Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2004, 19:48   #1
Senior Member+

Our Market Hall up for grabs.

I cannot believe what I am reading ... that the Council are offering our Market Hall to be SOLD - they intend to keep the freehold but give a lease of 125 years to an "investment partner"
JUST WHAT IS GOING ON AT HYNDBURN COUNCIL??????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Website pictures 048.jpg (24.4 KB, 87 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-10-2004, 20:19   #2

Re: Our Market Hall up for grabs.

I've heard they are going to lease it to a graffiti collective.....sorry, had to do it! ;-)

Seriously - "HBC is the envy of many councils" - Britcliffe. Which councils pray tell - downtown Baghdad, shanty town Johannesburg...Burnley...ahem. The borough's finances are obviously not in the great shape that we are told they are.
Old 08-10-2004, 20:55   #3
God Member

What else do you do when you are strapped for cash - but sell off the family silver?
This is yet another example of Britcliffe and his cronies getting their snouts in the trough. It can hardly come as a surprise that this announcement follows the annoucement last week that Britcliffe had awarded himself a payrise - to £16,000 per year (plus expenses, and you can bet he won't scrimp on those!).

And wouldn't it be a fabulous coincidence, if, when this "Investment Partner" turns up, that there just happened to be places on the board for P. Britcliffe and N. Rix?
Old 08-10-2004, 22:32   #4
Senior Member+

The newspaper article says advertisements are due to be placed in the national press inviting bids for the Market Hall, which was built in 1869. It also says that "Hyndburn Council has over spent by nearly half-a-million pounds so far this year. It was also announced this week that the council is taking stock of its parks and open spaces so it can decide if some should be sold.
This is very serious stuff - can this be allowed to happen?
Old 08-10-2004, 22:41   #5
Resident Waffler

I'd like to think there is some way it could be stopped - but how?

Once they've sold off the market hall they will lose the income from the stall rents won't they? So doesn't that mean that in subsequent years they'll be even worse off?

How did these people get on the council? Did I vote for anybody who thinks this is a good idea? I hope not.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 08-10-2004 at 22:42. Reason: appalling spelling. Must be the hour.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 22:48   #6
Senior Member+

Let's boot all the bad councillors off the council and put some of our Accywebbers on instead. We certainly seem to have more sense!

(Seriously, how can we get rid of the bad ones - I know a "good guy" he could help to sort it all out).
Old 08-10-2004, 22:50   #7
Member.

Fight back. Pressure Groups and a united front in the National Press and a determined assault on the local arena. Find out where the moneys gone and promote a vote of no confidence in the local press. Strength in Numbers.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 22:51   #8
Senior Member+

Probably rent increases for small businesses ie stall holders, then when they have gone under they can lease it out to the big boys and when in a few years we have all gone the young kids will be our age and asking what ever happened to the old market hall?

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 22:52   #9
Resident Waffler

Needs somebody to organise that. Who's a good organiser?

Old 08-10-2004, 22:54   #10
Resident Waffler

I was referring to Doug's post.

I can forsee those stall rent rises to Basf. It doesn't bode well does it?

Old 08-10-2004, 23:07   #11
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
Probably rent increases for small businesses ie stall holders, then when they have gone under they can lease it out to the big boys and when in a few years we have all gone the young kids will be our age and asking what ever happened to the old market hall?
Too bloody true my friend.........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 08-10-2004, 23:25   #12
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Needs somebody to organise that. Who's a good organiser?
I'm sure Baz understood that willow.....
I would suggest that you canvas those on the site who would be interested in being involved in putting an end to this nonsense, then hold a meeting to see how this situation can be expressed on the local population the need to take action and how they can help and then try to bring in business interests who would be prepared to sponsor or fund your action.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 08-10-2004, 23:38   #13
Resident Waffler

Maybe tomorrow ............... I should be asleep now.

We didn't get very far with the Arndale Clock did we in spite of it making page one of Accy Observer as if it was already saved?

Maybe I'm just feeling cynical because it's late and I should be in bed - got an early start tomorrow for a business meeting.

Old 08-10-2004, 23:42   #14
Member.

Good luck Willow. Nobody can say that you didn't try with the clock and I'm sure you and those others involved hold the respect of the rest of us.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 09-10-2004, 07:15   #15
God Member

Right troops, If you are as p*ssed off with all this nonsense as I am then here is the first thing that we must all do.

Write to your councillor, tell him/her that you are aware of the proposals to sell off council assets, tell them that you object to the proposals. If you are stuck for words feel free to help yourself to any of the ideas expressed by me in various threads here .

Make two copies of the letter send one to your councillor and one to the Editor of the Observer.

Do it now! Time is of the essence and delay will only make matters worse.

From reading various reports on the HBC website, it seems clear that this scheme has it's origin within Scaitcliffe House and Hyndburn First. It strikes me that the time has come for a public call for resignations.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..