Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 11:12   #1
Resident Waffler

German history between the wars

I was almost tempted to post this in Aleks's thread where he is selling a copy of Mein Kampf but it would have been too much of a thread hijack so I decided to start a whole new topic.

Hopefully you'll see this Aleks and having read Mein Kampf you may have some views on the matter.

It strikes me as odd how we so readily deplore Germany for invading Poland but very little is said (perhaps even less known) in this country about the French invasion of German territory between the wars.

How much did France's invasion of Bavaria in 1923 have a bearing on Hitler's subsequent actions? What was the aim? Would Bavaria have been an independant country or would it have become part of France?

It sort of puts the German occupation of France during WWII in a different light when you look at it from the point of view of things which transpired between the wars.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-01-2008, 11:44   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: German history between the wars

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I didn't know the French invaded Bavaria in 1923, I always thought it was the coal rich region the Ruhr.(?)

In my opinion the draconian demands of the Treaty of Versailles, resulting in hyperinflation, and a poor national self image, created an ideal breeding ground for extremist parties. Though it was down to chance as to who, the left or the right, who would eventually seize power.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:42   #3
Resident Waffler

You may well be right - my memory plays silly tricks on me. I should maybe have a bit of a Google. I thought that Bavaria was potentially going to break away from Germany and the French invasion played a part. I may have got my recollecting wires crossed. Thing is though, whichever bit it was which France fancied, we don't tend to hear about 'naughty France' creeping into other people's territory. We just tend to get the 'Germany was at it again' part.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:50   #4
Give, give, give member

Hitler tried, and failed, to grab power in Bavaria in 1923, in the failed Beer Hall Putsch.

Perhaps you were thinking of that.

Old 08-01-2008, 13:03   #5
Resident Waffler

Was that when he was imprisoned?

Old 08-01-2008, 14:26   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Was that when he was imprisoned?

Yes, and whilst imprisoned wrote Mein Kampf.

I wrote the dissertation for my degree on the Weimar Republic, as seen through the works of Englishman Christopher Irsherwood. It was a fascinating time in history, as Germany for the first three decades of the twentieth century, had been one of the most liberal and free thinking countries in Europe, yet so easily turned to extremist politics, in my opinion because of the measures introduced by the Treaty of Versialles.

I had a wonderful summer in 1985, retracing Isherwood's journey. What I found saddest, fifty years on, and post-Nazi atocities, was how quickly seemingly liberal Germans were so racist towards the sizable Turkish community living there.

Old 08-01-2008, 17:16   #7
God Member

All this stuff is really interesting to me, just a pity I don't have any time to do any personal reading & research with exams just around the corner. Really wish I'd have taken History at A-level. One day I'll come back to it.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 17:38   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I had a wonderful summer in 1985, retracing Isherwood's journey. What I found saddest, fifty years on, and post-Nazi atocities, was how quickly seemingly liberal Germans were so racist towards the sizable Turkish community living there.
I spend a couple of weeks in Germany every year and would disagree with your comment about Germans having a racist attitude towards the Turks , what I think you will find is a similar attitude to what some of the Brits have with the asian community in the UK ......"Why can't they just live the way we do" , a feeling of having their native culture overwhelmed .
Considering that Germany lost her overseas colonies at the end of WW1 most Germans now find 'people of colour' quite exotic and more of a curiosity , after having 50 odd years of liberal propaganda stuffed down their throats and being told how bad Germans are , three generations have grown up with a bit of a guilt complex about race issues . Any right wing (fascist) race problems are mainly confined to the former DDR states in the eastern parts where the NPD has it most support ,
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 23:46   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
I spend a couple of weeks in Germany every year and would disagree with your comment about Germans having a racist attitude towards the Turks , what I think you will find is a similar attitude to what some of the Brits have with the asian community in the UK ......"Why can't they just live the way we do" , a feeling of having their native culture overwhelmed .
Considering that Germany lost her overseas colonies at the end of WW1 most Germans now find 'people of colour' quite exotic and more of a curiosity , after having 50 odd years of liberal propaganda stuffed down their throats and being told how bad Germans are , three generations have grown up with a bit of a guilt complex about race issues . Any right wing (fascist) race problems are mainly confined to the former DDR states in the eastern parts where the NPD has it most support ,
Ok, it wasn't blatant racism. I was just suprised at the attitude of the people I met, who on the whole, were very liberal. I was working for a fashion magazine, for goodness sake!

At that time I would have been offended by anyone talking in derogatory terms about British Asians in the UK, ie: calling them by insulting names, over here stealing our jobs, benefiting from our welfare state, etc. They're the sort of attitudes I was suprised to find in Germany, regarding the Turkish community.

Old 14-01-2008, 16:58   #10
Senior Member+

Did you know that Hitler's real name was SCHICKELGRUBER. And after 1st World War Hitler spent some time in a mental hospital! Oh yes!

Brain-Mind.com
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..