Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f97/)
-   -   Animal pictures? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f97/animal-pictures-62345.html)

Sunflower49 28-09-2012 10:32

Re: Animal pictures?

2 Attachment(s)
Peggy, my Sister's mini labradoodle
Spike, my fat hamster :)(ignore my tatty nails please)!

maxthecollie 28-09-2012 13:58

You don't expect animal lovers to have immaculate nails.

Sunflower49 30-09-2012 21:15

Lol thank you, very true!
My hamster passed away in the early hours of this morning :(
He was very old, was a rescue, I had to feed him with a dropper when I first got him. I like to think I gave him a good life as far as captive hamsters go. I think they're my favourite little animal.

maxthecollie 30-09-2012 21:18

How old is very old. Hamsters only have a short lifespan. We had one it lived for three years and died in my wife's hand.

Sunflower49 30-09-2012 21:24

3 years is good! :)
1000 days so I hear is what they are meant to live up until.
Well he was an unwanted runt of the litter when I got him, had had wet tail thus my having to nurse him, and due to him being a rescue I don't know how old he was-but he wasn't a baby then. I've had him at least two years, and due to ill-health I didn't expect him to last this long.
A few weeks ago I moved him from his large cage, into a normal hamster cage-because he wasn't as agile as he used to be so I was scared of him falling and hurting himself, plus he was sleeping most of the time anyway, I knew he was deteriorating.
That picture was a couple of months ago, though in hamster 'years' I am supposing it may have been compatible to ten years ago!
He was sleeping all day the other day and I checked on him and his breathing had slowed down but he was peaceful.
I put the room warmer and moved food and water closer to him, he woke briefly and I stroked him and he was okay. When I returned from work this morning he was in the same position, but had gone. It's sad but I've rescued so many animals that I'm a bit 'harder' about death-I'm not devastated or anything, he had a long life and I think about how many people treat little animals and feel I did the best I could do :)

kestrelx 01-10-2012 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 (Post 1019758)

lol where was that?

That was on the banks of a pond down in London! ;)

kestrelx 01-10-2012 18:44

1 Attachment(s)
I found this young grey squirrel on tarmac, must have fallen out of a tree and died. I put it on a shed roof and a crow had it for lunch! ;)

susie123 01-10-2012 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1020447)
I found this young grey squirrel on tarmac, must have fallen out of a tree and died. I put it on a shed roof and a crow had it for lunch! ;)

That's called recycling Kes! When we lived in the country we used to throw dead animals into our little copse - hens, cats, deer carcases (roadkill, after we'd taken the good bits off) for the foxes etc to finish off. We ended up with two nice clean deer skulls with horns after a few months, nailed them on our shed!

kestrelx 01-10-2012 20:19

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1020451)
That's called recycling Kes! When we lived in the country we used to throw dead animals into our little copse - hens, cats, deer carcases (roadkill, after we'd taken the good bits off) for the foxes etc to finish off. We ended up with two nice clean deer skulls with horns after a few months, nailed them on our shed!

Come to think of it Elvis used to eat squirrels -that one was fresh so i could have had it for breakfast never mind the crows! ;)

I suppose you didn't have any chickens when you were throwing out carcasses for the foxes.

susie123 01-10-2012 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1020472)
Come to think of it Elvis used to eat squirrels -that one was fresh so i could have had it for breakfast never mind the crows! ;)

I suppose you didn't have any chickens when you were throwing out carcasses for the foxes.

I've got a squirrel in the freezer at the mo, got it from a farmers' market.

Yes, we had forty chickens at one time - we used to throw any that died over into the copse. Only once had a problem with foxes killing any of our live chickens.

Sunflower49 15-10-2012 17:11

My snowdog :)

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/m...16t-n470vb.jpg
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/m...-2294131-n.jpg

Sorry for quality on mobile phone pic.

Kya in the snow where she belongs(?)

Avatar is my little hamst that died recently.

Gremlin 15-10-2012 18:28

1 Attachment(s)
Another squirrel for you Susie,
Taken at Bridge Heywood when we ran the park.

Sunflower49 16-10-2012 12:04

I am glad the roadkill pictures are gone.

kestrelx 16-10-2012 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 (Post 1022940)
I am glad the roadkill pictures are gone.

Wimps! :dummy2::D

Sunflower49 16-10-2012 22:27

Lol I began this thread to see nice pictures of animals and pets, not pictures of dead ones that are such because we drive cars!