Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   The Law Is An Ass. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/the-law-is-an-ass-51213.html)

cashman 10-01-2010 11:16

The Law Is An Ass.

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/news..._at_intruders: really annoyed at the treatment of victims. what are people supposed to do? like the guy who went out to some down warrington way, unharmed n ended up dead.:mad: woman was probably crapping herself yet she's in the wrong? the worlds gone nuts.:mad:

LYNX1 10-01-2010 11:22

Re: The Law Is An Ass.

Can't get the link to work cashy...just keeps throwing up an error code :(

Wynonie Harris 10-01-2010 11:44

Think this is the story Cashy was trying to post...

Myleene Klass warned by police after waving 'illegal' kitchen knife at intruders in her garden | Mail Online

Yet another example of the way that the authorities are totally out of touch with ordinary people in this country.

cashman 10-01-2010 11:49

Celebrity mum Myleene Klass is "aghast" after being warned by police for waving a knife at teenagers who entered her garden.

The TV star and Marks & Spencer model was in her kitchen, with her daughter upstairs, when she spotted people peering into her window just after midnight on Friday.

She grabbed a knife and banged the windows before they ran away.

Hertfordshire Police officers warned Klass she should not have used a knife to scare off the teens because carrying an "offensive weapon" - even in her own home - was illegal.

Klass told Sky News in a statement: "My family are totally fine and I thank the police for being so re-assuring and comforting.

"However, I was left shocked and surprised to be told that a private individual in the privacy of their own home runs the risk of committing a criminal offence if, out of fear for their own safety and their loved ones, they grab something with which they could defend themselves if an intruder enters their home.

"I totally respect British law - but surely everyone has the right to self-defence in their own home if they are in danger?"

Her spokesman Jonathan Shalit said the former Hearsay singer was "utterly terrified" and was stepping up security at the property near Potters Bar.

He told the Sunday Telegraph: "Myleene was aghast when she was told that the law did not allow her to defend herself at home.

"All she did was scream loudly and wave the knife to try and frighten them off."

Klass' fiance Graham Quinn was away on business at the time of the scare.

It came amid calls for greater rights for people to defend themselves against intruders on their property.

In December, Munir Hussain was jailed for attacking a man who tied up his family in their home. He and his brother used a cricket bat to beat one of the intruders. -- copied it then,

Retlaw 10-01-2010 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 777214)
http://web.orange.co.uk/article/news..._at_intruders: really annoyed at the treatment of victims. what are people supposed to do? like the guy who went out to some down warrington way, unharmed n ended up dead.:mad: woman was probably crapping herself yet she's in the wrong? the worlds gone nuts.:mad:

Its about time some polititian made the law perfectly clear on the subject to all so we can understand whats what.

I think the fuzz are scared of challenging these feral youths, and were abusing their authority in telling her she can't arm herself in her own home.

Jack Straw or Lying Brown should state clearly that we can defend our selfs, without all the iffy shades of meaning & intent, and put the fuzz back to the job they were intended to do when they were known as Peelers.

Retlaw.

Gayle 10-01-2010 14:52

It does beg the question, 'what are we actually supposed to do?' If someone was trying to break into the house are we supposed to go and hide under the bed and let them?

I think she showed initiative and managed to scare them off before anyone (even the thugs) came to any harm. Surely that should be commended.

cashman 10-01-2010 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 777273)
It does beg the question, 'what are we actually supposed to do?' If someone was trying to break into the house are we supposed to go and hide under the bed and let them?

I think she showed initiative and managed to scare them off before anyone (even the thugs) came to any harm. Surely that should be commended.

Thats the whole point to me Gayle, summat our inept leaders don't seem to have any concept of.:rolleyes:

Wynonie Harris 10-01-2010 16:35

Quote from Lord Goldsmith, the Attorney General: "We must protect victims and law-abiding citizens, but we have to recognise that others have some rights as well. They don't lose all rights because they're engaged in criminal conduct."

So there you are...burglars, thugs and other lowlife scum have rights, when they're breaking into your home and terrorising your family. So don't expect any support from the authorities in this country. :mad:

jaysay 10-01-2010 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 777291)
Quote from Lord Goldsmith, the Attorney General: "We must protect victims and law-abiding citizens, but we have to recognise that others have some rights as well. They don't lose all rights because they're engaged in criminal conduct."

So there you are...burglars, thugs and other lowlife scum have rights, when they're breaking into your home and terrorising your family. So don't expect any support from the authorities in this country. :mad:

No doubt some one will remind Lord Goldsmith if ever he is accosted in his own home:rolleyes:

Wynonie Harris 10-01-2010 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 777297)
No doubt some one will remind Lord Goldsmith if ever he is accosted in his own home:rolleyes:

Would imagine he has plenty of official protection...paid for by us! :rolleyes:

Gayle 10-01-2010 17:31

If someone chooses to mug, burgle, vandalise or harm another person, to me they should lose all rights.

If we're warned of something that is against health and safety regulations i.e. riding on a roller coaster that is deemed dangerous or something like that, but still choose to do it, it is our fault for doing it. The same should apply to other unlawful or stupid activity.

Wynonie Harris 10-01-2010 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 777300)
If someone chooses to mug, burgle, vandalise or harm another person, to me they should lose all rights.

Words of common sense that 99% of the population would agree with. Sadly, the other 1% are those who devise and adminster our criminal justice system. :rolleyes:

accyman 10-01-2010 17:53

as far as i am aware there is nothing illigal about waving a knife around in your own home and if someone happens to be stood in your garden tresspassing looking in at you waving a knife around its their own damn fault for been there

the police officer that made teh decision to give a warning to the lass shoudl be repremanded for wasting police time and have to retake whatever exam it is you take to become a police officer

as far as im concerned once somone is trespassing on your property especially if inside your property then their ass is grass and anything goes because you just dont know what they have in mind and how far they are preppared to go to get what they want,i would rather see an intruder dead on the floor than any member of my family hurt

Margaret Pilkington 10-01-2010 19:12

it is no wonder that feral youths, thugs and criminals laugh at the law......it seems to d far more to protect their rights than the rights of law abiding citizens........and like Gayle, I believe that if you indulge in unlawful behaviour/activities, then you forfeit any rights you might otherwise have had.

Neil 10-01-2010 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 777310)
the police officer that made teh decision to give a warning to the lass shoudl be repremanded for wasting police time and have to retake whatever exam it is you take to become a police officer

Can you still do the Green Cross Code exam?