Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 15:21   #1
Junior Member+

Holidaying in England

I love where I live. I also like travelling abroad but I'm wondering if I've missed out a bit with what's on offer in England.

I've barely been south of the Midlands! Without being anti-southerners I read a post on the Enjoy England forum about Bournemouth I was thinking to take my girlfriend down there for a few days over Easter. I don't know much at all about Dorset, but am drawn to visiting the New Forest.

It's a long way to drive but if we went for 4 or 5 days then would be worth it. Either that or take the train. What do you think? Bit too ambitious?
a_stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2008, 15:26   #2
God Member

Re: Holidaying in England

It is a long time since I went to Bournemouth, but recall that it was a bit like Scarborough without hills.

Eastbourne and Isle of Wight are for geriatrics -so avoid them.

Any English resort is going to be grim for a visit any time before easter and maybe even then unless we get an early warm spring.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 15:28   #3
God Member

Skegness is my favourite, though I haven't been for ages. Whats wrong with Blackpool? I keep asking my boyfriend to take me to blackpool but I got a swift no he offered to take me to Ireland but its just not the same is it?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 15:39   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Skegness is my favourite, though I haven't been for ages. Whats wrong with Blackpool? I keep asking my boyfriend to take me to blackpool but I got a swift no he offered to take me to Ireland but its just not the same is it?
I have heard that Dublin is a lively place to visit and has plenty of classy shops
Old 05-02-2008, 15:43   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have heard that Dublin is a lively place to visit and has plenty of classy shops
We werent going to Dublin, we were going to somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Old 05-02-2008, 15:43   #6
Beacon of light

Well, I am off to the Isle of wight in a couple of weeks, and was there this time last year. The days were cold but sunny and bright.......and yes there are a lot of the older clientele about, but that does not detract from the beauty of the place.
At least these geriatrics(as you call them) are not lager louts and respect their surroundings...at least that has been my experience of them anyway.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 15:45   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well, I am off to the Isle of wight in a couple of weeks, and was there this time last year. The days were cold but sunny and bright.......and yes there are a lot of the older clientele about, but that does not detract from the beauty of the place.
At least these geriatrics(as you call them) are not lager louts and respect their surroundings...at least that has been my experience of them anyway.
Whats a geriatric?
Old 05-02-2008, 15:46   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I went 2 years ago - there were coachloads of oldies everywhere you went
and I was in one of them
Old 05-02-2008, 16:00   #9
Passed away 25-11-09

South of the Midlands but to the West you've got South Wales. The Gower peninsula has beautiful scenery and good beaches. Across the Severn there's Somerset - Weston-Super-Mare - where you can (or you could when I was last there) take your car on the beach like at Southport.

Devon is very nice, Exeter is an attractive town and there are some lovely seaside places. Cornwall is the IN place, these days, and it is lovely. I last went to Bournmouth about 20 years ago and enjoyed it immensely. What all these places have is warmer weather, generally, than we get in the North West.

Nice coastline all the way round Kent and Sussex and then into East Anglia you've got good beaches and nice flat countryside.

There's loads to see. Stick a pin in the map and go for it.
Old 05-02-2008, 16:06   #10

pontins in april prstatyn country and western festervil for one week
Old 05-02-2008, 16:06   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_stanley View Post
Without being anti-southerners
I definately wont be anti-southerners......
If you dont mind travelling for a bit longer than 5 hours i highly recommend Kent-but i would wait until after Easter,we are going before but were only there for one attraction,our new nephew.
The Kent coast is gorgeous-as much as i love Blackpool (and i really do),its not a patch on southern beaches-although has better arcades.
It really depends on how you want to spend your holiday though-are you after particular tourist attraction/historical stuff or chill out time?

The only downside is it costs MORE to stay in England than to go abroad these days

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 16:08   #12
God Member

i'll probably just be going on my usual jaunts up and down the country
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 16:08   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Newquay takes some beating, more so if yer under 50, great beaches, great pubs n nightlife,surfing, loads of places handy to visit, have done most of southern end of britain, including bournemouth n newquay wins by a mile for me.
Old 05-02-2008, 17:02   #14
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Whats a geriatric?
I can't believe you asked that.

Geriatric is an old fashioned term for someone who is elderly.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 17:08   #15
Resting in Peace

One of my favourits is Great Yarmouth, because its flat, a bit lke Blackpool, only clean Torquay aint bad either but its a long time since I've been. I did have an advantage in the travel stakes as I used to travel the length and breadth of the county, including Scotland, with my work, but its not quite the same as being on holiday, although you do get to see a lot of the country side
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..