Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007, 17:33   #31
God Member

Re: Jail 'Infested With Rats And Cockroaches'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I've woken up in worst places.
Me too

At the end of the day if they had not committed the crime they would not be there in the first place. They ignored the human rights of their victims so to hell with their human rights. Some in the pokey seem to be a damned site better of than law abiders in the outside world.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-08-2007, 20:00   #32
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Jail 'Infested With Rats And Cockroaches'

So it costs £22,778 to keep a prisoner banged up and they reckon it is £2,000 too low.

Now let me see how much does a pensioner get to live er sorry I mean exist on? Even if you take into account rent and Council Tax paid for, it is still way, way below what is spent on a pensioner. And the pensioner has to buy food and pay for energy and water. Never mind the pensioner what about those workers who only get paid the basic minimum if they are fortunate to actually have a job. Then there are those who are unemployed but are desperate for work and can’t find any.

When an accused is found to be guilty and sent down s/he loses all human rights, which is not the same as humane rights. Much of the squalor is self inflicted.
Old 09-08-2007, 20:14   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
So it costs £22,778 to keep a prisoner banged up and they reckon it is £2,000 too low.

Now let me see how much does a pensioner get to live er sorry I mean exist on? Even if you take into account rent and Council Tax paid for, it is still way, way below what is spent on a pensioner. And the pensioner has to buy food and pay for energy and water. Never mind the pensioner what about those workers who only get paid the basic minimum if they are fortunate to actually have a job. Then there are those who are unemployed but are desperate for work and can’t find any.

When an accused is found to be guilty and sent down s/he loses all human rights, which is not the same as humane rights. Much of the squalor is self inflicted.
I think a good proportion of the costs will be down to employing security staff to guard the prisoners...which most pensioners don't need.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 20:51   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Then there are those who are unemployed but are desperate for work and can’t find any.
Such as Prison Officers if there wasn't any prisoners. Actually, when you put it that way, prison inmates are actually doing a good public service.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:14   #35
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

they should shove em all back in the dungeons and chain the buggers up!!
Old 10-08-2007, 13:27   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
they should shove em all back in the dungeons and chain the buggers up!!
They might be inclined to enjoy that so dont forget rancid water and stale mouldey bread. If we dont get tough soon they will have more rights freedoms living conditions etc than we as law abiders do.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 10-08-2007, 14:00   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

seems strange to me how some folk seem more concerned with prisoners well-being than pensioners.
Old 10-08-2007, 14:25   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
seems strange to me how some folk seem more concerned with prisoners well-being than pensioners.
Its the screwed up world that we sadly have created. A pensioner is worth at least 10 of those locked up.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 10-08-2007, 16:05   #39

Pentonville is a local prison, which means it houses both remand and sentenced prisoners. Therefore, at any one time, there will be prisoners who have committed petty crime and prisoners who have committed very serious crime. Also, bear in mind that if a prison is infested with rats, mice and cockroaches, it's not just the prisoners who are affected. It's the staff too, and as someone who works for the Prison Service, it's not acceptable that a prison should not be a clean and hygienic environment.
By the way, dramatistical is not a word!

Stanleybabe
Old 10-08-2007, 16:14   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

you a screw or a lag stanleybabe? either way its good to have a perspective from the inside,so to speak!
Old 10-08-2007, 16:34   #41
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Jail 'Infested With Rats And Cockroaches'

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think a good proportion of the costs will be down to employing security staff to guard the prisoners...which most pensioners don't need.
I’m sure it will be but even if half the £22k is down to employing the screws etc it still leaves more than what a pensioner gets.

It wouldn’t surprise me to discover that some members of the armed forces get paid less than what is spent on keeping a villain in jail. And they put their own lives on the line.
Old 10-08-2007, 16:37   #42
God Member

You still working in the same dump stanleybabe or moved? although they where working on doing it up inside of it.. probably still are.
Old 10-08-2007, 17:21   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
You still working in the same dump stanleybabe or moved? although they where working on doing it up inside of it.. probably still are.
I've moved, Kipax. Now out in the countryside rather than a claustrophobic Victorian jail. See ya at Wycombe.

Stanleybabe
Old 10-08-2007, 18:42   #44

If they do the crime they do there time in the grine.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 19:34   #45
God Member

Same old "let em rot.. give them the birch" brigade answering this post,It's all very well to say these people (the prisoners) don't deserve anything better, but law abiding tax paying people work in the same place.. I'm sure they could do without rat's and roaches!!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..