Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2015, 20:08   #31
Senior Member+

Re: E Cigarettes on NHS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
My point really was that NHS money could be better spent for conditions that are not self inflicted.
So no NHS for smokers, overweight people, diabetics, bulimia sufferers,drinkers, drug takers, people who climb mountains and fall off, careless drivers who have an accident, children who didn't look both ways before they stepped into the road etc, etc.

Well yes, that would save money but haven't most of them contributed to the NHS? Without their contribution would there be an NHS for you?
And are you sure you'll never need NHS help for a condition you inflicted on yourself? You've never carelessly cut yourself, tripped up by not looking where you're walking? And never will?

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 20-08-2015 at 20:14.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-08-2015, 20:47   #32
Full Member+

Accidents are accidents they are not the same at all.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 20:49   #33
Beacon of light

No....accidents are usually caused by someone taking risks...not considering the dangers or simply being careless......and therefore self inflicted...the only true accidents are where someone else has caused the problem by their carelessness...and you have got injured.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 20:51   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Accidents are accidents they are not the same at all.
So we'll cover the children, maybe even the careless drivers. The rest of them- tough?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 21:27   #35
Full Member+

If the NHS money was a bottomless pot it would be a different tale but for me when I read of children,some with life threatening illnesses, being denied treatment because there is not enough funding and then the idea of the E cigarettes is mentioned it does not seem right.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 07:57   #36
Senior Member+

Even if I could get a £50+ machine with variable voltage,large tank and flashing lights,I do not want a Dr telling me what strength of liquid or flavour I can have.
However,I've developed a predicted addiction to cannabis,fine whiskey and luxury food,I admit that I'm a junkie when it comes to these things,and I look forward to when I can get my fix for as little as £8.....and then I'll happily be dictated too from Dr's

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 20:39   #37

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I predict 10-20yrs down the line folk will be getting the same illnesses from these electric devices as they do with tobacco.
So first of all you predict mouth, lung, throat, bladder and kidney cancer, emphysema and chronic breathing/bronchitis problems for e-cig users…..with zero evidence or fact.
Quote:
The best way to quit is "cold turkey" as Margaret mentioned in the benefits thread.
Then you make a statement about ‘cold turkey’ which a) you have no experience of and b) the facts and figures do not back up (and another rollseyes)

Me, started over 40 years ago at 13 because of peer pressure… tried cutting down, said I’d give up when they got to a £1 a packet/£2 a packet etc.. done the cold turkey a few times in the past and once lasted 2 years before I regressed….problem is that once you’ve had a fag and become an addict…that taste and feeling NEVER goes away and you are always one moment of weakness away from lighting up again.

I’m currently on my third year fag free because of a post on this forum about e cigs from Flashy (btw thanks xx)

Normally I smell smoke and I feel like retching.. but just occasionally it smells oh so sweet (especially when I’m on the beer)….but I got my plastic fag to stuff in my mouth and that feeling goes away.

I have one of these ‘grown up dummys’ in my gob more often than I used to have an actual fag…but I can’t remember the last time I coughed other than to clear my throat, my breathing and taste are better, when I exercise my heart and pulse rate are normal for my age and I’ve just passed my annual health MOT with flying colours.

They work, just like antibiotics, antipsychotics and antihistamines….so why shouldn’t they be classed as a medication and therefore prescribed?
Old 21-08-2015, 21:01   #38
Beacon of light

My husband gave up the fags using cold turkey, but he will freely admit that it was the hardest thing he has ever done.....And you are right, it fails far more often than it succeeds.
Well done for giving up the ciggies....and however you did it, it is still an achievement.

I do not subscribe to the idea that using e.cigs might encourage people to convert to the coffin nails.....or that using them normalises smoking cigarettes.
I am all for any method which increases the chance of a smoker to kick the tobacco habit.
Old 21-08-2015, 22:38   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
So first of all you predict mouth, lung, throat, bladder and kidney cancer, emphysema and chronic breathing/bronchitis problems for e-cig users…..with zero evidence or fact.

Then you make a statement about ‘cold turkey’ which a) you have no experience of and b) the facts and figures do not back up (and another rollseyes)

Me, started over 40 years ago at 13 because of peer pressure… tried cutting down, said I’d give up when they got to a £1 a packet/£2 a packet etc.. done the cold turkey a few times in the past and once lasted 2 years before I regressed….problem is that once you’ve had a fag and become an addict…that taste and feeling NEVER goes away and you are always one moment of weakness away from lighting up again.

I’m currently on my third year fag free because of a post on this forum about e cigs from Flashy (btw thanks xx)

Normally I smell smoke and I feel like retching.. but just occasionally it smells oh so sweet (especially when I’m on the beer)….but I got my plastic fag to stuff in my mouth and that feeling goes away.

I have one of these ‘grown up dummys’ in my gob more often than I used to have an actual fag…but I can’t remember the last time I coughed other than to clear my throat, my breathing and taste are better, when I exercise my heart and pulse rate are normal for my age and I’ve just passed my annual health MOT with flying colours.

They work, just like antibiotics, antipsychotics and antihistamines….so why shouldn’t they be classed as a medication and therefore prescribed?

Firstly,congratulations on kicking your habit ('not illness').
Now,I personally don't see how being a smoker should be classed as being medically ill so I fail to see why these Ecigs should be deemed as (tax funded) medicine.They are simply a way that a nicotine addict can get a slightly healthier fix iny eyes.

To my awareness,No real long term studies have been conducted on these different types of devices/liquids so any claims and figures are nothing more than educated guess work.
I may be wrong but,I think it's more about generating lost revenue and controlling the market than caring for folk.

