Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 17:14   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Holidaying in England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I can't believe you asked that.

Geriatric is an old fashioned term for someone who is elderly.
If you dont ask,you will never know!!!!

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2008, 17:16   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_stanley View Post
I love where I live. I also like travelling abroad but I'm wondering if I've missed out a bit with what's on offer in England.

I've barely been south of the Midlands! Without being anti-southerners I read a post on the Enjoy England forum about Bournemouth I was thinking to take my girlfriend down there for a few days over Easter. I don't know much at all about Dorset, but am drawn to visiting the New Forest.

It's a long way to drive but if we went for 4 or 5 days then would be worth it. Either that or take the train. What do you think? Bit too ambitious?
The new forest is lovely, we go every year usually to calshot spit as knowone is usually there, we have family in southampton , we tend to go down 2 times a year, if your driving i would say visit most of the south coast whilst your there, you can fit alot in in 5 days
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 18:33   #18

Talking Re: Holidaying in England

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Whats a geriatric?

Its a German footballer who scores 3 goals..................
Old 05-02-2008, 19:00   #19
Senior Member+

Go to Scotland ! Go to the Isle of Bute! It's a wonderful place with loads to see; you could get a B&B and do a bit of Island hopping but there is enough on Bute to fill a long weekend. The scenery,the people and Mount Stuart House make it well worth the long drive up !
Old 05-02-2008, 19:03   #20
Senior Member+

angelsey any time of the year nice quite roads
warm climate and at a pinch you could say its over sea

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 20:26   #21
God Member

There must be lots of great places to visit in England. Millions of people from all over the world make England their tourist destination; so there must be something to see. I decided a few years ago to take all my vacations at home. (Of course, Canada is a little bigger, but this is not a size thing). Just got back from the great povince of Nova Scotia, visiting friends in the beautiful city of Halifax. Staying at home helps the economy too.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 21:28   #22
Resting in Peace

The whole of the Uk is beautiful, and Dorset no exception. Try and stay somewhere like Christchurch, that gives you access to the New Forest and Bournemouth. Driving ? Piece of Cake.M65,M6,M40,A34,M3, etc., .. no problems . don't be a whimp .. done it there and back many times in a day.

Northumbria is exceptional too, and the secret of the British Isles. Whatever, you can't go wrong in your home country. Depends what you like ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 21:31   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
The whole of the Uk is beautiful, and Dorset no exception. Try and stay somewhere like Christchurch, that gives you access to the New Forest and Bournemouth. Driving ? Piece of Cake.M65,M6,M40,A34,M3, etc., .. no problems . don't be a whimp .. done it there and back many times in a day.

Northumbria is exceptional too, and the secret of the British Isles. Whatever, you can't go wrong in your home country. Depends what you like ?
I agree 100% ... you can't go wrong in your own country ... damn those people from Clayton are smart.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:52   #24
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
South of the Midlands but to the West you've got South Wales. The Gower peninsula has beautiful scenery and good beaches. Across the Severn there's Somerset - Weston-Super-Mare - where you can (or you could when I was last there) take your car on the beach like at Southport.

Devon is very nice, Exeter is an attractive town and there are some lovely seaside places. Cornwall is the IN place, these days, and it is lovely. I last went to Bournmouth about 20 years ago and enjoyed it immensely. What all these places have is warmer weather, generally, than we get in the North West.

Nice coastline all the way round Kent and Sussex and then into East Anglia you've got good beaches and nice flat countryside.

There's loads to see. Stick a pin in the map and go for it.

Thanks so much to everyone for some great advice on places to visit. We're thinking now to take in Dorset and Devon over the course of a week down on the south coast. Looking to stay in a couple of B&Bs and explore as much as we can.

Will definitely check out the East coast (Norfolk Broads), Sussex and Kent next time though as there are some truly beautiful spots to visit.
a_stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:32   #25
Beacon of light

I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Just give Porlock Hill a miss.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:53   #26
God Member

so is it wrong to call someone old a geriatric? are elderly people homes geriatric homes then? why have I never seen the term used in a nice way even though it sounds like a medical type of word?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 13:27   #27
God Member

I just means old - but tends to be applied to the VERY old
What you consider 'old' tends to be influenced by how old you are yourself
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 13:43   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I just means old - but tends to be applied to the VERY old
What you consider 'old' tends to be influenced by how old you are yourself
Ah ok. I think old is 70+.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 13:49   #29
Beacon of light

I don't think even old people are called Geriatrics in medical terms any more...it is seen as somewhat derogatory......nowadays this branch of care is called Elderly Medicine.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 13:57   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't think even old people are called Geriatrics in medical terms any more...it is seen as somewhat derogatory......nowadays this branch of care is called Elderly Medicine.
Very PC
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..