Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Street Names (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/street-names-39784.html)

katex 29-10-2010 09:29

Re: Street Names

We also get 'Raw'tenstall as written ... and we all know is pronounced Rottenstall... :D

garinda 29-10-2010 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 856307)
We also get 'Raw'tenstall as written ... and we all know is pronounced Rottenstall... :D

Very true, and Cattle-'ole street, in Ozzle-twistle.

:D

JCB 29-10-2010 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 856283)
Always amused me when presenters on Radio, etc., pronounced Whalley as Wally.

Yes , and there's Whalley Range in Manchester , pronounced as we pronounce Whalley , and it never gets Wally Range .

walkinman221 29-10-2010 16:00

Dont forget backup:D

davidf 29-10-2010 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 856183)
No, even back as far as the 1841 census it was called Eagle St.
Very few were refered to as roads then, 99% were called streets.
There is a Station Rd in Huncote. [and before any one says I've spelt Huncote wrong, forget it, that is the spelling in old documents].

Retlaw.

Thanks very much, Retlaw.
davidf

jaysay 30-10-2010 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 856307)

Its not if you've lived in the Valley Kate;)

jaysay 30-10-2010 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinman221 (Post 856408)
Dont forget backup:D

I've worked there walkinman and I don't want to remember it:D

Gremlin 30-10-2010 11:28

Thanks for all the replies regarding my query on the where abouts of The Slaters Arms.
I am still not 100% sure but was it next to where George Clarke's new (but now closed) motorcyle shop is. I seem to remember a paper shop there at some time.
I was working away all over the country for 30 years and my time in Accrington centre was a bit hazy to say the least. I blame the Horseshoe, Royal Oak, Old House, New Brewery, Broadway,Top Club and plenty more establishments who were there to sooth a troubled brow plus the Famous Grouse and my weak will.

cashman 30-10-2010 11:32

apart from top club, used to frequent all those boozers in the 60s if twas then our paths musta crossed.:D

Atarah 30-10-2010 12:09

Street Names

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, hope this helps. This was taken from an upstairs room across the way. The Slaters Arms would have been sited NEXT to what you possibly remember as a newsagents for years, then it became part of Clarksons Bikes, in other words it would have been at the top of what we know as Broadway (but in those days t'was Marquis Street). The Slaters Arms was demolished c.1934, to make way for Broadway, and if you look closely at the top of the building, you can see where the pub would have been attached. The Hope and Anchor pub is at the other side of the shop premises.
Hope this helps a little, but you are possibly far too young to remember the pub.

Atarah 30-10-2010 12:16

Street Names

1 Attachment(s)
This may help to give you more of an idea. Catlows, as we knew it, would have been at the L.H. corner of the photo, i.e. top of what we know as Broadway, the Slaters Arms would have been at the opposite corner i.e. also top of Broadway.

Retlaw 30-10-2010 12:26

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 856687)
This may help to give you more of an idea. Catlows, as we knew it, would have been at the L.H. corner of the photo, i.e. top of what we know as Broadway, the Slaters Arms would have been at the opposite corner i.e. also top of Broadway.

And attached is then street plan again.

Retlaw.

katex 30-10-2010 12:56

Are there any 'photos of the Spring Mill anywhere ? Just can't imagine such a big factory and the Brass Foundry too.

Gremlin 30-10-2010 14:20

Well at last I can say I know where the Slaters was. Much before my time I am sure.
The old cobble street looks a right good place to get your self black and blue with rolling down it after a few pints. Not to mention black and blue from the shady characters who would probably frequent the place.

Bob Dobson 15-12-2010 19:51

Back to the reasons for streets being called what they are :- Can anyone come up with why Lydia St is so called? I think I have the answer, but want to consult before declaring it

Marsden St is said to be named after a local family.(1870s) Do we know owt about 'em?

I read an intersting statistic recently - Between 1850 and 1856 there were 62 new streets laid out in Accrington.