Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 08:07   #31

Re: Heroes

I only viewed this thread late yesterday evening but have now e-mailed the Leader of the Council to let him know about the opinions being expressed on Accy Web.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-08-2012, 08:43   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
I only viewed this thread late yesterday evening but have now e-mailed the Leader of the Council to let him know about the opinions being expressed on Accy Web.
Judith I think he will already know, plenty of his foot soldiers wonder around on here every day and I'm sure they report back
Old 01-08-2012, 13:18   #33

Jaysay - Miles Parkinson has responded quickly to my e-mail. He has passed my message to the Member Servcies Manager so that she can "address any matters which need resolving and make sure everyone with initial ideas are included."
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 14:27   #34

Re: Heros

Having quickly scanned through some of the comments on here I am appauled and offended, but not surprised by some of the usual negative, snidi, nonsense from the usual posters, quick to comment about things they know nowt about and slag off others.
There was absolutely no disrespect, hidden agenda, etc, etc, towards Mrs Turner. It was a genuine oversight and human error. Yes, human error. The meeting time was changed to accommodate ME - an unpaid (working full time) volunteer, who had to take time off work to attend the mtg (and wasnt going to miss it) and not knowing how long it would go on for, was conscious of having to get to work too. Most of those present were/are on email, so mass communication at the press of a button, easy. Mrs Turner was apologised to by the Officer who had arranged the mtg, as did Cllr Pritchard.
It was very clear to me the purpose of the meeting, direction/s to go in, batt ideas about, who's doing what tasks, identify anyone else who might have constructive input to be invited.
It was the first meeting of the group, no one's been excluded, no hidden agendas, no preconceived ideas, etc, etc, etc. Yes, known interested & obvious individuals were invited along.
I do not profess to be a Pal's expert, only a mere relative of one, but was there as a community volunteer with lots of ideas, which i put forward, together with 3 handcrafted models. Blue peter at it's best with double sided sticky tape, staples and card ! Some of these ideas I've had burning a hole in my brain for some years and this is the ideal opportunity to try and make them a reality.
The Council are keen to honour the centenary of the Battle of the Somme and the build up to 01/07/2016. They have asked for community involvement and ideas - they do not claim and never do, to know all about the Pals.
Father hasnt been ignored, over looked or anything else. Cllr Dwyer spoke with him twice and asked him twice to come along but he didnt want to.
Father - I briefed you after the meeting and since about what's gone/going on. The meeting was 16 July. LET are a bit behind as usual.
Cllr Parkinson doesnt do passing of book, he's a genuine, sincere chap with the good of Hyndburn at heart. He doesnt do show boating or blowing own trumpets- not his style.
Doing nothing achieves nothing and that's not an option. So constructive input and comment welcome to make the centenary a success. It's easy to sit a criticise. Actually doing something constructive and contributing requires a little more effort !
We are the most famous town in the world and I want the world to be reminded of that - we got a mention at the Olympics opening ceremony for chuffing out loud.

Last edited by dusty mears; 01-08-2012 at 14:34.
dusty mears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 14:32   #35

Wallop - well reminded about the nicking. I forgot to add, that I did state at the meeting that HBC (officers), have poached and re-produced copyrighted document/s belonging to Father. I'd forgotten about that. I checked with the copyright people (cant remember who they are) and they confirmed my understanding/interpretation of copyrighted work.
Old 01-08-2012, 15:46   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Well you may have a point, she was the only one late.
They didn't invite me either, and those two semi experts that Ruth saw there certainly know of me.
Bill & I had discussed this when we put on the 90th aniversary at the Haworth in 2006, I've been collecting Items for a display in 2016, I've also got a mate living in France who's prepared to act for me over there, plus I know people who put on displays at Thiepval Memorial, who I've provided pictures and info for in the past, I'm sure they would be pleased to help. Bill and I didn't need the council in 2006, so why do I need them now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty mears View Post
Having quickly scanned through some of the comments on here I am appauled and offended, but not surprised by some of the usual negative, snidi, nonsense from the usual posters, quick to comment about things they know nowt about and slag off others.
There was absolutely no disrespect, hidden agenda, etc, etc, towards Mrs Turner. It was a genuine oversight and human error. Yes, human error. The meeting time was changed to accommodate ME - an unpaid (working full time) volunteer, who had to take time off work to attend the mtg (and wasnt going to miss it) and not knowing how long it would go on for, was conscious of having to get to work too. Most of those present were/are on email, so mass communication at the press of a button, easy. Mrs Turner was apologised to by the Officer who had arranged the mtg, as did Cllr Pritchard.

