Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 19:18   #1
Beacon of light

What kind of lifestyle would 20 million pounds buy you?

The reason that I ask this question is because the ex wife of the divorced John Charman is expecting to get a 48 million pound divorce settlement......37% of his assets. John Charman feels that this is 'Obscene' as his wife did nothing to build up his business.

The children of this partnership are grown up so it isn't like Beverly Charman has some major expenditure in school fees etcetera.

I have mixed feelings about the situation. I feel that although John Charman feels that his wife did nothing to help him build up his business empire...he was in insurance, by the way....she did give him a stable family home and brought up two children.....so in a way she DID contribute.
However, I could manage quite nicely on just the interest that would accrue from such a vast amount of money....and I think she is being just a bit greedy.
What do you think?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-03-2007, 19:33   #2
I am Banned

Re: What kind of lifestyle would 20 million pounds buy you?

she should get very little, all this keeping a woman in a lifestyle she is accostomed to is insane they will just have to get acostomed to some other level of life style they can afford

she stayed at home and raised the kids well whoopee dooo so dad never did a thing and incidently she could have worked because dad could afford the day care , the rest of the women of this world manage to work and raise children so why couldnt she

teh kids are grown up and shes had a free easy ride but the rides over now so tough luck, if i had that guys money i would set her up in a small terraced house , 20 grand in teh bank then wish her the world of luck and tell her not to ring me ever again

if teh kids were still children as in under 18 then he should pay to put a roof over there head etc but they are grown up and she has no dpendants but herself so she should start learning to look after herself

any particular reason for teh divorce that would warrant a huge payout ?

Last edited by chav1; 07-03-2007 at 19:38.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 19:37   #3
God Member

I think if the money was made while they were marrierd then she is entitled, its likely that the reason he did so well was because she backed him and kept things running at home. I think the amount of money is obscene but its likely to be principal and of course what her lawyer has advised, dont forget they will get a percentage.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 19:37   #4
Beacon of light

He already bought her the house...and also one for her parents.
According to reports they both come from humble working class backgrounds...and he made it in the city against major odds.
He also reckons that he stayed with her for 15 years after the marriage disintegrated.......just for the children. He now thinks that this was a major mistake.
Old 07-03-2007, 19:38   #5
Beacon of light

In some respects I agree with you Grego......but, hell I would take 20 million and run......and have a very nice life.
Old 07-03-2007, 19:40   #6
I am Banned

with that money you can murder your wife and baffle a jury and still have change in the bank ask OJ simpson

hindsight is a wonderfull thing

he seems like a decent guy who has already done more than what most people would , my money is on the reason for the divorce is that his wife is a slutt and she wasnt raising teh kids but banging the pool man while he was at work
Old 07-03-2007, 19:41   #7
God Member

The houses that he bought will have been taken into consideration for the settlement, the fact that he stayed 15 years longer than he wanted to, why would anybody do that, think I'll have to read the full story.
Old 07-03-2007, 19:41   #8
Beacon of light

Yeah the lawyers will be on a very nice payday if the suit comes through......I think most times in a divorce settlement it is only the lawyers who win.
Old 07-03-2007, 19:42   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
In some respects I agree with you Grego......but, hell I would take 20 million and run......and have a very nice life.
Yes, I agree its more than anyone needs, maybe she also bitter, he's probably run off with a younger women.
Old 07-03-2007, 19:43   #10
Beacon of light

He says that he stayed for the benefit of the children.....until they were grown up.......he now has a new lady friend and it is this that has precipitated proceedings.......I'm not sure that he will want to rush into a marriage ceremony again......well, not without the benefit of pre-nuptual agreements anyway.
Old 07-03-2007, 19:44   #11
God Member

I would say that she also took the risk that he would go bankrupt just as much as he would be succesful so she is entitled. We don't know what hardships they did go through but they were a partnership in everything that happened from the minute they married till they were legally seperated. IMHO she's entitled to half of all assets accrued from the day of teh wedding to the day they were divorced.

It shouldn't matter if its 20p or 20 million. the value should not cloud the issue.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 19:45   #12
I am Banned

lol sounds like a severe case of jelousy on teh ex wifes part then
Old 07-03-2007, 19:48   #13
Beacon of light

Entwisi....that I expected from the ladies.......I expected the men to side with the guy. As I said in the first post to this thread......I half agree that she should get fair recompense......but I still think that I could live very well on 20 million........you want to be able to have a comfortable life after the man has walked away.....how much is 'comfortable'?
Old 07-03-2007, 19:49   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
He says that he stayed for the benefit of the children.....until they were grown up.......he now has a new lady friend and it is this that has precipitated proceedings.......I'm not sure that he will want to rush into a marriage ceremony again......well, not without the benefit of pre-nuptual agreements anyway.
I know he says he stayed for the benefit of the children but thats for his benefit too, I'm sure any parent given the chance would stay with their children, I still think she's entitled.
Old 07-03-2007, 19:52   #15
I am Banned

ok ok you lot have twisted my arm..

i would throw in a nice tv for her to watch as well

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..