Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2009, 20:28   #46

Re: Jeanette Winterston - famous novelist

Here's the opening scene, young Jess running up Lee Road at Bacup, the bridge has now gone, the shop was on Farholme Lane Stacksteads
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2009-11-20-13h01m04s152.jpg (49.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2009-11-20-13h00m43s198.jpg (58.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2009-11-20-12h59m42s105.jpg (42.6 KB, 12 views)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-11-2009, 11:38   #47

Sorry I've muddled up my photos, this is Lee Road, Lee Mill, Bacup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2009-11-20-13h00m56s73.jpg (49.0 KB, 8 views)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 17:10   #48
Senior Member+

I read "Oranges..." and it was very good gave an insight to the girl I used to see regularly on the coppice walking a little Yorkshire Terrier, my brother Phil used to walk with her to School as he went to Accrington Grammer next to where she went and told stories about her being part of this strange Church where they healed people by faith and chanted etc. I tried to read her other Books but couldn't get into them.

I can understand how she feels about Accrington back in the 70's as I know the reaction we got when we got into punk rock, people didn't like it or get it, must have difficult to cope with her sexuality in Accy. However the book "Oranges..." does suggest her Mother was quite a positive influence on her, providing her with some challenges of life - she wasn't just slouching back on the couch bashing the bible supping holy water.

The link that has been posted to the Times article actually goes to a article dated; July 8th 2006, I don't know if they changed it?

Last time I came back to Accrington I did realise how it was positioned in quite a scenic position you get Pendle to the North, Whalley visible of the coppice it is a very green and pleasant area!

Nick Name a.k.a. Kestrel X

Last edited by kestrelx; 01-12-2009 at 17:14.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 17:45   #49
Give, give, give member

'The building is called the Gasworks, and I live in Gasworks Cottages, which is in one of the beautiful parts of the Cotswolds, but makes me feel like I am back home in Accrington in some industrial hovel.'
House restoration: the joy of wrecks - Times Online

Cheeky madam!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 19:15   #50
Senior Member+

But I cant help but admire her and what she has achieved in her lifetime.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 10:53   #51
God Member

She makes me puke. She has no love for the town whatsoever, so thank god she's gone and let's hope she never comes back. As for her books, they are fit for one thing only - bog paper.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 13:51   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Insolent cow, but still she can come n dig my back yard up in summer, save Paris a job.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:23   #53
Give, give, give member

'Accrington's ugly, she says. "When I went back there recently, I looked and all the cobbled streets had been tarmacced and, even worse, they'd taken up all the York stone pavements, so they've compounded ugliness. It was never a picture-postcard place, Accrington, but it had a reasonably harmonious architecture. Now, it's abysmal."
Profiles and Interviews, New Scientist, Carol Ann Duffy, The Field Interview, Vintage Living Texts, Le Monde, Wall Street Journal, The Times

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder.

Though I agree about the sad loss of our York stone pavements.

Many of which were bought by wealthy novelists, to make terraces at their London and Cotswold homes.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 14:58   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
She makes me puke. She has no love for the town whatsoever, so thank god she's gone and let's hope she never comes back. As for her books, they are fit for one thing only - bog paper.
Saw her driving along Hyndburn Road in her mini a few weeks before Christmas!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:47   #55
Senior Member+

Question Re: Jeanette Winterston - famous novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Saw her driving along Hyndburn Road in her mini a few weeks before Christmas!

Best Regards - Taggy
How do you know it was her for sure?
Old 06-02-2010, 13:30   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
How do you know it was her for sure?
Because my ex-wife used to go to Church with her, and i'd previously seen her in Asda on one of her visits here before, and she was in the same car as she was then!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 06-02-2010, 14:13   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Because my ex-wife used to go to Church with her, and i'd previously seen her in Asda on one of her visits here before, and she was in the same car as she was then!

Best Regards - Taggy
So perhaps she visits and has a drive round on the sly, they say the older you get, the stronger the desire to return to the place you were brought up becomes!
Old 06-02-2010, 15:44   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
So perhaps she visits and has a drive round on the sly, they say the older you get, the stronger the desire to return to the place you were brought up becomes!
Not sure why she still pops up here. She used to still visit her adopted dad from time to time, but i think he ended up in a nursing home and passed away last year i think. Perhaps there were still things to sort out after his passing. When we saw her in Asda a couple of years back, it was again just before xmas, and she was in the clothes section buying childrens clothes, i assume for friends children!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 09-03-2010, 21:08   #59
Resting in Peace

The film is on at 10.30 p.m tonight on BBC 4.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 22:48   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
The film is on at 10.30 p.m tonight on BBC 4.
...so there was I, having wandered back from the pub at 10.50 - an early night - switched on t'telly to watch an hour of CSI NewYork and what happened? I pressed the button for BBC4 by mistake and what did I get? Only this garbage. For the first ten minutes or so I couldn't make head nor tail of it and then I clicked on the guide.

So this was supposed to be late '60's Accy? Gob****e! Everything was wrong, rangeing from the architecture to the school - supposidly a primary school, but it looked like a secondary mod. to me. I see on the credits that it was adapted from the book by Mz. Winterton herself. Well, thank god I never read the book.

However, worse is to come...there's another episode on next week. I wonder how much this nonsense has cost the honest license fee payer? An absolute disgrace - shame on you, BBC.

Anyway, I've now got Mad Men on t'other channel. why can't the BBC make summat like this, instead of having to buy it in?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 09-03-2010 at 22:52.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..