Father hasnt been ignored, over looked or anything else. Cllr Dwyer spoke with him twice and asked him twice to come along but he didnt want to.
Father - I briefed you after the meeting and since about what's gone/going on. The meeting was 16 July. LET are a bit behind as usual.
Well now yeh had yer rant, I am appalled n offended by your referral to the usual snidey negative comments etc, The regulars on here are people that keep forums going, "NOT" part timers like you. Yeh can bleat all yeh want, The fact the owd lass was not told is "Disrespectful" Human error or not, n also the fact yer dad, who is one of the regulars on here, posted the opposite view to you about being invited. So shove that in yer pipe n smoke it.
Old 01-08-2012, 16:38   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Oh n heres summat i forgot to add, Perhaps theres a bit of guilt in yer rant? seeing how yeh are the reason the time of meeting was changed.
Old 01-08-2012, 16:59   #38
Senior Member+

Dusty, I'm astonished at your reaction to the posters on this thread.I've been following it and like the posters was feeling sorry for your father who was obviously feeling left out of a project where his knowledge would have been invaluable.
Every post has been supportive of him and unhappy at how he felt he and Mrs.Turner had been treated.
If you briefed him after the meeting either you didn't explain the position to him properly or he didn't understand.
Either way, I think you should be thanking the posters for their full hearted support of him. The fact that their comments were based on misinformation was hardly their fault.
If anyone should be 'appalled and offended' it should be them.
If you have any grace about you would apologise!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 17:07   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Dusty, I'm astonished at your reaction to the posters on this thread.I've been following it and like the posters was feeling sorry for your father who was obviously feeling left out of a project where his knowledge would have been invaluable.
Every post has been supportive of him and unhappy at how he felt he and Mrs.Turner had been treated.
If you briefed him after the meeting either you didn't explain the position to him properly or he didn't understand.
Either way, I think you should be thanking the posters for their full hearted support of him. The fact that their comments were based on misinformation was hardly their fault.
If anyone should be 'appalled and offended' it should be them.
If you have any grace about you would apologise!
Think you'll be waiting a long time for that Gordon, maybe 12 months for his next visit
Old 01-08-2012, 17:09   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
Jaysay - Miles Parkinson has responded quickly to my e-mail. He has passed my message to the Member Servcies Manager so that she can "address any matters which need resolving and make sure everyone with initial ideas are included."
As I said before Judith, Cllr. Parkinson will have been quite aware of what was being said on here well before your Email, believe me
Old 01-08-2012, 17:25   #41
I am Banned

I have seen councillor Dwyer twice, once at the Haworth, when Jennie Rennie launched her book on the Tiffany Collection, when I over heard her make some comments about the Accrington Pals, for which I corrected her later, she said she was on the committe of the Civic Soc, she then asked my name and address, next time I saw her was outside Home and Bargain, when she said hello, and she would be in touch.
I know about those Blue Peter sticky tape ideas, quite a lot of what you know has originated with Bill & me, we discussed the 100th back in 2006, when we did the Haworth & the Ossy Mills displays

I have never refused to attend any meetings because I've never been asked, yet they invite the bogus Pals experts.
If I do get invited they will get a right mouthfull about these so called Pals experts, who can only parrot Bill Turners books. If thats the limit of their knowledge on the Pals then what good are they. After Bills book was published we found enough information for another book, but Bill died too soon

Last edited by Retlaw; 01-08-2012 at 17:34.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 17:48   #42
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think you'll be waiting a long time for that Gordon, maybe 12 months for his next visit
Think you'll find he's a she, John.
Old 01-08-2012, 17:54   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Think you'll find he's a she, John.
a well that figures
Old 02-08-2012, 07:19   #44
Senior Member+

I'm not in the least appalled or offended by dusty's rant. Sticks and stones may break my bones....etc etc etc.

If she's any sort of reasonable person she'll realise that we were acting on Walter's behalf who clearly felt badly done to, and if its all down to a misunderstanding, then its good that we've managed to get it sorted. Without the "usual, negative, snidey nonsense from the usual posters" the problem would have gone unresolved.

Miles has acted perfectly properly by ensuring the Council "addresses any matters which need resolving and makes sure everyone with initial ideas are included."
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:41   #45
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty mears View Post

Doing nothing achieves nothing and that's not an option. So constructive input and comment welcome to make the centenary a success. It's easy to sit a criticise. Actually doing something constructive and contributing requires a little more effort !
Well, we could have a re-enactment of the war on the coppice, Walter can represent the Pals and you can be a German Sniper, I think we would get an idea of the atmosphere of hate that was spread over those killing fields back then.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..