Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 13:57   #61
Senior Member+

Re: favourite film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
I think you've won that argument glasgow guy, that was well reseached and well delivered, karma on it's way 'if it lets me'. No disrespect liam but I'd never argue Scotish history with a 'Glasgowguy'

thanks ian but I have to pay thanks to the history lessons at school...thats all we got for years and I really enjoyed it at the time..which is why I have such a dislike for the film - cos its all wrong..I even know that some scottish historians walked off the set of the film when it was being made due to the fact it was a load of tosh..
you can even look at the film about the secret code the germans couldnt unlock...& pearl harbour...all glamourized by the u.s film idiots and all had the real history behind each story re-written to suit the americans..as in they won/ they had the idea...
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2007, 14:16   #62
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
why do people always say 'looks like you won that argument' i aint arguing im having a discussion, i enjoyed reading the proper history behind the film, enlightening read.
I did say no disrespect Liam, and I meant none, consider it a history lesson co/ glasgowguy. What did you think of the film 'Philadelphia' starring Tom Hanks.?
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 14:19   #63

i've seen it once, cant really remember the story, does'nt he get fired because he's gay then sue's them but die's in the trial? that true or glorified aswell?
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 14:33   #64
Senior Member+

Was Braveheart ever meant to be historically accurate? For Hollywood (and most other film producing industries) the main aim is to make money. They never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

To be fair, I can understand why people find films such as Braveheart cringe worthy, but if I wanted truth and accuracy I wouldn't be watching a commercial film for it.
Old 07-08-2007, 14:46   #65
Give, give, give member

Let's face it, Hollywood has never been noted for it's historical accuracy.

In 1939 it cast Bette Davis as Elizabeth I and Errol Flynn as Essex, in The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 17:01   #66
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Was Braveheart ever meant to be historically accurate? For Hollywood (and most other film producing industries) the main aim is to make money. They never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

To be fair, I can understand why people find films such as Braveheart cringe worthy, but if I wanted truth and accuracy I wouldn't be watching a commercial film for it.

quite true....have a read at this to see how far the film really was from the truth..

Braveheart on the Internet
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 17:28   #67

[quote=Liam;456386]the title isn't just asking your favourite film, well it is but have you ever watched a film and ever got goosebumps and felt felt so passionate about watching it? like all the hairs on your neck stand on end?

I remember watching 'The Exorcist' for the 1st time when I was about 15, absolutely crapped myself, but it certainly made it's impression on me. Have watched it loads of times since but it appears relatively tame now in this day and age.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 21:28   #68
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
i've seen it once, cant really remember the story, does'nt he get fired because he's gay then sue's them but die's in the trial? that true or glorified aswell?
Maybe a half truth or a hypothetical scenario, but a tear jerker for me. I am not gay in the sense of the word's meaning, but am not without feelings, the music itself was enough, when played with the video/movie clips of his childhood were very moving. I rate this film as the best of it's subject/type I have ever seen.
How could the corporate partners headhunt him as the best of the 'crop' and then discard him as incompetent when he contracted AIDS
Old 07-08-2007, 21:32   #69

My two favourite films are'nt love weepies but they made me use a box of tissues. Deer Hunter and Salvadore, very true and very moving.
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 21:45   #70
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazfury1 View Post
My two favourite films are'nt love weepies but they made me use a box of tissues. Deer Hunter and Salvadore, very true and very moving.
The Deer Hunter was probably the first anti Vietnam war film to be shown. Salvadore I may have or may not?, a brief description of the plot would be appreciated thank's.
Old 07-08-2007, 21:50   #71
God Member

two movies which are great for a double header are 'Judgement at Nuremburg' and the recent German movie 'Downfall'

others which make good back to back viewing are ' Amile' and 'A very long Engagement ' (good for a inexpensive romantic evening in )

also 'Lawrence of Arabia' and 'Joyuex Noel'

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 22:03   #72

Salvadore stars James Woods as a war journalist his best mate is a war photographer who films the atrocities of the war. He is killed filming, but manages to pass the film on so that the world can see what is going on. James Wood falls for a local girl and tries to smuggle her out of Salvadore but she is taken off the bus by officials and disappears. The character played by james Woods spent years searching for her. I have never been able to find out if he ever found her again. A true and brilliant , if harrowing film.
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 22:18   #73
Accy Goddess

Another film that made me cry buckets was soldier blue. An oldie but certainly a Goody.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:07   #74
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazfury1 View Post
Salvadore stars James Woods as a war journalist his best mate is a war photographer who films the atrocities of the war. He is killed filming, but manages to pass the film on so that the world can see what is going on. James Wood falls for a local girl and tries to smuggle her out of Salvadore but she is taken off the bus by officials and disappears. The character played by james Woods spent years searching for her. I have never been able to find out if he ever found her again. A true and brilliant , if harrowing film.
Yes I remember the film, one that really requires another viewing, do not remember if they were reunited, this was based on truth as you say very harrowing.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:41   #75
God Member

ok, I know the thread is supposed to be about your favourite film/movie, so forgive the wander with this review of a current movie

I've just spent 116 minutes watching a DVD movie called '300 ' a remake I suppose of the Richard Egan 1960s film ' 300 Spartans ' .
Thankfully I missed this remake when it played on the big screens...........what to say .........if you are a teenage boy who likes 'gladiator' movies you and your buddies will love this, if you are a grown-up hopefully you will see this piece of garbage as the biggest piece of tripe ever put on celluloid since John Wayne appeared and produced the Vietnam war movie 'the Green Berets' .
If there was a Leni Riefenstahl Oscar award for best piece of political propaganda this would win hands down . This nothing more than a subliminal recruiting ad. for the U S armed services designed to boost intake of immpresionable disadvantaged youth during the 'War on Terror'

ps apologies for the mixed usage of 'film' and 'movie' my definition is ...if its cr*p and made in the US its a movie , if made anywhere else and has some artistic merit its a film
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..