognise the club anymore (or the OSC for that matter) in much the same way as you wouldn't recognise it now from the club that won the Unibond.

We all like a moan and I believe it can be very constructive if the people targetted dont take it personally. But what does annoy me is that many of the people who moan are not willing to try to do anything about it. This time last year I was vocal in my criticism of the Supporters Club, now I chair the damn thing! But, although time consuming and frustrating and head mashingly annoying, I am glad that I have had a go. Mistakes have been made but I truly believe that we have made real and quality progress this year. Hopefully more and more people will join the cause next season and we can become a powerful voice within Accrington Stanley and start to do what a Supporters Club should really be doing. That is to act for and on behalf of the fans to ensure that we get a fair deal, that the club is heading where we want, that everything possible is being done to maximise the potential of the club. To ensure that we are in a position to help the club whenever and wherever possible. I dont want to deliberate over an annual budget of £2000 and where can we spend it, I want to have an income of twenty thousand to argue the toss over.

All aboard?
Old 19-04-2007, 11:55   #14

Very well said both Chimer and Rob !!!
Urban Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 18:45   #15
Junior Member+

Thumbs up Re: Where are the moaners?

Hi Andy Dickinson here season ticket holder first time on this forum just thought I had to say well spoken supporters club I for one will be joining I know Eric and I think he will continue as long as it takes to get the club on a sound football league club footing both on & off the field it will take time but if we all pull together we will be successfull here's to 3 points on Saturday.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..