Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2014, 20:45   #6811
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Today in Pictures, Shoe Mill, the short version.

1. A right turn here takes us to the site of the old Infection Hospital.
2. The Larch are getting ready now the temperatures are getting better.
3. The old infection hospital site, no definite buildings remain, but this is the base of some long gone building on the hospital site.
4. Tumbling down hill, this is the wall that used to keep the railway separate.
5. Shoe Mill site, and the base of the factory chimney.
6. The whole area is littered with bits of walls, piles of long gone buildings, but it doesn't give you a feel of how the area used to be heavily populated with industry, and even a coal mine. I have looked for evidence of a shaft but nothing remains.
7. It's wet, so I must be doing it right.
8."Five Arches"
9. Moss at the sharp end of Macro.
10. Just to finish off, a wet bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _1050378.JPG (420.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg _1050389.JPG (402.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg _1050397.JPG (497.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1050403.JPG (463.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg _1050413.JPG (413.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg _1050429.JPG (457.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg _1050443.JPG (447.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg _1050483.JPG (441.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg _1050494.JPG (491.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _1050516.JPG (431.7 KB, 8 views)
shillelagh, Eric, walker and 5 others like this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-03-2014, 22:03   #6812
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I remember that Bull's head when I worked across road at Street Lighting and we have to go and fix things in the abbatoir
So you were a Mantle Squeezer. We had a few of them in the retained unit at Accrington.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 22:08   #6813
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
6. The whole area is littered with bits of walls, piles of long gone buildings, but it doesn't give you a feel of how the area used to be heavily populated with industry, and even a coal mine. I have looked for evidence of a shaft but nothing remains.
Shoe Mill Pit wasn't really a pit as such, it was a drift mine.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 00:18   #6814
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Shoe Mill Pit wasn't really a pit as such, it was a drift mine.
I've seen old pictures of it and if was just a hole in the ground with a ladder down to the coal, no pit head gear or stuff like that, no such thing as elf n safety
Old 11-03-2014, 10:37   #6815

Quote:

1. A right turn here takes us to the site of the old Infection Hospital.
2. The Larch are getting ready now the temperatures are getting better.
3. The old infection hospital site, no definite buildings remain, but this is the base of some long gone building on the hospital site.
4. Tumbling down hill, this is the wall that used to keep the railway separate.
5. Shoe Mill site, and the base of the factory chimney.
7. It's wet, so I must be doing it right.
8."Five Arches"
9. Moss at the sharp end of Macro.
10. Just to finish off, a wet bit.
The lack of leaves helps the viewing of the ruins. It looks like Spring is well on the way for you! . Not so for us - 10-15 cm of snow forecast for tomorrow. Ah well, we'll really appreciate it when it arrives. Spring, that is, not the snow.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:17   #6816
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
The lack of leaves helps the viewing of the ruins. It looks like Spring is well on the way for you! . Not so for us - 10-15 cm of snow forecast for tomorrow. Ah well, we'll really appreciate it when it arrives. Spring, that is, not the snow.
We are having unusually high temperatures at the moment (for the season) the buds are bursting, spring flowers are out, crocus and daffs for the most part, the bluebells are just leaves at the present time. I have even spotted a couple of butterflies, but too flighty to get a good shot. Even the ground is drying out, it is no longer seeping through the lace holes, more a plasticine consistency. It might sound a bit crackers, but I was hoping for a bit of snow, just so I could get a few festive shots, we haven't even had much frost, so my frosty shots went out of the window as well. When you look at what other people have had though we have got off lightly.
Turtle likes this.
Old 11-03-2014, 16:04   #6817
God Member

Have just been having catch-up on the thread after an over-long absence - my like finger isn't working too well at the moment so I gave up after a while but please don't be offended - I DID like all the photos. I've had a bad flare-up of an old problem connected to an injury in my neck and am a bit KO still - not very pleasant as I'm suffering from nausea, vertigo and have a lot of pain in my right shoulder and problems using my arm! Have quite a few pics to share - I tried putting some into a sort of movie but am not clever enough to add music yet. Will see if I can post it on a separate thread as there are more than 10 shots on it and I don't want to get into bother Tomorrow morning -joy of joys- Fastweb have promised they are going to finally connect my home phone line and internet which will be a big help - we've only been living here for 4 months -how's that for service ...
davemac and Turtle like this.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 16:05   #6818
God Member

