Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2009, 05:52   #61
God Member

Re: Council again..

I don't think you're being very fair Garinda. Your posts read with quite a condescending manner. You know very well that even people with far more experience than yourself argue for and against the minimum wage. I do not agree with Nickleson on the minimum wage itself, but I do understand exactly what he means by price floor, despite having never done an economics GCSE/A-level. It appears pretty logical to me.

Nickleson you mentioned tax credits, which is an important point for low paid workers. What I'd like to see is low paid workers completely lifted out of the taxation system. We recently saw income tax of everybody on the minimum wage double from 10% to 20% which just seems quite ridiculous to me as it hurts the lowest paid in society the most.
Old 22-05-2009, 07:30   #62
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
if one can do it .. then the other can ......
This is starting to get like a play ground argument
Old 22-05-2009, 07:30   #63
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I don't think you're being very fair Garinda. Your posts read with quite a condescending manner. You know very well that even people with far more experience than yourself argue for and against the minimum wage. I do not agree with Nickleson on the minimum wage itself, but I do understand exactly what he means by price floor, despite having never done an economics GCSE/A-level. It appears pretty logical to me.

Nickleson you mentioned tax credits, which is an important point for low paid workers. What I'd like to see is low paid workers completely lifted out of the taxation system. We recently saw income tax of everybody on the minimum wage double from 10% to 20% which just seems quite ridiculous to me as it hurts the lowest paid in society the most.
Well if you can understand the poorly punctuated, rambling gobbledigook, perhaps it's just me, so I apologise.

Perhaps you've just got use to making sense of such unfathomable nonsense.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 07:34   #64
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
A minimum wage is a floor for the employers in which they can pay there employees. In large buisnesses this tends not be a problem, however the smaller buisnesses might stuggle. The minimum wage increases the amount of money within the government coffers. So the money is often placed within welfare benefits. Yes there are Hundreds of thousands whom Working Tax Credits need not apply to. However to those that are applicable then the fact that there hours are made up means they need not work the 30 hours and can work 20 where they will get the rest made up. This creates not incentive for the worker to drag themselfs out thus creating a trap.

Prehaps i do need revision, however i didnt study this subject 13 months ago.
No, in the light of day, this still makes very little sense.

Old 22-05-2009, 07:47   #65
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't think you're being very fair Garinda.
When you too enter the real world, outside the confines of academic Hull, you may also realise that life sometimes isn't 'fair'.

I think it's perfectly fair to challenge unsubstantiated, glib comments, and ask for evidence.

Hopefully evidence that might be clear, and understandable to all.

Old 22-05-2009, 08:13   #66

I'm not saying at all that "if they can do it, so can we". We didn't do it at all. I worked with officers for months on this proposal, it was fully costed, itemised and a report produced but it was an AMMENDMENT not a motion. People put ammendments to proposals at full council all the time and I don't object to that but to come with a proposal 5 minutes before is verging on deceitful. I know that a presentation was scheduled to come to full council regarding the Civic Theatre weeks in advance but still the report still only came at the last minute. Its not financially responsible to be expected to vote on spending 400k in 10 minutes with no firm indication where the money is coming from, in fact its financially reckless and I'm not prepared to act fast and loose with Hyndburn tax payers money just so Peter can gets his kicks from seeing his face in the paper.
ClarePritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 09:24   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
This is starting to get like a play ground argument
Starting
Old 22-05-2009, 09:28   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
When you too enter the real world, outside the confines of academic Hull, you may also realise that life sometimes isn't 'fair'.

I think it's perfectly fair to challenge unsubstantiated, glib comments, and ask for evidence.

Hopefully evidence that might be clear, and understandable to all.
No life isn't fair, I'm aware of that without patronisation thank-you. I just happen to think that in a community you could criticise somebody without needing to condescend them. Especially when you're using lack of experience, when much more experienced men than yourself think the minimum wage is bad - are you suggesting that they're correct? No of course not, it would not be a convincing argument to suggest somebody is correct solely on the basis of their current educational status or how long they've been in the 'real world'. It's about the argument put forward.
Old 22-05-2009, 09:43   #69

What is this living in the real world that keeps cropping up in relation to students, interesting, thought i might ask due to coming across the term several times.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 09:56   #70
Give, give, give member

Quote:
No life isn't fair, I'm aware of that without patronisation thank-you. I just happen to think that in a community you could criticise somebody without needing to condescend them. Especially when you're using lack of experience, when much more experienced men than yourself think the minimum wage is bad - are you suggesting that they're correct? No of course not, it would not be a convincing argument to suggest somebody is correct solely on the basis of their current educational status or how long they've been in the 'real world'. It's about the argument put forward.

It could be seen as condescension on your part, when you refer to my 'experience', when in reality you haven't a clue as to what that might be.

Good luck with doorstepping.

I'm sure people will be thrilled with the charmless presumptions you seem to make.

Old 22-05-2009, 09:59   #71
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
What is this living in the real world that keeps cropping up in relation to students, interesting, thought i might ask due to coming across the term several times.
Earning enough money to provide for yourself and those close to you, and all that that entails, such as paying the various associated taxes, at a wild guess.

Old 22-05-2009, 10:20   #72
God Member

Quote:
It could be seen as condescension on your part, when you refer to my 'experience', when in reality you haven't a clue as to what that might be.
I don't need to know what experience you have or haven't got, because I'm not attacking you for it. If you are the most experienced man on the planet, then I take my hat off, my statement must be incorrect.
Old 22-05-2009, 10:26   #73
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
If you are the most experienced man on the planet, then I take my hat off, my statement must be incorrect.
In some areas he just might be
Old 22-05-2009, 10:30   #74
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't need to know what experience you have or haven't got
Then why refer to it, since you don't have any knowledge of it?

Very sloppy.

Old 22-05-2009, 10:51   #75
God Member

Quote:
Then why refer to it, since you don't have any knowledge of it?

Very sloppy.
Not at all, given the context. I know you have great experience in rarely dealing with context and actually commenting on the general argument - favouring changing topic when you're caught out. Keep digging!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..