Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By flashy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2009, 12:24   #1
Senior Member+

Oak Hill Mansion house history and few uptodate autumn piccys.

Historical background

The Oak Hill estate dates back to the middle of the 18th century, and for two generations or more belonged to the Woodward family. In 1801 the owner was Daniel Henry Woodward, who later changed his name to Daniel Lee WARNER (so history books tell us). He was the father of the Rev. Henry Lee-Warner, whose descendants owned considerable landed property in Accrington at the end of the 19th century. (Warner Street named after this family). In 1815 the land was leased to THOMAS HARGREAVES, head of the small Broad Oak Printworks, and subsequently bought by him. His works being just to the right of his mansion, down Shop Lane (which is directly opposite our todays Park Inn on Manchester Road). Under his direction, the works were enlarged over and over again and the Hargreaves family became the largest employer of labour in Accrington. Thomas died in 1822 aged 50 and the house, having been occupied by his widow for a while, eventually passed to his youngest son Jonathan, who enlarged it by the addition of a wing. Jonathan and his family occupied the house until c1856 - afterwards it was occupied by various notable Accrington families.

It originally contained - Ground Floor - a Hall, Drawing Room, Breakfast Room, Dining/Billiard Room and Kitchen. The Dining/Billiard room was 19'5" x 53'4"! Wow! Rather a LARGE room!!! The extension contained a library, pantry, butler's room, store and side hall. On the First floor was the landing, 5 bedrooms, dressing room, bathroom and 2 other "smaller rooms". The extension also had 2 bedrooms (one which as 33'3" x 21'2"), bathroom and another room. There was also a cellar which contained several rooms, under part only.

In 1852 the two storey extension was added to the left side of the mansion. It was probably about the same time that the wrought iron decorative Victorian verandah was added to the north side.

A Grade II medium sized Georgian stonebuilt house with early Victorian extension, of architectural and historical significance, so stated the "sale details" for Oak Hill Mansion, way back in c1990. It was eventually completely pulled down, stone by stone, had each stone numbered, and "re-built" around 1994. Does this mean is it still classed as a Grade II. Surely not?

Few piccys herewith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OakHillMansion.jpg (90.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg mansion2.jpg (92.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg mansion2005.JPG (200.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (462.6 KB, 57 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-10-2009, 13:40   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Oak Hill Mansion house history and few uptodate autumn piccys.

Here are a few more piccys ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldhillmansionoldview.jpg (407.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg oldhillmansionnewone.jpg (256.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg aliceliddell.jpg (186.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 24-10-2009, 14:17   #3
Senior Member+

And a couple more piccys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oakhillmay06.JPG (451.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg oakhillnov2005a.JPG (458.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 24-10-2009, 15:50   #4

Lovely photos
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 22:40   #5

I remember this being pulled down and rebuilt. Am I right in saying that it was up for sale for £1.00 with the proviso that it has to be restored to it's former glory? I say this because I begged my Mum to let me buy it! At the time £1.00 was my pocket money and I couldn't understand why she wouldn't let me buy it!!
bekibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 23:55   #6

It was true the Council offered it for sale for £1. Some foreign buyers were interested but assumed it included the Park. It was bought by the Abbeyfield charity who converted it into apartments for elderly people, with a manager on site. I'm glad that the house could be preserved.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:04   #7
God Member

Even though I live in Blackburn, I love bringing my nieces and nephew to Oakhill, somewhere I spent a lot of time when I was a child, my smallest niece (3) calls it the 'run down park' because on our way back to the bus stop we run all the way down holding hands, she loves it, as I do
cashman likes this.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:46   #8
Senior Member+

I remember reading in the real Observer that had been mailed to me, Bill Roach was interested in buying the place - can't be certain of the date but quite possibly in '70s/'80s, but not all grey cell contents are fully retrievable nowadays.
Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..