Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2006, 07:04   #16
Super Moderator

Re: Jeanette Winterston - famous novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
If she had bad experiences with her family, she's transferred it all onto the town - totally understand it.
Well, I don't. I would have thought she was perceptive enough to see that her experiences with her family would have just been the same, even if she was growing up in Hampstead Heath and that it was nothing to do with Accrington.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:53   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
She wasn't negative about Accrington in an interview in the Observer the other Sunday. Strange.

Perhaps being exorcised in front of the congregation of her church, at the behest of her fanatical parents, coloured her judgement of that time.
With the greatest of respect Garinda, I just think you are attempting to justify this ladies ramblings with amateur psychology. It would appear this was an article she wrote specially for the Times, and had plenty of time to 'choose' her words.

I'm sure such a high-profile lady of literature could have selected a better adjective ? (sorry, never grammar my best subject) than 'awful'. Even Doug has sent us a lovely piece of poetry to express the shortfalls of our area.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:27   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Also, I think she now lives in America but I'm not sure about that.
She lives in trendy Spitalfields, a few hundred yards from where I'm writing this. I think she also has a pad in france. She is a chum of Tracey Emin; I used to see 'em togeather in a pub in the days when I was'nt lazy & used to walk home.

The interesting thing is that as well as banging out the odd article for the Times & the london Standard, she has a grocers shop, also in Spitalfields. It has all the trendy organic stuff in there, plus the old-fashioned preserves....plus sweets in a jar. In fact, it looks just like an Accy corner shop of the 1960's...odd that, init!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:34   #19
Super Moderator

That's because, deep down, she really loves Accy!
Old 11-07-2006, 08:38   #20
God Member

Aye....you can take the man out of Accy, but you can't take Accy out of the man (or woman...sorry girls)...
Old 11-07-2006, 08:42   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
With the greatest of respect Garinda, I just think you are attempting to justify this ladies ramblings with amateur psychology. It would appear this was an article she wrote specially for the Times, and had plenty of time to 'choose' her words.

I'm sure such a high-profile lady of literature could have selected a better adjective ? (sorry, never grammar my best subject) than 'awful'. Even Doug has sent us a lovely piece of poetry to express the shortfalls of our area.
I am not comparing myself with her, but we are of a similar age. Accrington wasn't probably the warmest of places for a teenage lesbian to grow up in the 60's and 70's, that's without all the evangelical mumbo jumbo that was hoisted upon her by her adopted parents. Like her, growing up I knew I would never be able to live in this part of the world and couldn't wait to escape to the big, anonymous capital. Happily I have a great, loving family and with marurity felt able to move back home.

I did briefly speak to her at a little soiree dahn the east end. We spoke of Lancashire we'd both grown up in and she wasn't negative in what she said to me.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:44   #22

She was on TV a couple of weeks ago on the ABC. It was the South Bank Show, with Melvin Bragg, Nothing good to say about Accy, but the shots of Accy were great, especialy from the Copice. She did'nt seem to comfortble being back there, I tend to agree with you Wyn. I dont think she would be saying , to quote Mez, I love Accy thats why I moved back.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:45   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
She lives in trendy Spitalfields, a few hundred yards from where I'm writing this. I think she also has a pad in france. She is a chum of Tracey Emin; I used to see 'em togeather in a pub in the days when I was'nt lazy & used to walk home.

The interesting thing is that as well as banging out the odd article for the Times & the london Standard, she has a grocers shop, also in Spitalfields. It has all the trendy organic stuff in there, plus the old-fashioned preserves....plus sweets in a jar. In fact, it looks just like an Accy corner shop of the 1960's...odd that, init!
I met her in Spitalfields and a party given by the artists Gilbert and George, who lived next door to my ex in Fournier Street.

She was ok but no one I'd ever befriend. I found her a little too dry.

Last edited by garinda; 11-07-2006 at 08:55.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:50   #24
Give, give, give member

The Observer article.
http://books.guardian.co.uk/paperbac...ticle_continue

Old 11-07-2006, 09:05   #25
I am Banned

Gee i think some of us had those spells of feelings i did i'suppose it maybe a youth thing i dont know, but i left Accy moved 10miles away because i saw no future for me here at 17, i certainly had issues with my own parents & overcoming bullying from school i felt pre-judged & thats being a straight person lol i had issues with people that yeh i blamed the town for my misery. I think its one of those things you do & say when you move out & life in new pastures was better for you to grow as an individual, its easy to blame the town because that seemed the only logical explanation. I certainly learned that any town/city/place can be awful certainly when bad things or misery happens to you - then you realise the reality that its people not place, i moved back as the town i moved to became the 'source' of more misery & realised Accy was much better as they say grass isnt always greener LOL

Hey-ho 6yrs later i return back home to good old Accy worried that old feelings about me being back was gonna be right & well no thankfully proved me wrong been here ever since once i gave myself time to solve the real problem of putting past to bed & starting afresh here again, im enjoying my home!!!

Maybe if Ms Winterton had councellling for her past pain she could return to Accy & see it more in a different light - metaphorically its quite a beautiful picture once the smog clears
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:06   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I met her in Spitalfields and a party given by the artists Gilbert and George, who lived next door to my ex in Fournier Street.
Funny enough, I bumped into Gilbert about an hour and a half ago; I was head down in the paper coming out of the newsagents by the market and walked straight into him. Smartly attired as susual, with a whopping Panama hat. Somewhat oddly, George was not with him. I wonder if they've had a row?
Old 11-07-2006, 09:09   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Funny enough, I bumped into Gilbert about an hour and a half ago; I was head down in the paper coming out of the newsagents by the market and walked straight into him. Smartly attired as susual, with a whopping Panama hat. Somewhat oddly, George was not with him. I wonder if they've had a row?
He was probably still in the caff they go in like clock work every morning for their breakfast.

They used to spy on me sunbathing in the nuddy before I met them and I could tell some real tales about them...but you will have to wait for my book.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:24   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
I think its one of those things you do & say when you move out & life in new pastures was better for you to grow as an individual, its easy to blame the town because that seemed the only logical explanation
Right on the money, Mel. I had my share of personal problems in my teenage years and I couldn't wait to move away when I was 18. I remember on my last day in Accy, walking over Whinney Hill , looking down and thinking "I'll be glad to get out of this place." Of course, the grass wasn't greener and the problems were still there, even though I was a hundred miles away. Got homesick after a few years and was happy to move back, until other reasons caused me to move down the road later on. If I could though, I'd move back tomorrow. Perhaps I'm too over-protective of the place now!

Her shop looks interesting, though. I was thinking of dropping in on my way to the Barnet match, but then I saw the prices...over five quid for a bar of chocolate? Definitely, for trendy Londoners only!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:26   #29
Super Moderator

Who are Gilbert & George?...they sound like some end-of-the-pier variety act!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:38   #30
God Member

Gilbert & George are a pair of artists who have been around since the 1960's..they are the grand-daddies of modern British conceptual art. Best known work is "Sh*t in a Can"...plus a few other blasphemous images. they walk round the streets here like a pair of puffters, although rumour is one of 'ems supposed to be married.

Tracey Emin also lives and has her studio round here..she's the enfant terrible of conceptual art.(unmade bed, etc). About two years ago, her pussy went missing so naturally she blanketed the neighbourhood with "Have you seen this cat" posters which she did herself; naturally, they all got nicked as collectors items. Dunno what happened to the cat, though.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..