On a aside, I've just read the packet my Eliquid came in and its says "if swallowed call the poison centre" that's not really advice you'd expect to see on a harmless,non toxic product is it?

Personally,I don't trust the medical industry anymore than I trust the guy in the local pub with his bag full of dodgey tobacco....

...If you find any of the above incoherent please tell me which bits your struggling to comprehend and I'll try simplify it for you (rolleyes x2)

password--Accyweb
Old 22-08-2015, 08:30   #40

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Firstly,congratulations on kicking your habit ('not illness').
Now,I personally don't see how being a smoker should be classed as being medically ill so I fail to see why these Ecigs should be deemed as (tax funded) medicine.They are simply a way that a nicotine addict can get a slightly healthier fix iny eyes.

To my awareness,No real long term studies have been conducted on these different types of devices/liquids so any claims and figures are nothing more than educated guess work.
I may be wrong but,I think it's more about generating lost revenue and controlling the market than caring for folk.

On a aside, I've just read the packet my Eliquid came in and its says "if swallowed call the poison centre" that's not really advice you'd expect to see on a harmless,non toxic product is it?

Personally,I don't trust the medical industry anymore than I trust the guy in the local pub with his bag full of dodgey tobacco....

...If you find any of the above incoherent please tell me which bits your struggling to comprehend and I'll try simplify it for you (rolleyes x2)
Actually most of it is incoherent…(it usually is when you manage to refrain from copy/pasting someone elses work and try to pass it off as your own)

It’s incoherent because:-

a) It’s not a habit, it’s an addiction
b) Other smoking substitutes are already given on prescription, and earlier posts have alluded to the cost effectiveness of these
c) My liquid says ‘seek medical advice if swallowed’ probably because we don’t really have walk in poison centres in this country…I’d suggest you stop buying dodgy Chinese liquid from that guy in the pub, it’s clearly addling your thought processes
d) Your argument about not being ‘medically ill’ fails because not all tax funded prescription treatments are given because of illness (the guy who needs pain killers for a sports injury….or antibiotics for someone who gets an infection from a rusty nail whilst mooching around a dilapidated building)

’As an aside’…the eye drops I use for my occasional dry eye also says seek medical advice if swallowed, and every single medication from Anadin to Zantac has side effects and toxicity.

Because of your mistrust of the medical industry can I assume that you do not use doctors, hospitals, have eye tests or visit the dentist? If, however, you do use these, should I then assume that you mistrust the advice you receive and ignore it.
Old 22-08-2015, 09:06   #41
Senior Member+

Does anyone know if:-
A: Ecigs are excluded from the smoking in cars with kids ban?
B: Can you smoke Ecigs on public transport?

password--Accyweb
Old 22-08-2015, 12:04   #42
God Member

Quote:
yes you can vape on public transport but common decency would suggest that you wouldnt or if the bus company puts up no vaping signs and makes a request for them not to be used as it is their bus and their rules while on them

you can vape in pubs

you can vape on hospital grounds but not inside hospitals but thats not law thats a request or condition set out by the hospital.You wont get fined but will be asked to stop it or leave

you can vape in your car

because it isnt smoking and the law is a no smoking law

theres something gong on in the EU about e-cigs but its not really about health issues its trying to find a way to tax the hell out of it like they do fags instead of the standard VAT which is a lot less than the tax and vat on fags

jack straw is or at least was working with a local company to stop the EU classing them as a tobbacco product or something

lets put it in terms anti smokers will understand - if roy castle had been breathing in e-cig vapour through his trumpet he would most likely still be alive or certainly not dead from cancer

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 22-08-2015 at 12:08.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 16:20   #43
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Actually most of it is incoherent…(it usually is when you manage to refrain from copy/pasting someone elses work and try to pass it off as your own)

It’s incoherent because:-

a) It’s not a habit, it’s an addiction
b) Other smoking substitutes are already given on prescription, and earlier posts have alluded to the cost effectiveness of these
c) My liquid says ‘seek medical advice if swallowed’ probably because we don’t really have walk in poison centres in this country…I’d suggest you stop buying dodgy Chinese liquid from that guy in the pub, it’s clearly addling your thought processes
d) Your argument about not being ‘medically ill’ fails because not all tax funded prescription treatments are given because of illness (the guy who needs pain killers for a sports injury….or antibiotics for someone who gets an infection from a rusty nail whilst mooching around a dilapidated building)

’As an aside’…the eye drops I use for my occasional dry eye also says seek medical advice if swallowed, and every single medication from Anadin to Zantac has side effects and toxicity.

Because of your mistrust of the medical industry can I assume that you do not use doctors, hospitals, have eye tests or visit the dentist? If, however, you do use these, should I then assume that you mistrust the advice you receive and ignore it.
I also have a 'healthy' mistrust of the medical profession. This is because I know that those in the medical profession do NOT know everything and they can be wrong. It is up to me and no one else to make sure I put my health first....after all who else could be trusted with something so very precious.
I will research the background of drugs if I am prescribed them, though so far I have not needed to take anything other than antibiotics.
I do not take things on face value.....I seek out as much information as possible, information is armour.
Old 22-08-2015, 16:32   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Yeh cant smoke em in some pubs fact, Greyhound fer one.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 22-08-2015, 17:43   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh cant smoke em in some pubs fact, Greyhound fer one.

i suppose its landlords descression but it isnt backed up by law

if a landlord says i cant i move to the next pub that says i can but havnt had the problem yet

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 22-08-2015 at 17:45.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..