Margaret -am soooo envious that you went to see Michael Bublé. Turtle - thanks for your message -will write you a PM later!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 16:30   #6819
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Margaret -am soooo envious that you went to see Michael Bublé. Turtle - thanks for your message -will write you a PM later!
I wish you could have come with us Dianne...but I am sure I would have embarrassed you with my booty shaking. It was a great show......and packed. Getting the tickets was very very hard.
Hope you get better soon. It is not pleasant when you are incapacitated.
I hate not being able to do things.....having to ask for help.
mobertol likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 18:53   #6820
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Have just been having catch-up on the thread after an over-long absence - my like finger isn't working too well at the moment so I gave up after a while but please don't be offended - I DID like all the photos. I've had a bad flare-up of an old problem connected to an injury in my neck and am a bit KO still - not very pleasant as I'm suffering from nausea, vertigo and have a lot of pain in my right shoulder and problems using my arm! Have quite a few pics to share - I tried putting some into a sort of movie but am not clever enough to add music yet. Will see if I can post it on a separate thread as there are more than 10 shots on it and I don't want to get into bother Tomorrow morning -joy of joys- Fastweb have promised they are going to finally connect my home phone line and internet which will be a big help - we've only been living here for 4 months -how's that for service ...
Get well soon Dianne
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 19:20   #6821
Senior Member+

Glasson Dock today for Max n me.
1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG7.jpg8.JPG9.JPG10.JPG
1) Start and Finish
2) Glasson Dock
3) High and Dry
4) Is that what I think it is?
5) Wet and Muddy Bits
6) Young lambs
7) This mural is painted under an old railway bridge by the local school children.
8) Egret
9) Wet Bits
10) Is it a bird?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 19:59   #6822
Senior Member+

Here are todays pics -

1 & 2. A misty morning.
3 & 4. Saw lots of these today.
5. Someone forgot their straight edge.
6 - 8. A bit of greenery.
9. A soggy doggy.
10. Sunset on the canal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03208.jpg (497.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03213.jpg (497.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03217-Edit.jpg (495.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03218-Edit.jpg (497.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03223.jpg (498.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03227.jpg (495.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03228.jpg (488.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03229.jpg (492.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03239.jpg (488.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03279-Edit.jpg (496.8 KB, 6 views)
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 21:50   #6823
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Here are todays pics -

1 & 2. A misty morning.
3 & 4. Saw lots of these today.
5. Someone forgot their straight edge.
6 - 8. A bit of greenery.
9. A soggy doggy.
10. Sunset on the canal.
A misty morning, then a sunset, have you been out all day ?
Old 11-03-2014, 21:59   #6824

Two pics from today, and one from last week. It was nice and balmy today - it reached 10 degrees. What a tease!!! I swear I heard birds singing. They seem to know that better days are coming. The snow is old and dirty now - not to worry, there's another dump on its way tomorrow. That should freshen things up a bit!

1. Fifty shades of grey, plus a little red.
2. I've been wanting to get a snap of this poor tree for ages.
3. Last week's fresh snow blanket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50 shades.jpg (355.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Split.jpg (366.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Fresh Covering.jpg (322.3 KB, 8 views)
shillelagh, Eric, walker and 4 others like this.
Old 11-03-2014, 22:01   #6825

Quote:
We are having unusually high temperatures at the moment (for the season) the buds are bursting, spring flowers are out, crocus and daffs for the most part, the bluebells are just leaves at the present time. I have even spotted a couple of butterflies, but too flighty to get a good shot. Even the ground is drying out, it is no longer seeping through the lace holes, more a plasticine consistency. It might sound a bit crackers, but I was hoping for a bit of snow, just so I could get a few festive shots, we haven't even had much frost, so my frosty shots went out of the window as well. When you look at what other people have had though we have got off lightly.
You could have had some of ours, or come over to immerse yourself in some crispy wet bits! But seriously, I have really enjoyed watching your spring develop. It must be a treat after the wet summers you've had of late.
davemac likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..