Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 11:31   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: United states of GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Ah, but Gord was the first world leader to talk to Obama by phone, taking to opportunity to warn him about the dangers of protectionism. Soon afterwards, Obama introduced his Buy American bill. Funny, that...
Ah but was he talking to Obama or Rory Bremner, Wynonie
Old 06-02-2009, 16:29   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
We’ve been the 51st state in all but name since WWII without the benefits.

It is time that we either stood up to the Yanks and told them where to go or became Yanks ourselves.
I like the "tell them where to go option." Canada does it all the time ... Iraq comes quickly to mind ... if Blair had demonstrated the feisty independence of Jean Chretien, that crap in Iraq may not have happened; and if it had anyway, Britain would not have been involved. And with Canada voicing loud opposition to the new American protectionism, it's no surprise that President Obama's first overseas visit will be to Ottawa ... (Ok, maybe it's because Canada is so close). However, I do believe that Obama is a very smart man; and he does realize that what the US needs is friends ... not toadies or dependents, but friends. And the nice thing about friends is that you can, on occasion, them they are full of faeces, and still remain friends.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 16:35   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Ah, but Gord was the first world leader to talk to Obama by phone, taking to opportunity to warn him about the dangers of protectionism. Soon afterwards, Obama introduced his Buy American bill. Funny, that...
I don't think that it was Obama's intent to have the "Buy American" provisions in his bailout package .... this came from Congress. Obama is smart enough to realize that American protectionism will worsen the recession rather than moderate its effects.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 14:17   #34
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: United states of GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Think about that very carefully Jimbo....The Yanks have pulled us out of the mire more than once.
Without their intervention in WWII we would all be paying homage to a fate worse than the current Labour Government.
In both world wars, Royboy39, the Yanks were intent on staying neutral and did so until there was direct action against the USA that brought them into both wars on the side of the Allies.

In the First World War it was the sinking of the Lusitania that drew American sympathies to the Allies. Thereafter the sinking of several US cargo vessels by U-Boats dragged the US into the war.

It was a similar story for WWII. Except here it was Pearl Harbour that brought the Yanks into the war. Prior to that even the sinking of American cargo vessels by U-Boats wouldn’t persuade them to join us. But they did sell us on the “Lease Lend Scheme” crappy and obsolete warships and arms for the land forces. The USA made a fortune out of WWII and it took us decades of hard earned taxes to pay it off.

Once Hitler realised the enormity of invading England he abandoned the idea and would have, if asked, allowed us to sue for peace. He even broached the idea through diplomatic channels but Churchill refused.

Hitler didn’t see the UK as a historic enemy of Germany and only attacked these islands because we declared war on Germany. Not the other way round. He only reciprocated. Hitler was more intent on dominating the European continent and putting Russia in its place. Don’t forget that the last successful invasion of these shores was back in 1066 when the Duke of Normandy showed Harold what’s what. Normandy is France and we have a long history of battling the French.

Post WWII it was a generally held view that it was the USSR that was a threat to world peace. But the reality was and still is that it is the USA who is the biggest threat to world peace.

Since Heath this government has been sitting on two fences, the European one and the USA one.

It would be in the people’s best interests to become part of the USA but it is in the politician’s best interests to join with Europe. Guess which way the government will eventually fall?

Last edited by jambutty; 09-02-2009 at 14:26.
jambutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 14:25   #35
God Member

Quote:
In both world wars, Royboy39, the Yanks were intent on staying neutral and did so until there was direct action against the USA that brought them into both wars on the side of the Allies.

In the First World War it was the sinking of the Lusitania that drew American sympathies to the Allies. Thereafter the sinking of several US cargo vessels by U-Boats dragged the US into the war.

It was a similar story for WWII. Except here it was Pearl Harbour that brought the Yanks into the war. Prior to that even the sinking of American cargo vessels by U-Boats wouldn’t persuade them to join us. But they did sell us on the “Lease Lend Scheme” crappy and obsolete warships and arms for the land forces. The USA made a fortune out of WWII and it took us decades of hard earned taxes to pay it off.

Once Hitler realised the enormity of invading England he abandoned the idea and would have, if asked, allowed us to sue for peace. He even broached the idea through diplomatic channels but Churchill refused.

Post WWII it was a generally held view that it was the USSR that was a threat to world peace. But the reality was and still is that it is the USA who is the biggest threat to world peace.

Since Heath this government has been sitting on two fences, the European one and the USA one.

It would be in the people’s best interests to become part of the USA but it is in the politician’s best interests to join with Europe. Guess which way the government will eventually fall?
Thanks for the history lesson Jim....sure it will be of interest to our younger members.

I don't know which way the Government will go but I'm sure you will tell us?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 14:28   #36
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: United states of GB

You won’t need me to tell you. It’ll be on telly once the deal has been done.
Old 09-02-2009, 14:55   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

that small paragraph sums up very nicely,exactly what i think.
Old 09-02-2009, 16:40   #38
Senior Member+

.....and please could we have a manufacturing industry back too!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 19:19   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
.....and please could we have a manufacturing industry back too!

Best Regards - Taggy
You can about the same time I get my O.B.E!!

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 19:20   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Shhhhhhhhh pete yer on next years honours list n ive been knighted.
Old 09-02-2009, 19:42   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Shhhhhhhhh pete yer on next years honours list n ive been knighted.
At least you got Morrissey to write a song for you.Swine.

I just got the Monkees.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 20:35   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I like the "tell them where to go option." Canada does it all the time ... Iraq comes quickly to mind ... if Blair had demonstrated the feisty independence of Jean Chretien, that crap in Iraq may not have happened; and if it had anyway, Britain would not have been involved. And with Canada voicing loud opposition to the new American protectionism, it's no surprise that President Obama's first overseas visit will be to Ottawa ... (Ok, maybe it's because Canada is so close). However, I do believe that Obama is a very smart man; and he does realize that what the US needs is friends ... not toadies or dependents, but friends. And the nice thing about friends is that you can, on occasion, them they are full of faeces, and still remain friends.
It's funny that Canada is often regarded as most like the USA but it seems that the UK has taken over.

Apart from foreign policy it seems that other UK similarities are

- Materialistic lifestyle (especially easy credit)

- Fascination with celebrities (the Royals)

- Image and spin rather than facts and reality
flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 21:07   #43
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: United states of GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Whilst I was serving in the Royal Navy I was awarded the C.D.M.
Old 09-02-2009, 22:19   #44
God Member

We seem to be constantly moaning about laws and regulations "imposed" on Britain by the EU from Brussels..but the EU is an elected Parliment.. it's just the same as moaning about the Goverment in London imposing regulations in Accrington.
I'm not standing up for the EU but at least you get a vote on who represents you .. we don't get to vote in USA elections.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 22:25   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

know what yer saying mancie, but its the vote we didn't get that bugs me.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..