View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 17:38   #8
steeljack
God Member

Re: German history between the wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I had a wonderful summer in 1985, retracing Isherwood's journey. What I found saddest, fifty years on, and post-Nazi atocities, was how quickly seemingly liberal Germans were so racist towards the sizable Turkish community living there.
I spend a couple of weeks in Germany every year and would disagree with your comment about Germans having a racist attitude towards the Turks , what I think you will find is a similar attitude to what some of the Brits have with the asian community in the UK ......"Why can't they just live the way we do" , a feeling of having their native culture overwhelmed .
Considering that Germany lost her overseas colonies at the end of WW1 most Germans now find 'people of colour' quite exotic and more of a curiosity , after having 50 odd years of liberal propaganda stuffed down their throats and being told how bad Germans are , three generations have grown up with a bit of a guilt complex about race issues . Any right wing (fascist) race problems are mainly confined to the former DDR states in the eastern parts where the NPD has it most support ,
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote