Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2012, 14:48   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Wimbledon Match Thread

Half Time 1-0 cmon the reds.
Old 29-09-2012, 15:36   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

2-0 Murphy....................................
Old 29-09-2012, 15:37   #18

Right, that's it. Keep possession, make Wimbledon chase the ball until they are run ragged, we've got the players with the temperament to do it.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 15:47   #19
God Member

get in there Reds

Last edited by maccawozzagod; 29-09-2012 at 15:50.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 15:52   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

1-2 in injury time. all over
Old 29-09-2012, 15:59   #21

When do you think other clubs will start looking at us as seriously tough opposition to beat? I quite like the current position of just quietly picking up points without anyone seeming to have noticed, especially amongst the media.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 16:01   #22
God Member

Never hopefully

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 16:13   #23

Strangely, Sky sports have just given out the result as a 2-1 win for Wimbledon and shown Stanley down in about 9th in the table on 14 points.
Larry Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 16:25   #24
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lobster View Post
Strangely, Sky sports have just given out the result as a 2-1 win for Wimbledon and shown Stanley down in about 9th in the table on 14 points.
They were having problems most of the afternoon apparently, but have a look here.

League Two Football League Table from Football.co.uk

Enough to make a grown man snivel
Old 29-09-2012, 16:40   #25
God Member

I was watching the BBC live deeley and the Sky one - both were knackered for some reason and showing incorrect results/tables. For the entire 2nd half we were joint second rather than 4th. Either way we were ending up 4th but joint second sounds better
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 17:09   #26
Senior Member+

Great result,look forward to hearing from those who went
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 17:13   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Never hopefully
Except for the people of Accrington. It's their loss, though; they're missing something very special.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 17:54   #28
God Member

Wow- fantastic Stanley.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 19:10   #29

Not a vintage footballing performance from the Reds today, but one of real industry and character.

MOM for me was Joyce, countless interceptions in front of the back four; Molyneaux excellent at left-back; Atkinson towering at centre-half; Rommy box-to-box; Paddy as pugnacious as ever; Bavs once more solid and calm.

The game was fairly even. I want Wimbledon to survive and thrive after all they've done to defy that awful history-theft, but they looked bereft of confidence whilst Stanley worked tremendously hard when they didn't have the ball. The Dons did a lot of probing but made little impression.

Stanley's first was a neat, lobbed finish from Paddy, but Wimbledon came back and forced a fine save from Bavs, who got down low to his left, before they had a goal disallowed for offside.

The second-half saw Stanley soak up quite a bit of pressure, it helped that Wimbledon's delivery of set-pieces was poor, but not to take any credit away from the way that Stanley kept their shape and their nerve when under pressure. No one was diving into tackles, just working hard to close down space.

And then came Murph's goal. Soon after, the Ultras were declaring: "Where were you when Murphy scored?" Well, he's been bafflingly prolific recently, but nothing prepared us for this - a shot on the turn from the edge of the box that screamed into the top corner. It's worth staying up to watch on the BBC tonight - promise. After a moment like that, it was difficult to believe that it wasn't going to be Stanley's day.

That said, we conceded a soft goal with three minutes remaining and then survived a penalty appeal when one of theirs went down in the box chasing a through ball. On the away end, we were all holding our collective breath. We've seen them given often enough, but the ref held his nerve.

This wasn't a performance that will have the home fans drooling about our forward play like they did at Chesterfield. But this win was hard-fought and showed that Leam and Cooky have been drilling the lads on some fundamentals: keeping shape, closing down, working hard off the ball to provide an outlet for the man in possession. We have every reason to be modestly hopeful about what might emerge as the season progresses.

Have a good evening everyone

Phil
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 20:55   #30
Senior Member+

Well what a trip today.

After Torquay and Morecambe my favourite away day.

Thought the Wombles bossed a large part of possession but we looked superb on the break, and scored 2 of our 4 chances. Atkinson and Molyneux where magnificent. They had to resort to attacking down the Right Wing in the second half as Lee was THAT good, for me was MOM.

PRIORITY for me is to extend Atkinson's loan for as long as possible, for me personally he is the man keeping things tight at the back. Another mention for Murphy who at last is getting a run in his best position at center back, and is taking full advantage of it............. WHAT a goal it was

Boco again looked the man to create something special, with Hatfield setting up Podge to score again........ Well done Podge lad Whichelow didnt look up to much and maybe Miller will come in on Tuesday, great to see George back on the bench Anyone know how bad Clarke's injury is???

All in all BRILLIANT day out
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..