Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2007, 23:38   #46
Yank in King Art's Court!

Re: Assault

Back in my post (#24) I asked the following:

I'm curious, are there any/alot of self defense courses taught over there. Having a couple of Bruce Lee's kicking the crap out of these thugs might make em think twice!

I don't believe I received an answer but I remain curious on this.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2007, 00:07   #47
God Member

just read this and i am so glad you escaped with minor injuries cyfr although it should be none at all ..it makes my blood boil that you cant walk down the road without being abused /attacked .... as with other members whom have had the displeasure of this sort of thing (maybe not to your extent) its a damn disgrace that more is not done ..... i live away from accy / ossy now but it saddens me that it is becoming more frequent htere as with most places ....at least one of those horrible little scumbag thugs were caught ...
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 00:19   #48
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post

I'm curious, are there any/alot of self defense courses taught over there. Having a couple of Bruce Lee's kicking the crap out of these thugs might make em think twice!

Brian
Any martial artist will tell you that the best way to win a fight is to not be in it! Second is, if in one, get out of it. Cyfr did the right thing. I'm a trained kickboxer and I would have done the same as he did. I say well done for your quick thinking Cyfr and making the right choice. Many people would freeze up and have been beaten!

Last edited by piltymon; 29-06-2007 at 00:25. Reason: speelling!
piltymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 00:59   #49
God Member

Martial arts don't tend to be about fighting and you can actually be kicked out from a society if you use the training unwisely but actual self defence classes are very useful.

I think on the whole Accrington (and districts ) is very safe to walk around at night and its not too common that racial attacks like these occur.

As a victim of an attack myself I have to say that self defence might seem worthwhile but its not always useless, I got grabbed from behind and pinned down and there is nothing I could've done, as although I knew they had been following me and shouting stuff at me, I really didn't expect it to happen on a main road. I think most people tend to think the best before getting ready to have to defend themselves against an attack.

I knew the main girls name and address and everything but I was advised not to take it any further as it was likely it wouldn't be taken far enough and may have led to more trouble so I didnt bother. I see the girls on their own sometimes as I easily recognised a few of them and it is so tempting to say something to them and make them feel as small as they made me feel but I think they feel worse with the silence I give them, like I couldn't care.

Giving them recognition doesn't always make them feel sorry for what they did.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 01:09   #50
I am Banned

Knowing martial arts is ALWAYS a good defence! It's always better to run away than to be beaten however. My opinion is that martial arts training is both good for your health because of the exercise and, as a last resort, good for defence. Bruce Lee is only in the movies though! Escape and call the police is the best advice. That is what Cyfr did and I applaud his actions.
piltymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 09:36   #51
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post

Brian

I think there's a difference between self defence classes and martial arts courses. Yes there are martial arts courses and like others have said you are taught in them not to use the techniques you learn as a means of street fighting. I know a few people who attend such groups and have attained different levels of grading including black belt but they would only ever use martial arts as a last resort.

There is the other problem too if you retaliate you are also likey to end up being done for assault.

We are always told that the best form of defence is avoidance. Even those handbag sprays can get you into trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
As a victim of an attack myself I have to say that self defence might seem worthwhile but its not always useless, I got grabbed from behind and pinned down and there is nothing I could've done, as although I knew they had been following me and shouting stuff at me, I really didn't expect it to happen on a main road. I think most people tend to think the best before getting ready to have to defend themselves against an attack.

I knew the main girls name and address and everything but I was advised not to take it any further as it was likely it wouldn't be taken far enough and may have led to more trouble so I didnt bother. I see the girls on their own sometimes as I easily recognised a few of them and it is so tempting to say something to them and make them feel as small as they made me feel but I think they feel worse with the silence I give them, like I couldn't care.
A similar thing happened to my daughter. The police advised her not to pursue it because they said it would probably only end up worse off for us. Not only would she probably get attacked by the same person again, or by friends of that person but we could well end up with the windows being smashed and graffiti daubed on our house.

