Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-05-2008, 12:03   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: pc tubes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Can remember it being Marnita cashy from the days when I went to the tech, can remember the cafe as well, used to go in for dinner, always had Spotted Dick for sweet
i was always in the back room playing the pin tables, Maureen, Christine @ Edna used to work the cafe.
Old 24-05-2008, 12:47   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i was always in the back room playing the pin tables, Maureen, Christine @ Edna used to work the cafe.
Its surprises me cashy, in the old days there were lots of good cafes where you coul get a deceant dinner Like Warner Street, Chippy on Plantation Street, Chippy on Blackburn Road opposite Platts, supose the all went to the wall when pubs started doing lunches

Last edited by jaysay; 24-05-2008 at 12:48. Reason: error
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 18:20   #18

Before Abbey street PV Tubes used to be on Water street, where the Fell and Mountain shop is now. David Wood used to be something to do with it, he used to be our telly repair man. Tellys always seemed to breakdown in the 70s and 80s. They were the first place to start selling computers when it started getting popular in the early 80s.
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 09:58   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMG View Post
Before Abbey street PV Tubes used to be on Water street, where the Fell and Mountain shop is now. David Wood used to be something to do with it, he used to be our telly repair man. Tellys always seemed to breakdown in the 70s and 80s. They were the first place to start selling computers when it started getting popular in the early 80s.
I actually bought my first pc there, well word processor in 1993, it was an Amstrad, swapped it two years later for a pc. What ever did we do before the PC
Old 26-05-2008, 18:06   #20
God Member

When I was 12 or 13 I had my VIC 20 controlling all sorts of things via relays and motors. Just cause we didn't have PCs didn't mean we couldn't do stuff with computers. I seem to recall Kipax was an amiga fiend as well.

Computers didn't start with the PC you know!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 12:38   #21

I used to love that shop I used to spend hours in there as I was at college (doing computers) up at Accy and Rossendale, though this is back in 1995-7. Cant remember the name of the chap there at the time as well which is quite annoying (big chap with short light brown hair). Used to go in with MacDonald's breakfasts of a morning before college and talk computers. I remember all the old amiga games they used to have and actually got my first printer there as well - a colour dot matrix printer, Citizen ABC - used to take about 15 minutes to print a page out and the paper looked like it had been hammered afterwards

I thought it was an ace shop - the likes of PC world just cant come close!

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 13:18   #22
God Member

The chap you mention I believe was Lee Braithwaite. As mentioned before I went to school with Lee.

Old 27-05-2008, 15:45   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
When I was 12 or 13 I had my VIC 20 controlling all sorts of things via relays and motors. Just cause we didn't have PCs didn't mean we couldn't do stuff with computers. I seem to recall Kipax was an amiga fiend as well.

Well ya I agree entwisi, I had a Spectrum in the 80s, they weren't much cop though, when I said computer I didn't take the Spectrum into account
Old 27-05-2008, 18:21   #24
God Member

they could do far more than 99% of users knew how. Most people just hit Shift return to load a game from tape. As I said, my VIC 20 did all sorts of things due to me hacking into it and understanding how I could control things.

Old 28-05-2008, 10:25   #25

Lee - that was his name! Cant believe I forgot it in the first place as I pretty much lived in that shop throughougt college!!!

I had a spectrum (in fact I still have it) 128k +2 with the built in tape deck. I used to spend hours learning "basic" which stood me in good stead later on for Pascal/C++

Speaking of the old faithfull Speccy - if anyone has favourite games that they remember, most of them are now available to play online through an internet browser - my favourite game ever is still going and has been taken on as a freeware project, Chaos Battle of the Wizards - best game ever!

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
Old 28-05-2008, 11:35   #26
God Member

Lee moved to America and wed someone he met on the Internet as I recall.

Old 28-05-2008, 11:51   #27
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post

You're not wrong there entwisi, I had a friend who was a keen gardener and loved his spectrum, he designed his own program and hardware to monitor his three green houses, for temperature, humidity and automatic watering of his plants when he was away at flower shows or on holiday.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 13:29   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSz View Post
Lee - that was his name! Cant believe I forgot it in the first place as I pretty much lived in that shop throughougt college!!!

I had a spectrum (in fact I still have it) 128k +2 with the built in tape deck. I used to spend hours learning "basic" which stood me in good stead later on for Pascal/C++

Speaking of the old faithfull Speccy - if anyone has favourite games that they remember, most of them are now available to play online through an internet browser - my favourite game ever is still going and has been taken on as a freeware project, Chaos Battle of the Wizards - best game ever!
Omg hehehehe, my dad still has the spectrum 48k rubber keys [i hope he does hehe] & we had the 128k with tape deck tho given away to a relative i think. Tho to my pleasure the psp has a compilation games of the th'owd spectrum, which my daughter got for xmas [tho i played on it more hahaha] which has river raid & river raid 2.... i used to be good at that one tho a lot easier with a joy stick as a fair few other games, i soon remembered how cool they were, tho without the fun of the screeching tape loading that took upto 20mins & a pain at last min for failing to load after all that hehehe.

My other favs sadly not on that compilation was jet set willy, manic minor & paperboy, paperboy being my fav for trashing a few windows ..... would love another go tho havent found it on the net yet.

Still cant beat the orange atari game of tennis tho [wonder if that is still in me dads collection somewhere

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 15:24   #29
God Member

there are loads of spectrum emulators for your PC anmd quite a few that run them in flash on web pages

http://www.ellosnuncaloharian.com/on...anicminer.html is one

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dan_ric..._uk/JSWII.html

just googling wil quickly sort you out

Old 29-05-2008, 08:48   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Omg hehehehe, my dad still has the spectrum 48k rubber keys [i hope he does hehe] & we had the 128k with tape deck tho given away to a relative i think. Tho to my pleasure the psp has a compilation games of the th'owd spectrum, which my daughter got for xmas [tho i played on it more hahaha] which has river raid & river raid 2.... i used to be good at that one tho a lot easier with a joy stick as a fair few other games, i soon remembered how cool they were, tho without the fun of the screeching tape loading that took upto 20mins & a pain at last min for failing to load after all that hehehe.

My other favs sadly not on that compilation was jet set willy, manic minor & paperboy, paperboy being my fav for trashing a few windows ..... would love another go tho havent found it on the net yet.

Still cant beat the orange atari game of tennis tho [wonder if that is still in me dads collection somewhere
Here you go - just for you!!! http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infos...cgi?id=0003603

If you go to worldofspectrum.org and click on the 'archive' section you will see you can select 'games' and then just browse through to find what you're after - if you scroll down once you've selected a game you can see you can play it in your browser using a Java plugin which most browsers will have anyway. Not quite the same of sticking the tape in and going to make a brew for 10 minutes whislt the TV screams at you with those weird blue and yellow lines but hey....

Cos it rocks!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..