Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-10-2008, 18:33   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Pub Closures

Seems a lot of pubs closed early last night due to the weather

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-10-2008, 18:58   #17
God Member

Dya know I was driving through Ossy the other week and I found it quite sad at the emptiness of the road, Only two pubs open, the Bay and the Tinker. Now I know they are die hard pubs but that road used to be the heart of Ossy and you could walk up/down it and stop on every corner to talk to someone you knew, Sadly not anymore.
Not sure about night times how many pubs are open but I was saddened to see only two open in the day.

Further along Blackburn road on what we used to call the circuit , only three left there. and even more degrading and intimidating to say the least was to see smokers stood around the doorway . How awful for some passer by to try and enter the pub.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 21:26   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
You missed out Brain dead which is what anyone that puts an oxymoron such as

in the same statement!

Thats the second insult in a very short time. Maybe you live and survive on nepotism?

Get real...back off and concentrate on your cat chasing witches.

I know the weather in Accy is a bit iffy at the moment....take a break...Go to Blackpool.....maybe that will cheer you up.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 21:47   #19
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I will answer post #18 in another thread rather than allow you to hijack yet another members thread, which you have an excellent talent for doing.

Now, allow those that wish to to discuss pub closures.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 21:51   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I will answer post #18 in another thread rather than allow you to hijack yet another members thread, which you have an excellent talent for doing.

Now, allow those that wish to to discuss pub closures.
Look forward to it.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 08:17   #21

Well said less...........about time you put your foot down
Old 27-10-2008, 10:19   #22
Resting in Peace

Latest news flash on BBC news stating that 'Beer sales have fallen in the U.K. the equivalent of 1.8 million PER DAY' ! Not actually convinced all to do with the economy though .. perhaps we are all drinking more lager, wine and shorts ... 'Course they are not mentioning the smoking ban .. biggest drop is from July/September 2007 > July/September 2008

BBC NEWS | Business | UK beer sales continue to slide
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 10:36   #23

Personally Kate, I'm sure the smoking ban has more to do with it than anything else..........but that's just my opinion.
Old 27-10-2008, 11:05   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post

and even more degrading and intimidating to say the least was to see smokers stood around the doorway . How awful for some passer by to try and enter the pub.
Me too Lynx .. never stopped me going to any special does (like the Accyweb meets of course), but just nipping out to the pub for an hour or so .. has definitely had some effect on me.

Not quite sure what you are trying to say Cherokee with the above quote ? Do you mean they are afraid of being attacked by cigarette stubs or just running the gauntlet of smoke inhalation ? Don't think that the smokers are any danger to anyone as far as being intimidating .. only have one purpose in mind ... input of nicotine ... Anyway, it hasn't made much difference to non-smokers returning to the pubs en masse.
Old 27-10-2008, 15:14   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Me too Lynx .. never stopped me going to any special does (like the Accyweb meets of course), but just nipping out to the pub for an hour or so .. has definitely had some effect on me.

Not quite sure what you are trying to say Cherokee with the above quote ? Do you mean they are afraid of being attacked by cigarette stubs or just running the gauntlet of smoke inhalation ? Don't think that the smokers are any danger to anyone as far as being intimidating .. only have one purpose in mind ... input of nicotine ... Anyway, it hasn't made much difference to non-smokers returning to the pubs en masse.
I've got to agree with Cherokee I'm afraid - although I find coming home from the pub now smoke free a more pleasant experience, it is intimidating having to negotiate your way through the people stood at the entrance. I don't think it does much to attract business.
Old 27-10-2008, 15:28   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
I've got to agree with Cherokee I'm afraid - although I find coming home from the pub now smoke free a more pleasant experience, it is intimidating having to negotiate your way through the people stood at the entrance. I don't think it does much to attract business.
There's not many pubs though Sarah that don't now have a smoking area to the rear/side ? Perhaps the pubs aren't encouraging smokers enough to use these designated areas ? Sure the smokers prefer to use these as you can't always take your drink outside the pub with you.

Can't understand the word 'intimidating' .. no worse than having to fight your way to the bar (well, used to have to ) to get a drink ..
Old 28-10-2008, 19:21   #27
Resting in Peace

"it is intimidating having to negotiate your way through the people stood at the entrance. I don't think it does much to attract business."

I know what you mean.... however its the same for us smokers... I feel at times vulnerable when I have to go outside for a smoke and don't know anyone....

The answer is put all us smokers in underground shelters....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 13:36   #28

The smokers stood outside pubs give you a snap shot of what it's going to be like inside. On a more serious note I noticed the Lilford in Tarleton was boarded up so assumed its' customers would go to the Cock and Bottle. Blow me if that isn't boarded up as well last time I passed. These are hard times for pubs but to cheer myself up I got 45 cans from Asda for £20
http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/lancashi...rdlilford.html
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 13:37   #29
God Member

I picked up a rumour over the weekend that the Stag may be about to reopen. That is about the hundreth time in the last two years, but on this occaision it may have some credence. We shall see.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 20:40   #30
Resting in Peace

[quote=wadey;645548]The smokers stood outside pubs give you a snap shot of what it's going to be like inside.

yes empty
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..