Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 19:56   #16

Re: The Law Is An Ass.

As everyone can see from my avatar Mac is a rather ferocious dog, so I have a large chain lead which I carry when I take him out for his walks, it belonged to my staffie so why buy a new one, I thought........was talking to a Police Officer last year and I happened to mention that I felt safer carrying the lead as I could use it if I was ever threatened whilst walking the dog. I was told in no uncertain terms I could be in serious trouble if I ever used it to defend myself as it would be classed as an offensive weapon, so where do I go from there? Maybe if I buy a nice new fabric one I would be ok, and so would the thugs who roam around looking for people to have a go at......Naw, think I'll stick to the chain one and use it if needed.
Old 10-01-2010, 21:18   #17
God Member

I used to fence (epees, not wooden stakes) and not unsurprisingly i was told that carrying the sword had to be done in a certain way or it would be classed as an offensive weapon. Obviously, i can agree with that, BUT if I had been attacked whilst carrying one I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have discarded it and let a mugger get on with it, I would have used it myself.

One of the reasons they say women shouldn't use any weapons as protection is because the chances are they would be overpowered and the weapon used against them.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 21:36   #18

This is one of my pet peeves at the moment.

the law states you can use "reasonable" force to protect and defend yourself, but the test of reasonableness can vary so much. Its as if you are meant to guess how far a burglar will go to defend himself and then act appropriately ??? .

I believe the best weapons of defence arent knives etc because you have to be close to threaten to use it and then they can wrestle them away from you. A long stick or yardbrush would be better if one is handy.

However I think that until it happens to you, you have no idea of how you will react, and that under stress like that, anything you have to hand which increases your confidence to defend yourself becomes fair game.

If its men burglars go for the soft dangly bits as it were rather than the head....My legal defence would be that I considered a "reasonable" person would incapacitate the burglar to protect myself until the police arrived, and those areas would stop him from injuring us without long term damage (if you hit him in the head this is when they are more likely to look for compensation)
Old 10-01-2010, 21:53   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I used to fence (epees, not wooden stakes) and not unsurprisingly i was told that carrying the sword had to be done in a certain way or it would be classed as an offensive weapon. Obviously, i can agree with that, BUT if I had been attacked whilst carrying one I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have discarded it and let a mugger get on with it, I would have used it myself.

One of the reasons they say women shouldn't use any weapons as protection is because the chances are they would be overpowered and the weapon used against them.
I think I knew your brother Freddie the Fence.

Is it true that he died when he fell off the back of a wagon?

Start the car.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 22:17   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Can you still do the Green Cross Code exam?
no he sulked when he got sacked from teh darth vader role and never worked again but i believe tufty is coming out of retirement

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:29   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX1 View Post
As everyone can see from my avatar Mac is a rather ferocious dog, so I have a large chain lead which I carry when I take him out for his walks, it belonged to my staffie so why buy a new one, I thought........was talking to a Police Officer last year and I happened to mention that I felt safer carrying the lead as I could use it if I was ever threatened whilst walking the dog. I was told in no uncertain terms I could be in serious trouble if I ever used it to defend myself as it would be classed as an offensive weapon, so where do I go from there? Maybe if I buy a nice new fabric one I would be ok, and so would the thugs who roam around looking for people to have a go at......Now, think I'll stick to the chain one and use it if needed.
I know the bread well LYNX, you don't mess with white lightning, after the initial barking episode they then attack and give any intruder a vicious lick
Old 11-01-2010, 09:34   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Would imagine he has plenty of official protection...paid for by us!
Ya like the judges who are driven from home to court and home again in their Roller's, just to ensure they don't come across the real world the rest of us live in, i.e. where the criminal has more rights than the victim
Old 11-01-2010, 10:50   #23
Give, give, give member

If she isn't allowed to wave a knife about in her own home, when people are on her property, she should install a system that plays 'Pure and Simple' at mega volume, to scare 'em off.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:58   #24
God Member

so every time you peel a potato you are breaking the law if somone is in your line of view ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 15:02   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
so every time you peel a potato you are breaking the law if somone is in your line of view ?
If your peeling it with intent accyman
Old 11-01-2010, 15:12   #26
God Member

I suppose if you're making chips you will be regarded as a crazed axeman.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 15:42   #27
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
If your peeling it with intent accyman
And if your in the kitchen making a brew and you bang on the widow with a spoon, you will be accused of stirring it.
Penalty six months watching the repeat of episode I of coronation St, over and over again.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 15:52   #28

The police got this wrong. The law on offensive weapons (Prevention of Crime Act 1953) only applies to "public places". Munir Hussain was convicted by a jury of inflicting grievous bodily harm on the basis that he had wreaked revenge on those who had attacked his family - the law of the vigilante.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 19:57   #29
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

My personal point of view, once you've crossed the threshold of my premises without my consent and with the intent of doing something illegal, your rights have gone out the window, and as for reasonable force I'll decide what's reasonable in protecting my family. The police and courts can go screw themselves I'll take my chances with a sensible Judge and the Public outcry, saying they deserved it !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 20:57   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
My personal point of view, once you've crossed the threshold of my premises without my consent and with the intent of doing something illegal, your rights have gone out the window, and as for reasonable force I'll decide what's reasonable in protecting my family. The police and courts can go screw themselves I'll take my chances with a sensible Judge and the Public outcry, saying they deserved it !
AMEN to that dave.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..