Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2004, 18:04   #31
God Member

Re: Our Market Hall up for grabs.

Interesting figures, you might also add tax, insurance and other administrative overheads to the total. Whichever way you look at it Tealeaf, it is a really BAD idea and one that will destroy the current make up of the Market Hall traders. When it comes to the point where they are in business just to pay the rent, what will be the point of carrying on?

They will do what many traders have done before them and take their business elsewhere.
This ridiculous scheme is going to be the ruin of our town centre
Old 13-10-2004, 20:25   #32
Senior Member+

Just look at Burnley Market, went Private 5yrs ago, now nearly empty...........

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 21:13   #33
God Member

Precisely, the rents there are ridiculous, which is bad enough, but there are also restrictions on the kind of businesses that they will permit.
Old 14-10-2004, 05:17   #34

If all our assumptions are correct, and T's numbers make sense. Just what do HBC get out of it?

I think the answer is the last 4 words of the last sentence! And they would have another burden lifted from their overburdened budget!

Never mind the people....they don't count!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2004, 16:44   #35
God Member

Here's from tonight's Telegraph...

Ambitious plans for market hall
HYNDBURN'S council leader today set out his vision for the future of the town's market hall.

Councillor Peter Britcliffe revealed plans that could see the upper floors of the Victorian hall opened to the public. And flood lighting could one day be used to show off the architecture of the building.

The council are hoping to attract an investment partner to shoulder the financial burden of upgrading the town centre building.

Now Coun Britliffe is inviting investors to come forward with plans, to be considered by refurbishments to the market hall without outside investment.

The market hall makes the council the council.

He said: "It's a wonderful opportunity with the market hall. We have got this absolutely fantastic market building.

"We could do wonderful things with flood lighting and stone cleaning.

"There are also the balcony areas, and a chance of creating art work or a public restaurant. There is so much possibility there that it could be a real draw for Accrington."

But Coun Britcliffe today revealed the council would be unable to carry out any major a profit each year, but the cash-strapped authority, which could be facing another cash crisis this year, does not have the funds to carry out the much-needed work on the building.

Coun Britcliffe met with traders this week to discuss the plans.

He said: "We would love to put a million pounds in but I don't think the council tax payer would appreciate the 33 per cent hike in tax that would go with it.

"We could make this market hall a great attraction for this borough. We are saying come forward with your ideas -- what could you do for this building to make sure it is a success in the 21st century?"

But market traders have revealed they are sceptical, and will consider campaigning against the move.

Well, I said a million last night and now it looks like that's the investment that Britcliffes talking about. For the benefit of any market traders on here, I stand by the rest of the figures, re:rent increases. Stay sceptical lads, and make sure this scheme does not go ahead in this PFI - style format. There are other, more effective ways of undertaking the neccessary redevelopment of the Market Hall.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 14-10-2004 at 16:47.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 14:41   #36
Give, give, give member

On walking through the Market Hall today, I noticed a lot of the stalls had posters up protesting against the sell off.

According to press releases from the Council the stall holders are all for the Market Hall being sold off.

Someones not telling the truth.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 15:13   #37
Resident Waffler

At least one stall has a petition going.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 15:24   #38
Resting in Peace

Hmmmmmmmmmmm I see this has raised it ugly head again.
Reminds me of when I worked on the buses and the Council of the day said "Don't worry your jobs will be safe!!!!" What they didn't tell us until too late to fight was that we would have a pay cut and an increase in working hours!!

Looks like we're gonna have to form pressure groups asap again
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 20:30   #39
God Member

Apparently, the stall holders, to a man, object to the selling off of the Market Hall. They held a meeting and even the most staunch Conservative supporters amongst them said that they would never vote for a Conservative local Councillor again! They feel like they've been sold out and they are very unhappy.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 23:00   #40
God Member

Will the council never learn? If they sell the Market Hall that is another bit of whats left of Accy down the drain. What is it with HBC and its selling craze its as though they want to sell everything. What will be next the Town Hall and the council its self up for sale. Mind you HBC could try and sell its self on Ebay and get no bids as they seem to be worthless.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 15:50   #41
Give, give, give member

According to this week's Observer, HBC have done a complete U-turn and aren't selling off the Market Hall.

Hurrah for common sense.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 17:57   #42
God Member

Quote:
Just look at Burnley Market, went Private 5yrs ago, now nearly empty...........

Something doesn't make sense, because our market(open air, in the square) was recently taken over by a private managment company. since then it's gone even further down hill.
Why do these companies buy in, then just let the market loose all it's trade and stalls. ?
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 18:02   #43
God Member

By the way that market hall is beautiful and is the best looking market hall I've ever seen, it should be full of life, should have a cafe like the arndale and that clock should be in there. It should already be uplit, its one of your best buildings, that should come under tourism and leisure. Can't you get sponsorship for lighting a cafe and to fit the clock? don't the companies sponsor anything there, Whats about that catalogue company?. most of our projects are funded by the public donating, businesses donating or town council, thas the lowest local level of council with the least budget.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..