Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-04-2007, 21:49   #1
Passed away 25-11-09

I Feel a Bit Guilty. Should I?

I went to the M & S superstore in Warrington today. I was returning a top I'd bought for £12 (which didn't fit) and I bought another for £15, a pair of shorts for £10, some underwear for £6, a vest top for £6 and a pair of sandals for £35. The assistant added it all up, on the till, and charged me £40. It wasn't until I got home that I realised I had been undercharged by £20.

Now if it had been the other way, and I'd been overcharged, I'd have been on the phone straight away and back in the store tomorrow. To my shame (well, a bit) I just felt rather pleased and a bit smug.

If I was undercharged in a small corner shop, struggling to survive, I'd go back and tell them they made a mistake. I'm not inclined to do the same with M & S. Am I a hypocrite or just morally corrupt? What would you do?
Accrington Web
Old 23-04-2007, 21:52   #2
God Member

Re: I Feel a Bit Guilty. Should I?

are you sure some of the items weren't discounted or did she miss putting some of them through the till??

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 21:55   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

westender sod the guilt,you got a RESULT.
Old 23-04-2007, 21:59   #4
God Member

If it makes you feel better, ring them up and tell them you think a mistake was made. Ask them what the best method of rectifying it is because you will have to travel 40 miles each way to sort it. They will just say don't bother and you will be cleared of all sins
Old 23-04-2007, 21:59   #5
God Member

Agree with what you say about if it had been a small corner shop , but not a multi-national corporation whos suppliers probably exploit third world sweat shop labor .
Write it off as a further example on declining standards in education, in the good old days a shop assistant would have been able to do the math in her head.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 22:01   #6

well honesty cost nothing but you have to live with it good look to you
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 22:04   #7
God Member

Inform them and maybe get vouchers for being honest whilst still keeping the £20.. am I living in a dream world?
Old 23-04-2007, 22:10   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Inform them and maybe get vouchers for being honest whilst still keeping the £20.. am I living in a dream world?
Yeh! cyfr you remind me of me when i was young.
Old 23-04-2007, 22:31   #9
Give, give, give member

Legally the law is on your side. Retailers can't recoup mistakes after they have made them, though some will try, especially if you paid by card, so keep an eye on your statements.

Enjoy your windfall.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 22:35   #10
white rabbits

nice one....worry about it next week.... although the ring them up thingy from lancs dave is the proper thing to do...
Old 23-04-2007, 22:38   #11
Resident Waffler

I would contact them and let them know. Anyone can make a mistake. It probably doesn't seem as important when it's a big retailer but I would till feel that I had something I wasn't entitled to.

Some people think that pilfering from a large store doesn't matter either as they can't see anyone really losing out but we all lose out because prices overall have to be increased to cover such losses.

The profits they make, sweatshop labour etc are a different subject. I just couldn't rest easy if I didn't let them know that I thought I'd been undercharged.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 22:39   #12

Give the money to charity ... or some of it. That way the money does more good than it would have in the pockets of M&S and you still get a little treat for yourself
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 22:49   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Give the money to charity ... or some of it. That way the money does more good than it would have in the pockets of M&S and you still get a little treat for yourself
See you still in Black Westender, so can now suscribe to AccyWeb and become a Green member; a good cause indeed ... we are waiting
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 22:53   #14
Give, give, give member

To assuage any guilty feeling you could always go and buy a jar of M & S pickled walnuts.

Prostate Cancer Charity: Marks and Spencer joins forces with charity
Tuesday, 06 Mar 2007 09:23
Marks & Spencer has joined forces with The Prostate Cancer Charity to help raise awareness of prostate cancer - a disease that kills one man in the UK every hour.

Throughout March, M&S customers will be able to pick up information about prostate cancer and help raise funds for the Charity by purchasing a blue, Real Man pin badge at over 400 M&S stores across the country in support of Prostate Cancer Awareness Week (19-25 March 2007).

Last edited by garinda; 23-04-2007 at 22:55.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 23:37   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I went to the M & S superstore in Warrington today. I was returning a top I'd bought for £12 (which didn't fit) and I bought another for £15, a pair of shorts for £10, some underwear for £6, a vest top for £6 and a pair of sandals for £35. The assistant added it all up, on the till, and charged me £40. It wasn't until I got home that I realised I had been undercharged by £20.

Now if it had been the other way, and I'd been overcharged, I'd have been on the phone straight away and back in the store tomorrow. To my shame (well, a bit) I just felt rather pleased and a bit smug.

If I was undercharged in a small corner shop, struggling to survive, I'd go back and tell them they made a mistake. I'm not inclined to do the same with M & S. Am I a hypocrite or just morally corrupt? What would you do?

make the most of it , im sure they wouldnt run after you if it had been the other way round....
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..