Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2009, 22:10   #46
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: swine fever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Fair enough jem...but if 125 have died so far in this world wide "pandemic" then in the same peroid of time more peple will have died from Malaria or AIDS...the last scare we had shoved on us was bird flu...in some reports we were told up to half the population of Britain would die!..before that it was SARS..I've forgotten what that was but they were closing down airports and walking around with face masks.. all over the top.
I have to agree with Mancie on this one and can't help thinking that it is being blown out of all proportion. Flu viruses have existed and mutated since man began. Every year various strains of Influenza kill hundreds of thousands of people worldwide. The biggest killer in the world is still Malaria closely followed by AIDS related illnesses. Yes it is sad that people die of Flu but I am not going to waste my time worrying about this latest outbreak which, I feel, is being blown out of all proportion by the media coverage.

I was in Hong Kong shortly after SARS broke out. The world went into panic mode and very little came of it.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-04-2009, 22:12   #47
jem

Quote:
Fair enough jem...but if 125 have died so far in this world wide "pandemic" then in the same peroid of time more peple will have died from Malaria or AIDS...the last scare we had shoved on us was bird flu...in some reports we were told up to half the population of Britain would die!..before that it was SARS..I've forgotten what that was but they were closing down airports and walking around with face masks.. all over the top.

ok fair dos but if they didnt do anything then they would be accused of not caring as a fella got off the plane the other day and because he got told about the mask that what good will that do he was like they are treating this like a joke so they are damed if they do damed if the dont but i find it very offencive to be making jokes about it because if this is true then imagin how horrible the people who was making jokes will feel because they thought it was another scam plus bird flu never happened this is really happening people are dying and more and more everyday
Old 29-04-2009, 22:19   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the facts as we know em at this point are simple, people have died in mexico, the W.H.O. state clearly that those who have it elsewhere are only displaying mild symptoms, fer some reason its not as virulent elsewhere, so why the hell are some panicking oer this? worry when ya have to,not before.
Old 29-04-2009, 22:37   #49
jem

ok fair dos maybe your right but if they left it to late then there wouldnt be a point to do anything so start earliy and then you know theres a chance to be safe start to late and you never know how many lives that might be taken before they do something
Old 29-04-2009, 22:44   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

seems very strange to me jem, they already had a stockpile of oer 30 million doses of the cure (which they are now increasing stock to 50million) before we were aware of this outbreak. summat sucks to me.
Old 29-04-2009, 23:04   #51
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

The Tamiflu treatment was stockpiled when Bird Flu hit the news. The Government increased supplies of Tamiflu in case Bird Flu spread amongst humans. As there was no need for the Tamiflu back then, we still have it in stock.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 23:06   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the W.H.O. state clearly that those who have it elsewhere are only displaying mild symptoms,
since when has Roger Daltrey and his mates been experts on flu ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 23:07   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
The Tamiflu treatment was stockpiled when Bird Flu hit the news. The Government increased supplies of Tamiflu in case Bird Flu spread amongst humans. As there was no need for the Tamiflu back then, we still have it in stock.
Interesting to know Lettie but is there no out of date to things like this? Not that I am worried about the threat, as far as I'm concerned "what will be will be" but would have thought these things would have a shelf life.
Old 29-04-2009, 23:12   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
since when has Roger Daltrey and his mates been experts on flu ?
your right accyman.. it was the Bee Gees..."swine fever swine fever.. we know how to do it"
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 00:12   #55
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Interesting to know Lettie but is there no out of date to things like this? Not that I am worried about the threat, as far as I'm concerned "what will be will be" but would have thought these things would have a shelf life.

there might be a out of date on these tablets but as far as i know the is still chance of bird flu i havent heard other wise i see it the same as bernadette what will be will be if its gonna happen then so be it the things i dont like is the fact people are dying and others that isnt suffering and they are making jokes out of it how would the joke makers like it if they caught it suffering really bad and others where making jokes out of others suffring its a pity people do that take care of each other coz if we cant do that then this world is one massive big mess and needs to learn how to love others and take care of thy neighbour .( Im not religous)
Old 30-04-2009, 01:17   #56
God Member

Just had this mental image of the Grim Reaper appearing on the planet riding on a pig For some reason (it might be the beer), this puts the whole thing in perspective for me
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 01:25   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Just had this mental image of the Grim Reaper appearing on the planet riding on a pig For some reason (it might be the beer), this puts the whole thing in perspective for me
not the beer Eric.. that's a bloke called David Cameron!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 02:54   #58
God Member

Quote:
not the beer Eric.. that's a bloke called David Cameron!
Looks more like Stephen Harper
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 02:56   #59
God Member

my womans just rang me sobbing her heart out because she has ran out of petrol and is affraid to go into the petrol station because shes scared she will get swine flu

problems been solved now iv told her that swine flu is in mexaco and not texaco

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 30-04-2009, 03:01   #60
God Member

For the extra paranoid amongst us

you can track the swine flu here

H1N1 Swine Flu - Google Maps

personaly i think the santa tracker was better

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..