Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes
  • 6 Post By Greger
  • 3 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 5 Post By Crown Grounder
  • 1 Post By yonmon
  • 1 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 4 Post By andyd
  • 1 Post By cashman
  • 1 Post By yonmon
  • 1 Post By Watchdog
  • 1 Post By pifco

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2023, 20:49   #1

Wycombe Post match reflection

I cannot fault the effort, a battling performance I suppose. But there was very little quality, and the chances of us getting a goal were always slim.
Tactically we were very strange, and carrying a player for 70 minutes who does very little apart from taking set-pieces is a luxury we cannot afford, especially since he did that badly, too.
Shaun Whalley’s running produces enough energy to produce electricity for a middle-sized industrial town, but present science has not found a way to turn that energy into goals.
Pressley is strong, slow, but good at knocking the ball down for his strike-partner. It is not obvious to me why then, do you decide not to supply him with one. Shaun is no striker, has one League goal to his name, and when he goes wide, which does most of the game, nobody steps up. Quirk was playing behind the strikers said the commentators. Yeah, WAY behind. It got a little better when Tommy Leigh came on.
And Coley was moaning about the strikers he didn’t get. But he got one, and is not prepared to give him even a subs appearance.
The bottom clubs are so poor that we still have chance, believe it or not, but if we stick with the same unsuccessful approach to every game, even the lack of quality at Forest Green and the like will not save us.
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-02-2023, 22:03   #2
God Member

Re: Wycombe Post match reflection

Can’t argue with most of that, Greger.
For once we played a team that didn’t bother pressing Stanley in their own half , but still we couldn’t seem to get into any kind of rhythm or pattern of play in attack.
Yes, everybody, well almost everybody, battled and fought but we were just too slight and too slow, and too often getting in each other’s way.
Wycombe adopted a clever defensive tactic whereby two players would sandwich a Stanley attacker. Neither of them made a tackle, they just squashed the player without ‘fouling’, and the ball invariably popped out to one of the Wycombe players. Longelo had that treatment constantly but he did well to get past his markers as often as he did. Pity about his attempts at shooting, though.
But then all our shooting was pretty desperate. Even more frustrating was watching the pre-match warm-up shooting where Josh Woods stood out by a country mile, hammering balls past Jensen and Isherwood. Then sat on the bench again.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 22:25   #3

Pretty solid first half tonight but no threat up front. The ball didn't stick and we showed poor quality in decision malking around their box. I just can't see why Coley sticks with Whalley playing off Pressley. He just can't do it. Better either further back as an attacking mid-fielder or out wide right. Impressed with Pickles. What a good young player at 17. Didn't look out of place in the centre of the defence. He needs keeping at the club for as long as possible .....if you know what I mean. In the second half we were better after the changes were made........Need to start with the eleven we finished with on Saturday.......Still not able to finish......bit unlucky and wanting too many touches along with poor decision making in and around the box.......not sure how Coley can ignore his new young lonee striker after only a few hours of first team football........
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 23:08   #4
Senior Member+

No team can win their matches when fromm the first whistle they are virtually playing with 10 men against 11 !..and that's what we saw once again tonight !... 10 lads trying all they could muster to overcome their opponents, whilst carrying an ineffective, slow and failing leader !.
It seems from previous contributions to this thread that for once I am not alone in my opinion that whilst respecting his past services to our Club, that our stand-in leader has little to offer on the pitch anymore., and that there are fitter and better alternatives keeping the Substitute's bench warm .
AccyMad will hate me for this and Valairian won't be too pleased either, but tonight his failings stood out even more obvious than ever.
Gosh, I really am rapidly becoming the Forum's Chief Moaner and it pains me to keep taking up this role !.
So.. time for bed I think !..
Watchdog likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 07:14   #5
God Member

No sign of Stanley’s allegedly offside goal on the alleged “highlights” but, as I felt seeing it last night, what is the wide Wycombe player out on the touch line, who is about to receive the ball and cross it for them to bury it Stanley’s net, if not offside?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 957A3190-CCA1-4C68-B1AF-BB67DDA089E4.jpeg (350.2 KB, 19 views)
yonmon likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 08:47   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Grounder View Post
Pretty solid first half tonight but no threat up front. The ball didn't stick and we showed poor quality in decision malking around their box. I just can't see why Coley sticks with Whalley playing off Pressley. He just can't do it. Better either further back as an attacking mid-fielder or out wide right. Impressed with Pickles. What a good young player at 17. Didn't look out of place in the centre of the defence. He needs keeping at the club for as long as possible .....if you know what I mean. In the second half we were better after the changes were made........Need to start with the eleven we finished with on Saturday.......Still not able to finish......bit unlucky and wanting too many touches along with poor decision making in and around the box.......not sure how Coley can ignore his new young lonee striker after only a few hours of first team football........
Totally agree about Whalley no lack of effort or mazy runs but totally inadequate as a front man Liegh would probably be a better option there or the new lad from Arsenal, if Rodgers is better after his food poisoning I would have a back 3 of Fernandez Nottingham Rodgers put Sangare into midfield with Conneely and Clark and Longelo wide leave the clearly waning Mcconville out
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 08:59   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

to me we have NO OME who is a good finisher, its that simple, we had far more attempts than Wycombe. we had bishop and charles before.
andyd likes this.
Old 15-02-2023, 09:05   #8
Senior Member+

Cool Re: Wycombe Post match reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Totally agree about Whalley no lack of effort or mazy runs but totally inadequate as a front man Liegh would probably be a better option there or the new lad from Arsenal, if Rodgers is better after his food poisoning I would have a back 3 of Fernandez Nottingham Rodgers put Sangare into midfield with Conneely and Clark and Longelo wide leave the clearly waning Mcconville out

' the gentle let-down' Andy ?...
Kind, but sadly so accurate !..
Watchdog likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 16:24   #9
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
to me we have NO OME who is a good finisher, its that simple, we had far more attempts than Wycombe. we had bishop and charles before.
Spot on Cashy and, they have never been replaced like for like. We never look like we have any fire power up front who look like scoring consistently.
cashman likes this.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 18:00   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I said exactly the same last night Cashy apart from young Adekoya who looks a prospect I don't rate any of our current striker,s.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 18:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
[/B]

' the gentle let-down' Andy ?...
Kind, but sadly so accurate !..
Come on Sean......you can't ignore the challenge....Only 3 assists and a goal will save you from the wrath of this Forum on Saturday!!!!
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 02:59   #12
God Member

...Had a bit of water down here which took out internet, and electricity for a couple of days, so its only just now, 1 and a half days after match, that I have learned of our loss..*^$&%$&^$&$^%^*&%*$%*&^%^$%^#^&%&$^%!1. C'mon red men.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 08:20   #13
Full Member+

Glad to see you back KJ I was hoping that you hadn't come to any harm due the storm.
Kiwi John likes this.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 09:18   #14
God Member

Cheers PIFCO ..Now I've seen it on TV I'm shocked !! We had trees down and a neighbours fence, but the real **** happened a few miles north and west..they are still expecting more bodies, and where I work theres a stream beside me, and I found today that I would glance over and was worried I'ld see a body float by...It has devastated the Hawke Bay.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..