Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2009, 17:03   #31
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Chimney on rhyddings street

This is taken from the Rhyddings Conservation Area document on Hyndburn Borough Council's website
Quote:
Rhyddings Mill, Rhyddings Street, 1856, Grade II – 183911. Former cotton weaving mill. Coursed rubble, much of it rusticated, with Welsh slate roofs. The listed items consist of the principal warehouse and preparation block with weaving shed to rear, the works entrance and engine house adjacent to left, the chimney stack, and the front perimeter walls and two entrance lodges. Internally only the principal range and weaving sheds are of special interest: the warehouse was not fireproof, with timber floors and chamfered beams supported by iron cradles on piers of circular section with rudimentary moulded
capitals; similar columns to weaving sheds. Rhyddings Mill is an interesting example of a mid-19th century textile mill designed with considerable architectural pretensions as part of a larger-scale urban development consisting of employees' housing, speculative housing and the parish church. This was the first independent weaving mill in Oswaldtwistle, built by Watson Brothers, later Robert Watson & Sons, who also had a mill at Stonebridge, on the other side of the river. In 1930, the mill had 280 employees and 699 looms worked by a 270 hp beam engine; manufactured fabrics were mainly printers, dhooties, acconettes and dobby cloth. A second weaving shed was erected in 1951 and equipped with 250 electrically driven looms. Production ceased on the site in 1957.
So it looks like the chimney stack grade 2 listed.

Last edited by Neil; 30-12-2009 at 17:06.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-12-2009, 17:07   #32

all the bricks are cracked down the middle it was bad before buts its even worse now they took about foot 40 foot off the the top of it about 5 years ago, i dont know why they just didnt take it all down its not serving any purpose, but i guess its all down to money, if that band falls and hits someone its goodnight and godbless.
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 17:45   #33
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

they would have to get the garde 2 status taken off it to remove it. I am surprised they were allowed to take 40 foot off it. Then again the Council are a sack of you know what when it comes to this conservation area.

Nothing is being actively conserved by them. They don't even enforce planning requirements correctly. Just look at some of the windows and sky lights that are on the front of some of the houses.

I have already asked if the Park can be taken out of the conservation area. I even joked about how the Friends could sue the Council for not conserving the park within the conservation area
Old 30-12-2009, 18:51   #34
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
This is taken from the Rhyddings Conservation Area document on Hyndburn Borough Council's website

So it looks like the chimney stack grade 2 listed.
Its about time those idiots that grade things like
chimneys in need of demolition, were made to justify their existence, first off by paying for it, instead of forcing other people to mantain a pile of rubble.
I don't think the band will fly off because of its shape, it may jump the next band and slide down further, unless the opposite side snaps, then it will go with a bump. More than likely some of those loose bricks on the top course, which that band was supporting will fall first.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 20:50   #35

Im all for conservation and preserving history and heritage but if its dangerous then the only sensible thing is to take it down.I somehow doubt you would be saying this if it fell down on your house.
Old 30-12-2009, 22:13   #36

Im amazed at reading neils post, i could have kept my mouth shut and said nothing but because i think i was the only person thats been watching this chimney i could have said nothing and then get up one morning and put bbc news on and see chimney collapses in oswaldtwistle killing x number of people, never mind the flamin conservation when you can see its clearly dangerous, but if you want to live near to a dangerous building after being told then what can you do.At the end of the day even if its 150 years old its falling to bits everything comes to an end, if that chimney fell and killed somebody we wouldnt be talking about conservation.
Old 30-12-2009, 22:19   #37

It should all be pull down,but once more, what would it cost and who would pay for it when they say times are hard.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 23:01   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

It is in a conservation area so whoever owns it should be told they have to make it save and conserve the chimney. If they don't then the Council should carry out the work and take the owner to court to recover the costs.

If they are not prepared to do that then they should scrap the whole idea of conservation areas.
Old 30-12-2009, 23:04   #39
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard View Post
It should all be pull down,but once more, what would it cost and who would pay for it when they say times are hard.
Them as owns it.
A court order for its demolition
because it is dangerous, would not be
swayed by we can't afford it.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 23:07   #40

I know what your saying but i cant see whoever owns the factory forking out alot of money on repairing the chimney.
Old 30-12-2009, 23:32   #41
God Member

Sorry but am I missing something here? If the chimney is grade one, two or three listed surely whoever owns it knew that when they bought it? If you buy property that is listed are you not compelled to preserve it?
Old 30-12-2009, 23:38   #42
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
If you buy property that is listed are you not compelled to preserve it?
Exactly right and the Council should enforce the planning requirements for it
Old 30-12-2009, 23:38   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It is in a conservation area so whoever owns it should be told they have to make it save and conserve the chimney. If they don't then the Council should carry out the work and take the owner to court to recover the costs.

If they are not prepared to do that then they should scrap the whole idea of conservation areas.
The Grade II listing is nothing to do with the council's self imposed conservation area, which as you hinted at is the biggest crock of unconserved crap going, with no accurate conservation details, and certainly no power to stop people from doing what the hell they like, within the normal planning procedures, which are applicable everywhere.

I'm sure everyone agrees Rob did the right thing, highlighting something which looks dangerous.

People do die every year because of falling masonry etc, caused by storms.

If it looks even more precarious I think it would be a good idea to inform the police, that there is such potential danger on a busy residential street.

Let them find out who is responsible, or at least put up warning signs regarding any danger.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 23:41   #44
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The Grade II listing is nothing to do with the council's self imposed conservation area, which as you hinted at is the biggest crock of unconserved crap going, with no accurate conservation details, and certainly no power to stop people from doing what the hell they like, within the normal planning procedures, which are applicable everywhere.
They have powers, I just don't think they use/enforce them
Old 30-12-2009, 23:46   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
They have powers, I just don't think they use/enforce them
Probably cos it aint n easy option/soft target.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..