Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: £2 chucks
Yes please!!! 20 41.67%
urrggghh, no thanks! 28 58.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-08-2010, 11:14   #166
Resting in Peace

Re: £2 chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
I would raid a chicken coop but there aint any near me. besides I would get caught.
Foxes don't
Old 29-08-2010, 11:30   #167
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Foxes don't
Now how do you train a fox to do your bidding?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 11:56   #168
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Now how do you train a fox to do your bidding?
Start very young
Old 29-08-2010, 16:40   #169
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have been there as well, and when that is the place you live, I am afraid you don't have the luxury about worrying about the provenance of your food...this is especially so when you have young, hungry mouths to feed.
You buy what you can afford, cook it slowly and waste nothing.
Many pensioners grew up in this kind of environment, and through no fault of their own, are back there again.
I can see a time coming where proper home cooking makes a return to form and reconstituted rubbish from the likes of McDonalds is eschewed in favour of proper meat. Home cooking is also a damn sight cheaper.

Those of us in terraced areas only need take a glance at the chimney stacks in winter to realise that solid fuel fires are making a comeback. This is partially to do with the fact that they're far more homely than a gas fire but I suspect (as is the case in the drawing room at Rishton Towers) there is an element of prudence in there as well.

My fuel bills have dropped dramatically since the switch to smokeless fuel.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 16:42   #170
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
McDonalds is eschewed in favour of proper meat.

Old 29-08-2010, 16:45   #171
Beacon of light

I have to say that I am one of the old school when it comes to cooking. I make meals from scratch using fresh ingredients where possible...though I do resort to some frozen veg at times......I use up left-overs.....but I won't go back to coal fires.
They are hard work......all that riddling and poking...and fetching buckets of coal down the backyard in the cold and rain isn't my bag at all.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 16:46   #172
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
QUIET woman!!!!

Old 29-08-2010, 16:47   #173
God Member

i didn't say a word, i was merely pointing out that i have never heard that word before
Old 29-08-2010, 16:48   #174
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have to say that I am one of the old school when it comes to cooking. I make meals from scratch using fresh ingredients where possible...though I do resort to some frozen veg at times......I use up left-overs.....but I won't go back to coal fires.
They are hard work......all that riddling and poking...and fetching buckets of coal down the backyard in the cold and rain isn't my bag at all.
I'm with you on the frozen veg. There's hardly any difference nowadays and it is much quicker and simpler.

I buy all the cuts of meat from the butchers that no one else wants (such as breast of lamb) and as an upshot get some cracking deals. It wouldn't surprise me to see cuts of mutton reappearing in years to come.

As far as coal fires are concerned, I have a stove which is great for slow cooking casseroles, soups and broths and much easier to look after than an open fire. The heat is also much more even, although can get infernally hot even in deepest winter!

Old 29-08-2010, 16:53   #175
God Member

anyone ever had pork cheek? i've seen it in Morrisons but never bought it, i use beef skirt in stews but thats as far as i've got yet, had tongue and the other off cuts but just not cheek
Old 29-08-2010, 16:55   #176

I was in a pub a while back and the guy came in delivering chickens - a box of eight for a fiver!
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 17:53   #177
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
anyone ever had pork cheek? i've seen it in Morrisons but never bought it, i use beef skirt in stews but thats as far as i've got yet, had tongue and the other off cuts but just not cheek

At one time only if you asked the butcher. Now it seems that the way things are cheaper cuts and "oddities" are wanted.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 30-08-2010, 00:57   #178

one legged £2 chickens get what 11 pages ... must be a record
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 03:06   #179
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Foxes don't
Tory fox hunting blood sport Twait!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 05:34   #180
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Tory fox hunting blood sport Twait!
Oh come on Mancie it was a bit of tongue in cheek humour.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..