Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2016, 20:17   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Yorkshire Bank in Accrington to Close

It is ok Frank. No smacked hands.
It is all a bit of a shock for everyone.....and a facer for the town.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-04-2016, 20:25   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It is ok Frank. No smacked hands.
It is all a bit of a shock for everyone.....and a facer for the town.
Is it really a shocker?
Surely a bigger shocker than a bank/building society moving for profit is PPI?

Yet another dodgy deal they have been involved with. However even though they must have records of whom they ripped off they only have to pay out IF you apply to get it back.

Honesty and banks, convenience and banks?

No profit and banks that's all they believe in.

Suffer it.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 20:35   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Even worse for me, the Impostas closed.
The coffee shop ?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 20:51   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
The coffee shop ?
yep wadey
Old 14-04-2016, 21:33   #20
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Is it really a shocker?
Surely a bigger shocker than a bank/building society moving for profit is PPI?

Yet another dodgy deal they have been involved with. However even though they must have records of whom they ripped off they only have to pay out IF you apply to get it back.

Honesty and banks, convenience and banks?

No profit and banks that's all they believe in.

Suffer it.
Yes, Less....it is a shock.
The Yorkshire Bank has always seemed to be one of the smaller banks.....a bit more personal.
And yes, they did start the trick that the big banks try.......selling you financial products that you neither want or need.....but once told that I did not want to have financial products promoted.....that I was more than capable of seeking out the services that I required, they stopped doing it.
It always seemed that bit more friendly. Not quite as stuffed shirt-ish.
It has been part of my life for a long time now.
I did not expect the branch to close as it always seems busy when I have gone in.......and until today there was a sign up telling those whose local branches in the town were closing, to bring their accounts to The Yorkshire.

I have two options.
I can do as you say - suffer it, or I can change banks.
I have arrived at that time of life when change is very unsettling. So I guess I will stick with it.......and visit the branch in Blackburn as little as possible.
Old 14-04-2016, 22:09   #21
God Member

The problem with switching banks is that you have to try and pick one that isnt going to leave town or you may find yourself having to switch again

it may be a good idea to ring the local news paper before opening a new account as they get to nkow things way before customers do
maxthecollie likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 06:33   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Dont worry about switching Margaret, i had to in December (first time in my life) i was bothered also, but all for nowt, The bank i chose ( for the service i needed) sorted everything out set up my direct debits etc in fact everything and it was seamless.
Old 15-04-2016, 06:56   #23
Beacon of light

Cashy, you are probably the holder of a passport or some other form of photo ID.
I am not. I do not need a passport......I have not driven for 13 years so my driving licence is an old green and white paper one.
I know that you have to provide ID as a hedge against fraud and money laundering......but I don't want to change. I have been happy with the bank, I have not been ripped off with PPI.......I would not know who to choose.......and I have become resistant to, and irritated by forced change.
Those who choose to change will see the change from a different viewpoint, but those who have been forced to change(by circumstance) may not feel as relaxed about it.

My main concerns were for Ma and her savings account(she still has a dark blue leather like savings book) but when I went in yesterday I was reassured that this could be converted into a simple current account. This would be far easier for Ma to pay her bills from.
Now all I have to do is convince her of this fact.
This will be akin to getting an audience with the Pope. The good thing is I do have until the end of August to sort it.(I like a challenge)
Old 15-04-2016, 07:04   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

They never asked for me passport, i just produced my driving licence.bank statement etc. i also didn't want to change, just had no choice.
Old 15-04-2016, 07:13   #25
Senior Member+

We switched to Nationwide yesterday and we were told it will all be over and done with in 7 working days.The standing orders and direct debits were all sorted by Nationwide. Any payments that are due in the 7 days will still be paid by the bank you are transferring from.There was no hassle at all.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 07:15   #26
Beacon of light

Cashy, if it was a photo driving licence then that replaces a passport...you have to have one or the other. I have neither.
Old 15-04-2016, 07:36   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Cashy, you are probably the holder of a passport or some other form of photo ID.
I am not. I do not need a passport......I have not driven for 13 years so my driving licence is an old green and white paper one.
I know that you have to provide ID as a hedge against fraud and money laundering......but I don't want to change. I have been happy with the bank, I have not been ripped off with PPI.......I would not know who to choose.......and I have become resistant to, and irritated by forced change.
Those who choose to change will see the change from a different viewpoint, but those who have been forced to change(by circumstance) may not feel as relaxed about it.

My main concerns were for Ma and her savings account(she still has a dark blue leather like savings book) but when I went in yesterday I was reassured that this could be converted into a simple current account. This would be far easier for Ma to pay her bills from.
Now all I have to do is convince her of this fact.
This will be akin to getting an audience with the Pope. The good thing is I do have until the end of August to sort it.(I like a challenge)
I know what it's like with the oldies.If my old dear needs to change bank I will have to do it as she never goes out, only for her pacemaker check up. My mum has been with yorkshire bank sine she was a child and she is 90 this year.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 08:37   #28

I joined Yorkshire bank some 30 years ago when I worked at Platts.it was handy to nip down at lunchtimes, when I retired I joined Santander and they did all the legwork to transfer my account. It was the best thing I could have done and now they have the
123 account it is even better, next door to new bus station also.I would recommend them.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 09:18   #29
Beacon of light

Thanks Big Dave......but they have recently had security problems with their ATM's.

I am not changing right now...sometimes it is better to wait and see.
If I can get along using the online banking service.....without much need to having to go to the branch in Blackburn then that will do for me. If there prove to be problems with this option, then I will have to rethink the situation.
Old 15-04-2016, 09:20   #30
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I know what it's like with the oldies.If my old dear needs to change bank I will have to do it as she never goes out, only for her pacemaker check up. My mum has been with yorkshire bank sine she was a child and she is 90 this year.
Exactly the same with my Mum Frank. She is 89 this year and has been with the Yorkshire since she was a girl........I think between us we have clocked up over 120 years of patronage.
Ma only gets out for medical appointments these days too.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..