Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2009, 15:37   #1

Chimney on rhyddings street

I mentioned this a few weeks ago on another thread, well anyway just been walking back from my dads and had a look at chimney, the top metal ring is hanging off would dread to think what would happen if that fell off and landed on somebody, plus its cracked all down the middle.Its more evident to see from the top of rhyddings street, i think i must be the only person thats noticed this, it really should be taken down because in my eyes its only a matter of time before something happens to it.
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-12-2009, 10:48   #2

Re: Chimney on rhyddings street

report it and tell local papers thhen maybe get something done about it but then again??
madmal_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 13:16   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob249 View Post
I mentioned this a few weeks ago on another thread, well anyway just been walking back from my dads and had a look at chimney, the top metal ring is hanging off would dread to think what would happen if that fell off and landed on somebody, plus its cracked all down the middle.Its more evident to see from the top of rhyddings street, i think i must be the only person thats noticed this, it really should be taken down because in my eyes its only a matter of time before something happens to it.
Is this the chimney, were shopfitters in that mill at one time. Fred Cooper and I repointed part of that chimney back in 1959, I don't think any one has touched it since. Those bands are held on with 3/4" whitworth bolts, some one will get a head ache if that band falls.
The clown hall should know who is responcible.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rhyddings St..JPG (136.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Rhyddings St.a.JPG (84.2 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 27-12-2009 at 13:20.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 13:42   #4
God Member

How tall is is it? - so that we can determine what area is at risk if it falls

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 14:31   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
How tall is is it? - so that we can determine what area is at risk if it falls
I think its about 150' tall, and by the look of it if the chimney fell it would be towards Charles St.
I took the picture from the top of Rhyddings St lookin down towards Union Rd.
Tried to find a place to photo from another angle but could'nt get a good place.

As you can see some of the brickwork is spauling and the crown above the top band looks bad.

Another couple of years of bad frosts and some of the top could be coming off.

Retlaw.
Old 27-12-2009, 14:42   #6

Its been getting worse these last few years but that band has only come away in the last week, they took some of it down a few years back, because it was leaning more then, only reason i noticed it was i worked in the mill about 10 years ago.The thing im worried about is that its the bricks that are cracked and not the mortar.I think if we get more snow and winds in next few weeks that band will come down, but i cant imagine it being safe to go up there in this weather to remove it.
Old 27-12-2009, 15:08   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Its been getting worse these last few years but that band has only come away in the last week, they took some of it down a few years back, because it was leaning more then, only reason i noticed it was i worked in the mill about 10 years ago.The thing im worried about is that its the bricks that are cracked and not the mortar.I think if we get more snow and winds in next few weeks that band will come down, but i cant imagine it being safe to go up there in this weather to remove it.
Because of its octagonal shape the broken band is being held in place by the other corners, but if there is more spauling, then the bricks could push
on the band enough to loosen it.

Then it could come down and probably some of the upper brickwork as well. From the look of it that band should be further up the chimney, and it has slid down and is resting on the band below.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 27-12-2009 at 15:11.
Old 27-12-2009, 15:17   #8

Yeah thats what i thought plus one of the bands came off a few years ago as you can clearly see on the picture.Who would be responsible for it or could the council take action as a matter of urgency.The top bricks look like theres no mortar left.
Old 27-12-2009, 16:58   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Yeah thats what i thought plus one of the bands came off a few years ago as you can clearly see on the picture.Who would be responsible for it or could the council take action as a matter of urgency.The top bricks look like theres no mortar left.
I think your first port of call would be the local clown hall, they are supposed to look after the wellfare and well being of the inhabitants of the borough.
They should then contact whoever the owner is and issue an order for either mantainance or demolition.

The council have shown how much care they have for the inhabitants, what with gritting and such.
It all depends on how much political capital he who thinks he must be obeyed, can make out of it.

Probably swear blind they have already got the problem in hand, you'l need a sweeping up brush & shovel handy for all the bull sh1te he'l come out with

Retlaw.
Old 27-12-2009, 17:48   #10
Resting in Peace

Try Cllr. Britcliffe, Rob ... details should be on yer calendar .. LOL.

Let him do the work, and let's see what he is made of ....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 20:45   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Try Cllr. Britcliffe, Rob ... details should be on yer calendar .. LOL.

Let him do the work, and let's see what he is made of ....
Is posing for the camera's and gobbin off to the press at every opportunity classed as work, what does he actually do that justifies his existance.

Retlaw.
Old 27-12-2009, 21:00   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Is posing for the camera's and gobbin off to the press at every opportunity classed as work, what does he actually do that justifies his existance.

Retlaw.
Well babes let's find out should we? Think this chimney is in his ward anyway. We suspect he regularly looks in here ... if not, sure our darling Jaysay will report to the Commander

Treat this as a test case ... I await with interest.

By the way .. well done Rob for the concern. x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 23:49   #13
Give, give, give member

If the council don't do anything we could ask the nearby cult to pray that no one is injured when it falls down.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 09:39   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Well babes let's find out should we? Think this chimney is in his ward anyway. We suspect he regularly looks in here ... if not, sure our darling Jaysay will report to the Commander

Treat this as a test case ... I await with interest.

By the way .. well done Rob for the concern. x
Leader
Old 30-12-2009, 10:37   #15

I think that band might fall off today its hanging off by a thread now its swung all way round to the other side now so if it falls then its going to go through the factory roof, but like retlaw said some of the top might come away.I would have took a picture but i dont have a camera.If you look from where tescos is you can see how bad it is now.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..