Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 10:18   #1
God Member

Being a northern lass :p

The only mild form of patriotism type behaviour I conform with is being proud of being from the north rather than the south. Being at uni with alot of southerners who have never heard of oswaldtwistle, I always give a little talk about the place, and I mention the pear drop every time, like I'm really very proud of the mouldy big lump of sugar. Its quite depressing but I enjoy metioning it at the same time.

Well anyway, what do you think about being from the north, and if anyone has a picture of the giant pear drop I'd love to see it so I can show my friends my fabulous towns landmark
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-01-2008, 12:11   #2

Re: Being a northern lass :p

I dont think there is anything wrong with a bit of patriotism when it is employed in the right spirit - its when patriotism goes to extremes that you have the problems. Nonetheless, I always try to have a bit of light banter with a few friends of mine who hail from the south. The North has plenty to be proud of.

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:13   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSz View Post
I dont think there is anything wrong with a bit of patriotism when it is employed in the right spirit - its when patriotism goes to extremes that you have the problems. Nonetheless, I always try to have a bit of light banter with a few friends of mine who hail from the south. The North has plenty to be proud of.
I live next door to lads from Yorkshire aswell, they go on about how better they are than lancashire because of the roses and rugby and all that rubbish.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:20   #4

Hang on a minute....the House of Lancaster emerged victorious over the House of York, meaning Lancaster became the Royal house? (or so I remember from those history lessons long ago!)

So are you never tempted to have a childish moment with your Yorkshire neighbours along the lines of yelling "we won, we won, ner ner ner ner ner!"

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
Old 09-01-2008, 12:21   #5
God Member

Quote:
Hang on a minute....the House of Lancaster emerged victorious over the House of York, meaning Lancaster became the Royal house? (or so I remember from those history lessons long ago!)

So are you never tempted to have a childish moment with your Yorkshire neighbours along the lines of yelling "we won, we won, ner ner ner ner ner!"
They're living in Lancaster, why? Because Yorkshire is inferior and they know it. Thats enough satisfaction for me

I'm going home now to cook my mince and apple!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:44   #6
Resident Waffler

I don't think you're allowed to photograph that peardrop.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 16:47   #7
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

i went in ossy mills the other week and it was free to go in the sweet factory, but they wernt making out, it was all closed, but i did managed to see this pear drop and i could have easily took a photo there was nobody about.
Old 09-01-2008, 18:00   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I don't think you're allowed to photograph that peardrop.
Will ask tomorrow Willow and take my new digi with me, even though haven't sorted how to get photos on file as yet ! Ok, know I'm a bit thick. Sure there are some photos somewhere in their Marketing Department. Will revert.

Would be nonsense not to allow it to be put on a website like this .. good publicity and all that.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 22:38   #9

sounds like a solution to me. I dont even know what this peardrop is....will have to wait for the photos!!

Cos it rocks!!!

Old 09-01-2008, 22:42   #10

Quote:
sounds like a solution to me. I dont even know what this peardrop is....will have to wait for the photos!!
You are not on your own, I have been wondering what the peardrop thing was myself
Old 09-01-2008, 23:05   #11

Found a pic on on the internet of the peardrop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peardrop.jpg (19.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 10-01-2008, 00:26   #12

thank you very much!! Thought I was missing a major monument or something, whilst I always walk round with my eyes open, thought I might have been missing something obvious there!

Cos it rocks!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 03:31   #13
God Member

The only banter we have is how I say poor and coke. I don't pronounce them properly. Or corpse. I think I have trouble with o's
Old 10-01-2008, 06:47   #14
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Will ask tomorrow Willow and take my new digi with me, even though haven't sorted how to get photos on file as yet ! Ok, know I'm a bit thick. Sure there are some photos somewhere in their Marketing Department. Will revert.

Would be nonsense not to allow it to be put on a website like this .. good publicity and all that.
It was quite a few years ago when I wanted to photograph it and was told I couldn't because then people wouldn't pay to go in to see it. Maybe the novelty has worn off now. I think there was only an 'artist's impression' in the publicity material at the time.

Last time I saw it it looked a bit manky as if it had been slowly dissolving.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:55   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
The only banter we have is how I say poor and coke. I don't pronounce them properly. Or corpse. I think I have trouble with o's
You don't speak proper anyhow,

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..