Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2005, 21:49   #1
Member.

Let's not leave them alone, Please....

In the time we’re living in no one should be really alone or be in fear of going unnoticed, especially if your getting on a bit, suffer from ill health or just not someone who mix’s very much. Unfortunately is this day and age people are always afraid of being classed has being nosey or patronising by keeping an eye on or in touch with estranged family or older infirm neighbours.

On the news tonight was a story of a lady who has died after falling between furniture and being unable to get herself up again. This tragedy happened not two far from where I live and just behind a family member’s house. It is sad and disturbing that you can go unnoticed. We face a sever winter this year, more than in recent years. Perhaps we can make an effort ourselves to keep an eye open and ask if someone as gone unnoticed, rather than do noting. It might not be important to us at the time, but to someone it might be an alarm call, to others it might be the very difference between life and death……

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2005, 21:52   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Let's not leave them alone, Please....

Aaaah .. you have a heart I see Doug .. that's lovely .. I mean that sincerely. xx
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 22:06   #3
Give, give, give member

That is a nice thought Doug.

It would be great if we all knew our neighbours. We could use this Christmas to deliver a card by hand. I'm sure it's not just older people that feel isolated or lonely.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 22:07   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

unfortunately this happens all too often, sign of the times? its very upsetting and agree with doug.
Old 09-11-2005, 22:14   #5
Passed away 25-11-09

I used to have a neighbour who lived alone. She was a very reserved person, a widow in her late 70s, who "kept herself to herself".

I used to invite her in for coffee and, just occasionally, she would come. It wasn't easy to persuade her but I worried about her. She was about the same age as my late mother, at the time, and I knew Mum was well looked-after by her neighbours (she lived in Blackburn, 40 miles from here, so I wan't on hand for her) and I wanted to do the same. Such was the nature of the lady that once, when she had a flood in her house due to a burst water pipe in Winter, I sent my teenaged son and his then girlfriend over to help her to mop up the mess and she wouldn't let them in.

One day I noticed that her curtains had not been opened by lunchtime. I hammered on her door for 10 minutes but got no response. When I saw that her car was still in the garage I called the police who broke in and found her dead in her front room. She had been there since the previous evening.

The point is that although I did my best to be a good neighbour she resisted. She was just the same with all the other neighbours. It's not always easy.
Old 09-11-2005, 22:24   #6
Resting in Peace

You did your best westender, probably couldn't have prevented her passing away in any case, but at least, due to you, was not found days or even weeks later in a horrible decomposed state. I think you deserve a neighbour award or summat.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 22:26   #7
Resident Waffler

I understand exactly what you mean Westender. I had a similar experience with a neighbour many years ago. We can but try.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 22:30   #8
Give, give, give member

West Ender you couldn't have offered any more kindness than you did.

I've made jokes on here before that when I'm older I will have people trying to help me, when I really don't need any.

It is nice knowing someone cares, which I'm sure your neighbour did as well deep down.

Old 09-11-2005, 22:56   #9
God Member

Its a difficult one. But although many may resist the help, deep down it must hearten them to know that someone cares even if they are being stubborn old goats!!!

As already said westender at least your neighbour didn't lay undiscovered for weeks!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 23:03   #10
God Member

all this is prety horrifying to read at 16...seems im not as immortal as i thought id be!
just knowing that one of these people could be someone close to me or even me sends chills down my spine.
so iv made a promise to myself to go to the old lady's house next door evry day this december...her husband has been very ill lately and as you say doug noone should be alone especially at this time of year.
christ, im goin soft in my old age haha
must be something in the air in these forums....
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 23:07   #11
Give, give, give member

That's cool shakermaker.

Old 09-11-2005, 23:10   #12
God Member

i encourage everyone to do something along the same lines - doesnt cost owt yet its probably the best gift you can give someone this crimbo!!
Ta doug i feel inspired!!
Old 09-11-2005, 23:13   #13
Give, give, give member

Good on you.

Just don't go pestering her about who she thinks is better, George Formby of Gracie Fields.

Old 09-11-2005, 23:15   #14
God Member

haha, the must realise the greatness of George Formby!!

...his grills are fantastic!
Old 09-11-2005, 23:17   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

good lad shaker.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..