It is awful that people should be allowed to get away with things like this though for fear of retaliation.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 11:55   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piltymon View Post
Knowing martial arts is ALWAYS a good defence! It's always better to run away than to be beaten however. My opinion is that martial arts training is both good for your health because of the exercise and, as a last resort, good for defence. Bruce Lee is only in the movies though! Escape and call the police is the best advice. That is what Cyfr did and I applaud his actions.
Maybe its diffierent now. I had a friend tell me about it because she did kung fu or something and she said even using it for self defence has to be avoided if possible.

Its called Martial ARTS for a reason much greater than self defence in my opinion and shouldn't be used whenever you can.
Self defence classes are just basic moves to get yourself out of certain grips and get yourself out of the situation. Martial arts in my opinion is much different and is taught for different reasons.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 19:40   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

There is the other problem too if you retaliate you are also likey to end up being done for assault.

We are always told that the best form of defence is avoidance. Even those handbag sprays can get you into trouble.

A similar thing happened to my daughter. The police advised her not to pursue it because they said it would probably only end up worse off for us. Not only would she probably get attacked by the same person again, or by friends of that person but we could well end up with the windows being smashed and graffiti daubed on our house.

It is awful that people should be allowed to get away with things like this though for fear of retaliation.
And this is the problem. I think Cyfr did the right thing in trying to get away from the scene. In his case, it was successful. But if it doesn't work, (and there are several assailants), what options do you have? You should be able to fight back with superior force. And this notion of not pursuing prosecution for fear of retaliation is insane and just invites more violence.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 21:56   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
And this is the problem. I think Cyfr did the right thing in trying to get away from the scene. In his case, it was successful. But if it doesn't work, (and there are several assailants), what options do you have? You should be able to fight back with superior force. And this notion of not pursuing prosecution for fear of retaliation is insane and just invites more violence.
But if you are the one facing the reality of retaliation it isnt insane at all surely. It is abhorrent but you cant condemn someone who is too scared to come forward or to sacred to testify- after all what support would they receive.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 21:59   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
But if you are the one facing the reality of retaliation it isnt insane at all surely. It is abhorrent but you cant condemn someone who is too scared to come forward or to sacred to testify- after all what support would they receive.
The CPS offer victim support but having never used it I wouldn't be able to comment as to how effective it is.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 22:02   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
The CPS offer victim support but having never used it I wouldn't be able to comment as to how effective it is.
Its not really the CPS but the Victim and Witness Care Units that provide this- the problem with that however is that their central remit is to 'secure conviction'- ie to ensure that the victim/witness is sufficiently supported to enable them to testify and thereby for justice to be served. But and lets face it it is a big but- what about fater court? Post sentence?
Old 29-06-2007, 22:07   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Its not really the CPS but the Victim and Witness Care Units that provide this- the problem with that however is that their central remit is to 'secure conviction'- ie to ensure that the victim/witness is sufficiently supported to enable them to testify and thereby for justice to be served. But and lets face it it is a big but- what about fater court? Post sentence?
If the situation was bad you might be put on witness protection.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 22:13   #58

Yes but it would have to be VERY bad. Bear in mind that Police reported crime last year was 5.3 million but the British Crime Survey estimates 10 million offences were committed- one hell of a lot is going unreported. Part of the reason for this is the fear of reporting, the belief that 'nothing gets done anyway and varying degrees of tolerance for crimianl activity in varying communities.
Old 29-06-2007, 22:14   #59
Resident Waffler

It was the police who actually advised my daughter not to pursue her complaint as there was nothing they could do to protect us from a vindictive backlash.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 23:44   #60
God Member

Threats of violence can cause almost as much distress as actual violence.
Five years ago I presented documentary evidence of threats against me to the police and hurredly left the country for 3 weeks.
On my return I was dismayed that they had done nothing about it, and the threats continued, so lived fearfully for a further 3 months until the police issued them with a warning, and they only did that after I told them I was going to 'arm myself'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..